The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Robinson's hit rate for signings has been very good. Considering he's been picking up lads from obscurity, it's been quite remarkable. So, I'm happy to forgive a few signings who don't do so well.

Unfortunately it seems that this season the players who struggle have far outweighed those who hit the ground running.

There's still time for these guys to turn it around though. And a fair few to come back from injury. Top 6 is a big ask, but I'm not worrying about relegation just yet.

11 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Is he cracking?

Don't often see him throwing the players under the bus like that.

Guess what interview was yesterday, and what interview was his last with Motherwell, before he resigned stating he'd spent a while there, improved everything at the club from when he joined, but realised things were going stale and he couldn't sort it.

Screenshot_20241020_073506_Chrome.thumb.jpg.de82b61aaa07d079f5900ec030c98f52.jpg

Or...

Screenshot_20241020_073525_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3539c37d435c8656c9985b27d19a4de0.jpg

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

How many new players have you got?

I ask because we signed about 10 new players and I think this was a big part of why we have struggled to find our form but we are getting back to normal.

Balcombe

Rooney

Iacovitti

Adeniran

Idowu

Smyth

Phillips

Van Veen

Brown (He was previously on loan, but didn't get much game time)

We also had to sign Dunne, who we had released, as a free agent due to Taylor and Iacovitti's injuries.

Several of these players hadn't played regularly at least six months due to either being deemed not good enough at their clubs or being injured. So in effect were trying to up their match fitness.

The overall quality of players we've signed has been a downgrade on last season. I suspect a couple of them were forced upon us due to injuries to other players.

We lost Bacchus, Strain and Bolton, who were all first picks when fit. We also lost Hemming in goal, who contrary to some people's views, did pretty well for us last season.

Kiltie and McMenamin, who both played regularly are just returning from a few months of injury and Iacovitti, has, bar a couple of games, been injured since he signed. Richard Taylor has just had to have surgery for a hernia.

A succession of niggling Injuries have meant that our defence and midfield have had different players in there almost every week.

Up front, the manager doesn't seem to know who to stick with and where to best play them. So we've had numerous permutations that haven't really clicked.

Top that off with a huge drop in form, from players like O'Hara, Gogic, and Mandron and you can see why we are where we are.

Off the top of my head, the only player I'd give pass marks to is Oluysanya. Unfortunately he's being played a bit wider of late and that really doesn't get the best out of him. You could see how hard he was trying yesterday, but he got more and more frustrated being surrounded by players that couldn't keep the ball for more than four or five passes and fired endless punts to no one up the park.

We've also just lost our highly rated assistant manager Diarmud O'Carroll to Newcastle, which won't have helped matters either.

As has the Rooney situation, as he was one of the few who had been doing relatively well.

Sorry for coming over all Calimero.

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Guess what interview was yesterday, and what interview was his last with Motherwell, before he resigned stating he'd spent a while there, improved everything at the club from when he joined, but realised things were going stale and he couldn't sort it.

He spoke a bit about that last year: 

Robinson on how quitting Motherwell rejuvenated him as a manager - https://www.bbc.com/sport/articles/c29yp8wkr7eo

Cited C19 as playing a role and thinks he's better placed to deal with pressure now. It's a very brave man who resigns as a manager at our level as you can end up in the wilderness pretty quickly. Not sure he'd take the risk again. 

I agree with FTOF’s post, though I think Marcus also deserves pass marks. The amount of injuries has been overlooked a bit and obviously the new recruits have yet to make their mark. Not a great combination, but perhaps if we had played StJ or RC earlier in the season we might be less concerned about the points tally so far. Hopefully Balcombe settles down and finds a bit of form, but, failing that, we really need to be looking at a replacement. My other concern is whether the players can switch to a back four after playing so long in a back 3/5. I trust Robbo to make that call.

We've been bobbins for some time now, some of the performances have been decent yet we've lost and some, like yesterday, have been dug shit.

I am sure Robinson can get a tune out of this squad, the problem is time. I don't think there is any St Mirren fan that wants Robinson punted, and it's fair to say he's built up a lot of credit over his time with us, but we can't keep on this run as we are currently in relegation form (it's the same form as those rooted to the bottom of the table - one of those being the team that just took four off us with no reply!)

The silver lining is that despite these losses, we've managed to remain fairly static in the table. Funnily enough, it's our victories against the Edinburgh team that have given us that cushion. 

42 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Balcombe

Rooney

Iacovitti

Adeniran

Idowu

Smyth

Phillips

Van Veen

We also had to sign Dunne, who we had released, as a free agent due to Taylor and Iacovitti's injuries.

Several of these players hadn't played regularly at least six months due to either being deemed not good enough at their clubs or being injured. So in effect were trying to up their match fitness.

The overall quality of players we've signed has been a downgrade on last season. I suspect a couple of them were forced upon us due to injuries to other players.

We lost Bacchus, Strain and Bolton, who were all first picks when fit. We also lost Hemming in goal, who contrary to some people's views, did pretty well for us last season.

Kiltie and McMenamin, who both played regularly are just returning from a few months of injury and Iacovitti, has, bar a couple of games, been injured since he signed. Richard Taylor has just had to have surgery for a hernia.

A succession of niggling Injuries have meant that our defence and midfield have had different players in there almost every week.

Up front, the manager doesn't seem to know who to stick with and where to best play them. So we've had numerous permutations that haven't really clicked.

Top that off with a huge drop in form, from players like O'Hara, Gogic, and Mandron and you can see why we are where we are.

Off the top of my head, the only player I'd give pass marks to is Oluysanya. Unfortunately he's being played a bit wider of late and that really doesn't get the best out of him. You could see how hard he was trying yesterday, but he got more and more frustrated being surrounded by players that couldn't keep the ball for more than four or five passes and fired endless punts to no one up the park.

We've also just lost our highly rated assistant manager Diarmud O'Carroll to Newcastle, which won't have helped matters either.

As has the Rooney situation, as he was one of the few who had been doing relatively well.

That's a lot of problems.

It can take a while for players that have been out for a long time to find their form/match fitness. It's a frustrating wait like new signing fitting in with their new teammates. 

9 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

That's a lot of problems.

It can take a while for players that have been out for a long time to find their form/match fitness. It's a frustrating wait like new signing fitting in with their new teammates. 

What is most frustrating is that several of them are of our own making.

One of the main failings was not replacing Bolton with a right sided CH.

Having said all that I have, where we are just now, shouldn't prevent players doing the basics on the park, which we really aren't doing.

Edited by FTOF

12 hours ago, Molotov said:

Let’s not forget two seasons ago Dundee United were relegated following a disappointing loss in Europe.

Last season Hibs and Aberdeen finished bottom 6 following European games. 

Our squad clearly did not have enough depth to deal with Europe, injuries, suspensions, off field shenanigans etc. 

Losing players like Baccus, Strain, Bolton and Hemming was not ideal. The assistant manager moving on has been a loss I’m sure.

All the other 3 clubs listed had much bigger resources than us and all suffered a European hangover.

Let’s all try and get behind the players and staff and support the club through this difficult period.

Things could be worse……after all think of those poor Morten fans.

Just to add to this, last time St Johnstone played in Europe we ended the season in the play-off. And that was on the back of 5th place and a double cup win.

The dream of Europe often seems to be a bit of a monkey’s paw for many non-OF Scottish clubs.

Although we have a raft of new signings the established players have been poor imho. Besides Taylor, no-one in the defence has confidence on the ball resulting in aimless punts or repetitive pass backs and square passes. Without Taylor we have no-one than can make/see a pass or drive into midfield.

Our captain is a shadow of the player from 2 years ago. Doesn't drive the team on, lead by example or organise. A midfield engine that needs an overhaul.

Up top we needed help for Toyosi and VV maybe that help but not in a front 3. However injuries are dictating formations at the moment.

We can talk about losing Baccus and Strain however Strain was injured for half the season and Baccus was dropped in January in favour of CBM.

The new guys aren't all as bad as some make out but the old guard have to take far more responsibility to help them and themselves. In our last home game a ball was laid off to our captain at the edge of the box for a clear shot. Instead he passed it back the way. That is the sort of mentality that has to change.

13 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

We can talk about losing Baccus and Strain however Strain was injured for half the season and Baccus was dropped in January in favour of CBM.

You're right, although we were a better team when those two played. Also, having Baccus to come off the bench was a big plus. We also had Kwon who fitted in very well.

Right now we've got O'Hara and CBM who aren't firing on all cylinders. And no one else who looks like they could come in and make the position theirs. Smyth and Adeniran have shown flashes but not really stepped up. Maybe they need a run of games. Phillips has been decent to be fair.

Edited by houston_bud

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

You're right, although we were a better team when those two played. Also, having Baccus to come off the bench was a big plus. We also had Kwon who fitted in very well.

Right now we've got O'Hara and CBM who aren't firing on all cylinders. And no one else who looks like they could come in and make the position theirs. Smyth and Adeniran have shown flashes but not really stepped up. Maybe they need a run of games. Phillips has been decent to be fair.

Phillips is the only midfield player who should be a starter. He looks the part. The rest are wtaf this season. Kwon and Baccus moved the ball forward and carried the ball. MOH and CBM are not doing it. 

The one player I was expecting more from is Adeniran. He has a good pedigree and should stroll it in midfield but he is not getting up to speed. 

A couple of tweaks could get us moving up the table. 

We need a ball carrying midfielder. Someone to drive us up the park. 

Move Phillips to centre midfield and go back to a back 5. 

Sign a RCB and get another keeper in. 

See its simple lol

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Balcombe

Rooney

Iacovitti

Adeniran

Idowu

Smyth

Phillips

Van Veen

That last line deserves a greenie😂

59 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

The Dundee Utd & Hearts games will hopefully be a wake-up call for the manager on 4-3-3. It's not working.

I think we need a run of games with a settled team at 3-5-2. That's what's been successful for us in the past and the players are comfortable with it. Can mess about with the formation when we're playing better and have got a bit of confidence again. 

Fraser-Gogic-Dunne/Taylor as a back 3

Bwomono and Tanser wing backs

Kiltie, MoH, Phillips in the middle

KVV-Olusanya

That's our strongest team at the moment I reckon. Go with it in the 4 games before the next international break and then we'll see where we are.

32 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

The Dundee Utd & Hearts games will hopefully be a wake-up call for the manager on 4-3-3. It's not working.

I think we need a run of games with a settled team at 3-5-2. That's what's been successful for us in the past and the players are comfortable with it. Can mess about with the formation when we're playing better and have got a bit of confidence again. 

Fraser-Gogic-Dunne/Taylor as a back 3

Bwomono and Tanser wing backs

Kiltie, MoH, Phillips in the middle

KVV-Olusanya

That's our strongest team at the moment I reckon. Go with it in the 4 games before the next international break and then we'll see where we are.

You beat us last month playing with a back 3. It does look like a mistake by the manager to change it to a back 4.