The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Looks like there’s very little chance we’ll be signing Ronan, Jones or Gogic permanently.

Expected for Ronan, and to a lesser extent Jones, but thought Gogic would have been nailed on. Completely respect his decision though.

Looks like there’s very little chance we’ll be signing Ronan, Jones or Gogic permanently.

Expected for Ronan, and to a lesser extent Jones, but thought Gogic would have been nailed on. Completely respect his decision though.

That's shit. I thought Gogic with contract ending at Hibs would be a dead set for us to go for.

I'm actually more gutted at the prospect of us losing out on Gogic than Jones or Ronan purely because I never had hope or expectation that Jones or Ronan would be in our range to sign permanently.

I thought we had a real chance of keeping hold of Gogic in summer though.

35 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm actually more gutted at the prospect of us losing out on Gogic than Jones or Ronan purely because I never had hope or expectation that Jones or Ronan would be in our range to sign permanently.

Yeah, this. I guess at least the guy's been honest from the outset and you can't fault his reasons. But I pretty much had my heart set on seeing him strolling about our midfield for the next three seasons.

And yeah, maybe we could get JJ back on loan again, but he really is a cut above and there would be a lot of competition. Watching him against St Johnstone I kept finding myself amazed that we'd got him, tbh.

38 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah, same here, I thought Gogic was a real probable, so a bit dissapointed in that. He's not the greatest player on the planet, but he does give our midfeild just that wee bit more balance.

It also sounded like Alnwick was away as well. Can't really blame him, but will be tough to replace. It didn't really sound like they were massively convinced about Lyness as a no 1 keeper, so will be in the market there as well. The comments about McGrath as well really drive home where we are salary wise, as Goodwin was saying he loved it here, but he's trebled or quadrupled his wages going elsewhere. These guys practically have no choice but to move on considering it's a short career.

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, this. I guess at least the guy's been honest from the outset and you can't fault his reasons. But I pretty much had my heart set on seeing him strolling about our midfield for the next three seasons.

And yeah, maybe we could get JJ back on loan again, but he really is a cut above and there would be a lot of competition. Watching him against St Johnstone I kept finding myself amazed that we'd got him, tbh.

Thing about Jones as well is that he's quite clearly miles off it fitness wise. He was practically at walking pace towards the end on Wednesday. If he stays injury free he's going to get much better. Even if he stays in Scotland you'd think Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs would want him.

I feel come the end of the season people will say "Gogic, yeah, he's alright, I'm not that bothered if he stays or not". He's had a good start, sure, but there was a reason he's wasn't playing for Hibs, and I think his performance will drop to the point where he'll just be Power Mk II.

It's a pity that we can't keep good players but we should take heart that Jim is able to convince quality players to sign shorter term deals in the first place. I am sure many of our opposition with bigger budgets are a bit miffed we signed the likes of McGrath, McCarthy, JDH, Ronan, Jones and Gogic.

32 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

It's a pity that we can't keep good players but we should take heart that Jim is able to convince quality players to sign shorter term deals in the first place. I am sure many of our opposition with bigger budgets are a bit miffed we signed the likes of McGrath, McCarthy, JDH, Ronan, Jones and Gogic.

Jim's not had too many absolutely honking signings at all to be fair to him. It's just a pity most of the ones he's had have been strikers!

Cypriot Alex Gogic wanting to bring up his kids in Cyprus instead of Paisley isn’t a great shock tbh.
Going to miss him though :(
I’m sure we are already working on summer recruitment for replacements for these guys.
Our Premiership status being secured so early gives us a head start in the market, which is a big advantage.

I feel come the end of the season people will say "Gogic, yeah, he's alright, I'm not that bothered if he stays or not". He's had a good start, sure, but there was a reason he's wasn't playing for Hibs, and I think his performance will drop to the point where he'll just be Power Mk II.
Power has been excellent this season. His fitness levels are superb.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Ric said:

Just imagine if we had Power or Gogic last season we'd have made at least 1 Cup final and probably would have made the top 6.

The inexperience in our midfield cost us.

All clubs of our size will lose good players - it's going to be basically a revolving door, losing the best guys after 1-2 seasons.

As St Johnstone have found, and we did to a lesser extent this summer, you need to be on the front foot almost constantly to ensure you're proactively replacing these guys. We failed to replace Connolly and Durmus, and hoped that sticking with our 3-5-2 would paper over the cracks. We have just about got away with having one flawed transfer window, and at least we've made amends with Jones, Greive and Gogic.

As Lex says, we are safe now and I would imagine we're starting to line up replacements for the guys who'll be away. 

10 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Ric said:

At times, yes, also he's not great at times. That's sort of what you expect at our level, if they could perform at a high level week in week out they wouldn't be playing for us.

He's started well, and he'll do a job for us, but, as I say, at the end of the season I feel people will be for more "meh", than "yeah" about him.

5 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Just imagine if we had Power or Gogic last season we'd have made at least 1 Cup final and probably would have made the top 6.

The inexperience in our midfield cost us.

Not sure Gogic would made all that much a difference in regard to top 6 and/or cup. They wouldn't be a negative addition to the team, of course, but it was an overall failure to perform on the days we needed the team to do so that cost us.

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

Not sure Gogic would made all that much a difference in regard to top 6 and/or cup. They wouldn't be a negative addition to the team, of course, but it was an overall failure to perform on the days we needed the team to do so that cost us.

Disagree with that. As @sergie's no1 fan points out, most notably in the Livi SF, our midfield was completely missing and we were utterly bossed by Bartley in particular, who was my MotM on the day. It was painful how much we lacked a guy like that in the middle. It's hard to say it would have changed the result, but with the signings of Power and Gogic it's safe to say Jim has learned from those games.

32 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's hard to say it would have changed the result, but with the signings of Power and Gogic it's safe to say Jim has learned from those games.

Power just replaced Foley, and Gogic looks like he was the replacement for Power. All very similar players, imo, just an incremental age gap. Less "lessons learned" than Goodwin likes having a certain type of defensive midfielder.

You are, of course, completely right, we just don't know how that would have improved us, or even if it would.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Players come and go so recruitment is crucial. Players will be available for example Charles Regan Cook who would clearly improve our squad. Jim will have targets just need the board to back him

Whilst I'd love it, he'll be well out of our reach.