The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

29 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Does the transfer window shut tomorrow or Saturday

Sky Sports reporting:
The Premier League, EFL and Scottish Premiership summer transfer windows shut on Friday August 30 at 11pm in England and Scotland; follow Deadline Day with Sky Sports

I'd imagine due to admin paperwork only on a weekday.

2 hours ago, callum-g said:

Players like Sutherland & Reid have to be exceptional when they head down south if they want to progress.  At their age , they are going head to head with youngsters who’ve been in their system for a decade and will normally be streets ahead of them In ability.
Very few Scottish 16,17 & 18 year olds moving to premier clubs will make it but you can’t criticise their desire to give it a shot. 
Good luck to Sutherland, hope he cracks it big time. 

One of my mates was the best youth striker in Wales and said when he signed for Man City in the 80's he suddenly realized everyone was a skillful and a fast as he was. 

I think the chances of making it from an English academy is around 5% or less 😒

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

One of my mates was the best youth striker in Wales and said when he signed for Man City in the 80's he suddenly realized everyone was a skillful and a fast as he was. 

My Daughters boyfriend was ex Man City youth.  His nephew was signed by City academy at 8 years old,  he’s 15 now , ,playing with the U-18s and Engerlund u18s & he’s not even considered to be the best in his age group .! 

Signed a boot contract with Adidas at age 14 !!   bloody mental ! 
It’s a whole different level down there . 

2 hours ago, Torfason said:

https://theconversation.com/being-released-from-a-football-academy-takes-a-serious-toll-on-young-players-new-research-189196

It’s grim reading about how few kids ever make it the top. There are so many sacrifices made by kids and families up and down the country.

Totally understand the money at play in the English top two leagues. No way can we compete. They have money to burn on assets - be that prospects or infrastructure.

Remember that guy Thierry Small we had on loan? He was one of the most promising kids in England and Everton paid out a huge “signing on” fee to secure his services.
He did nothing really of note at Goodison aside becoming their youngest first team player at the time he made his debut as a substitute and never played again for first team.

He was then transferred for a huge fee to Southampton and now he’s at Charlton.

The money these kids at top flight clubs are on is obscene. You can’t blame them for taking the wages on offer but perhaps it may curb their drive to progress.

13 minutes ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

I notice our old pals Brann have been knocked out the Euro conference league losing 3-2 on aggregate. Does anyone know why the game was played in Almaty which is over 1000 km away from Astana. 

And Astana was supposed to be an easier tie...

20 minutes ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

I notice our old pals Brann have been knocked out the Euro conference league losing 3-2 on aggregate. Does anyone know why the game was played in Almaty which is over 1000 km away from Astana. 

I'm not sure, though it certainly makes it easier to get to in what is already a difficult trip as it's less than an hour from the airport.

21 minutes ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

They were 2 up on aggregate at 59 mins, then conceded in the 60th 81st and 91st minutes not quite on the scale of the game we don’t mention but not far off. 

Also looks like Sky have the winner being scored by a guy that either wasn’t on the pitch yet or came on and scored with his first touch. 

4de61e3e-5766-491b-8211-62eed03a94a9.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Molotov said:

https://theconversation.com/being-released-from-a-football-academy-takes-a-serious-toll-on-young-players-new-research-189196

They have money to burn on assets.

The money these kids at top flight clubs are on is obscene. You can’t blame them for taking the wages on offer but perhaps it may curb their drive to progress.

It's pretty much always been like this except for the level of money, but even then even prospects have often been on big money for decades.

At every level in football, if a team can get someone better your out or on the way out, unless you have real potential to improve or are sellable.

The sacrifices too as level step up in most things are hard. (Gymnasts, olympics etc.)

Let's be honest whether it's at a boys level or seniors, most of us can see someone whose not gonna last in that team.

On 26/08/2024 at 19:28, RagaRocker said:

An incredibly poor away game. So insane dominant in the home game (91-9 possession in the 2nd half), but allowed Astana to do their thing today. They shouldve scored 5-6 goals. 

Brann were ok early in the game, but lost grip of it and allowed Astana to counter and do their cross passes and set pieces.

Brann tried to play their style, but started to lose the ball and then a huge blooper for 2-0 (our goalie boxed the ball into a CB and into the net) and a way worse blooper in min 90. Our left back, who looked injured for 20 minutes got the ball and planned to pass it to the goal keeper to calm things down... But he sent it to the striker.

Edited by RagaRocker

3 hours ago, Torfason said:

Premier League announced some figures a few years ago, from their highest category of academy.

3% will play a single Premier League game, 70% don't get a professional contract at any point, and 1 in 10 make 20+ appearances in the top 4 tiers of English football.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Premier League announced some figures a few years ago, from their highest category of academy.

3% will play a single Premier League game, 70% don't get a professional contract at any point, and 1 in 10 make 20+ appearances in the top 4 tiers of English football.

Should be a cap on academy sizes. It's f**king insane. 

32 minutes ago, RagaRocker said:

An incredibly poor away game. So insane dominant in the home game (91-9 possession in the 2nd half), but allowed Astana to do their thing today. They shouldve scored 5-6 goals. 

Brann were ok early in the game, but lost grip of it and allowed Astana to counter and do their cross passes and set pieces.

Brann tried to play their style, but started to lose the ball and then a huge blooper for 2-0 (our goalie boxed the ball into a CB and into the net) and a way worse blooper in min 90. Our left back, who looked injured for 20 minutes got the ball and planned to pass it to the goal keeper to calm things down... But he sent it to the striker.

I thought you should have won the first leg by more than two. I only managed to watch the last 10 minutes today and the 3rd goal was a disaster so late in the game. I enjoyed watching your team over the last two rounds.

20 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Should be a cap on academy sizes. It's f**king insane. 

Man City apparently have over 30 players in each of the 8 age group squads between u9 and u21.

1 hour ago, DumbartonBud said:

They were 2 up on aggregate at 59 mins, then conceded in the 60th 81st and 91st minutes not quite on the scale of the game we don’t mention but not far off. 

Also looks like Sky have the winner being scored by a guy that either wasn’t on the pitch yet or came on and scored with his first touch. 

4de61e3e-5766-491b-8211-62eed03a94a9.jpeg

branns version of hammerby