The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

20 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Get him on a Jim McLean contact. 

We tend to dilly dally with half decent prospects , waiting too long until they've got clubs queuing up for them. As you say , get him on a decent contract now !

21 minutes ago, billyg said:

We tend to dilly dally with half decent prospects , waiting too long until they've got clubs queuing up for them. As you say , get him on a decent contract now !

It would be just like us to finally get a decent striker through the youth system and for him never to play first team football.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Three lovely finishes.

Get him in the starting XI.:thumsup2

Was on the bench just a month after his 16th birthday back in January.

Watched a bit of the Barcelona game earlier and they had three 17 year olds in their starting 11 (Cubarsi, Bernal and Yamal). I do wonder sometimes why we can't be a bit braver with some of our younger players. The train of thought seems to be they have to go out on loan first. The last to get a run at a very young age was probably Erhahon and that was out of position!

Edited by Buttocks Brown

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Was on the bench just a month after his 16th birthday back in January.

Watched a bit of the Barcelona game earlier and they had three 17 year olds in their starting 11 (Cubarsi, Bernal and Yamal). I do wonder sometimes why we can't be a bit braver with some of our younger players. The train of thought seems to be they have to go out on loan first. The last to get a run at a very young age was probably Erhahon and that was out of position!

I definitely think it's time that a few young lads are given minutes here and there in a games to show what they can do.

Ethan Erhahon debuted at 16 and despite an understandably inconsistent start, his career has definitely benefited from that experience.

The crazy thing nowadays is if a player is really good and we don't play them as 17 or 18 year old we don't get to see them.  They will be bought for peanuts or freedom of contract as bigger teams want players young enough to develop in their youth teams. The days of keeping really good players for a 100 plus first team games is over. 

It's all very good saying get good young players on long contracts however these players will not sign long or even short contracts. Dylan Reid refused to sign a contract extension at 16 even after playing first team football with us. Signing for Palace in the EPL and tons of money was more appealing. Same with Murray Campbell refusing us to sign for Burnley in the EPL. And with Man City, Chelsea and Palace all interested in Sutherland I doubt he'll be signing a contract extension with us.

EPL clubs hoover up the best of Scottish talent I am sorry to say. We can offer contracts but agents, the EPL and money have more influence than playing against Ross County.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

It's all very good saying get good young players on long contracts however these players will not sign long or even short contracts. Dylan Reid refused to sign a contract extension at 16 even after playing first team football with us. Signing for Palace in the EPL and tons of money was more appealing. Same with Murray Campbell refusing us to sign for Burnley in the EPL. And with Man City, Chelsea and Palace all interested in Sutherland I doubt he'll be signing a contract extension with us.

EPL clubs hoover up the best of Scottish talent I am sorry to say. We can offer contracts but agents, the EPL and money have more influence than playing against Ross County.

As I've said before, we are in the unfortunate loophole that clubs aren't allowed to sign foreign players before 18 any more.

That doesn't apply to plauers moving within clubs in the British Isles though, even if changing FA registrations. So there is a definite loophole there that English clubs can snap up 16 and 17 year olds from Scotland, Wales, NI for their youths and they can leave immediately. There isn't anything we can really do except accept the compensation as the days of teams like Arsenal swooping in and taking a player like Cesc Fabregas at 15/16 is now simply impossible. So they will snap up any potentially decent talent from north of the border really early on.

Edited by djchapsticks

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I definitely think it's time that a few young lads are given minutes here and there in a games to show what they can do.

Ethan Erhahon debuted at 16 and despite an understandably inconsistent start, his career has definitely benefited from that experience.

Indeed.

I'd rather see Mooney come on as a sub today as opposed to one of the usual suspects.

At least he'll bust a gut and he appears to actually be able to finish when presented with a goal scoring chance.

Today is one of 6(six) home games I’m unable to attend before the end of the year. 

The club needs to look at introducing a system where season tickets like mine can be made available to others who otherwise can’t get a ticket. I’d happily make mine available for, say, a fiver and the club can keep the rest of the sell on fee. That would be a win-win-win scenario.  Don’t  Hertz have a scheme like that?

I remember the frustration I had before I got my ST, being unable to get a ticket and looking at all the empty seats on the TV. 

Not anywhere near hitting some panic button but if we are thinking of how to progress, we need to do better against that mob and their other ugly shadow.

Killie tactics worked last year. We need to watch and learn.

Once the news guys are better bedded in and folk fully recover we will be a lot better.

1 hour ago, medals said:

Not anywhere near hitting some panic button but if we are thinking of how to progress, we need to do better against that mob and their other ugly shadow.

Killie tactics worked last year. We need to watch and learn.

Once the news guys are better bedded in and folk fully recover we will be a lot better.

A fully fit squad will give us decent options. However we must simply have to get a striker before we play Dundee. 

Injuries are killing us right now. 

We are also trying to play players who havent had much football in months