The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

53 minutes ago, billyg said:

Heard another few wee snippets last night after the AGM , eg Robinson not 100% set to stay , he was first choice for the NI job but we demanded heavy compensation and there are clubs in England sniffing about him too. 

Aw FFS. Just... No.

56 minutes ago, billyg said:

Heard another few wee snippets last night after the AGM , eg Robinson not 100% set to stay , he was first choice for the NI job but we demanded heavy compensation and there are clubs in England sniffing about him too. 

I don't know how true that is. I'm not saying they weren't interested but not sure that would have been a deciding factor.

Compensation for a manager is always the remainder of their contract as far as I'm aware - we're not in a position to demand more than that, nor is any other club.

A genuine surprise that AW was not elected.

Surely even Mr St Mirren can see now that the majority of fans are not on his side and he has gone about things entirely in the wrong manner.

He tried to pull a page from previous candidate's playbook, but took it a step further and it's backfired.

Draw a line under it and get on with things now. Let that be the end of the ridiculousness.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

1 minute ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

A genuine surprise that AW was not elected.

Surely even Mr St Mirren can see now that the majority of fans are not on his side and he has goen about things entirely in the wrong manner.

He tried to pull a page from previous candidate's playbook, but took it a step further and it's backfired.

Draw a line under it and get on with things now. Let that be the end of the ridiculousness.

Hopefully someone from within the Board can contact AW and hopefully they can all find a way forward....as you say "draw a line under it" but from all perspectives.

21 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I doubt we will sign Moult, good player but as one Motherwell fan put it, he's held together by sellotape.

Robinson has already said he's fed up moving on so hopefully he might be persuaded to stay and build something.

I took from his statement back then he was in for the long haul but money talks, just enjoying the ride ATM. 

22 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I doubt we will sign Moult, good player but as one Motherwell fan put it, he's held together by sellotape.

Robinson has already said he's fed up moving on so hopefully he might be persuaded to stay and build something.

That is what I thought. Robbo was looking to stay put for a period as was fed up moving around. 

I can see him staying but he must be frustrated with the cuts and fighting behind the scenes.

32 minutes ago, Stu said:

Complete guess and only because I saw a retweet about him being released by Burton, but wonder if Louis Moult is one. Worked with him at Motherwell, although Moult seems to have had a torrid time with injuries since then.

There's a few Saints fans talking Moult up on twitter as potentially one of the players we've offered to.

I'm saying he's not on three fronts.

1) He's completely and utterly broken at this point. His season long loan deal at Motherwell got cut short after about half a dozen games as he is so injured. Which is a shame as a fit Louis Moult would have been a fucking get and a half.

2) Robinson in the quote above mentioned players hitting prime years and maximising their earnings, so clearly speaking of Dunne and Main who are both 30 and need to get a big move, suggesting the players he's offering to are younger. Moult, at 31 doesn't fit this demographic at all. This likely rules out 29 year old Cole Stockton as well.

3) Unless he is strictly offered a PAYP deal, then he's going to be an earner in the Watt or Brophy category and far, far too high a risk to take for someone who has started 4 games of football and played 700 or so minutes in the last 4 years.

It's a fucking massive 'no' from me.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

There's a few Saints fans talking Moult up on twitter as potentially one of the players we've offered to.

I'm saying he's not on three fronts.

1) He's completely and utterly broken at this point. His season long loan deal at Motherwell got cut short after about half a dozen games as he is so injured. Which is a shame as a fit Louis Moult would have been a fucking get and a half.

2) Robinson in the quote above mentioned players hitting prime years and maximising their earnings, so clearly speaking of Dunne and Main who are both 30 and need to get a big move, suggesting the players he's offering to are younger. Moult, at 31 doesn't fit this demographic at all. This likely rules out 29 year old Cole Stockton as well.

3) Unless he is strictly offered a PAYP deal, then he's going to be an earner in the Watt or Brophy category and far, far too high a risk to take for someone who has started 4 games of football and played 700 or so minutes in the last 4 years.

It's a fucking massive 'no' from me.

I'd taken it the same as yourself. Bedeau is contracted, as is the boy from Fulham. Surely couldn't open contract talks on under contract players, unless something has been agreed in principal with their clubs.

I genuinely thought Louis Moult retired after his short stint at Motherwell due to injuries. Seems far too high a risk with his injury history. We are already needing to wait till around October on Ayunga returning, so we need players fit and ready.

1 minute ago, smellthepaw said:

I'd taken it the same as yourself. Bedeau is contracted, as is the boy from Fulham. Surely couldn't open contract talks on under contract players, unless something has been agreed in principal with their clubs.

Yeah the direct quote is above so I'm taking it as out of contract players and not Bedeau or Bowie.

Which would be interesting then as that means that we're in for three defenders given we've actually tabled a bid for Bedeau and offered deals to another two.

I would be fuming if we were in for Moult.

We have one permanently crocked striker on the books already.

A prime, fit Moult would not even entertain joining us. He'd be playing at a far higher level, that's how good he is/was.

A broken down, injured Moult would be like chucking money straight in the bin.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

I don't think there is any danger of us signing Moult, he had to leave Motherwell halfway through his loan because he was completely broken. It's not the kind of signing Robinson would make.

I half wondered if you lot would try and get Chris Kane, tbh.

Very few players can do that sort of graft Curtis Main can, especially experienced ones at this level.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Very few players can do that sort of graft Curtis Main can, especially experienced ones at this level.

No thanks you keep him

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I wouldn't be too disappointed if we signed Kane. I think he's a downgrade on Main, but he's often caused us problems and probably fits the old adage of a 'Robinson player'. He'd be an ok addition to the squad I think.

Kane is decent enough but as said above, for me he's a clear downgrade on Main. He's also no longer in that 'potential to come really good' category given he's 29 this year (I still had him pinned as about 25. Can't believe he's been about as long as he has).

11 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Obika is out of contract at the end of the season. Would be a decent squad option. 

Not for me. Again, would be a step backwards and isn't fitting that demographic of players Robinson suggesting he'd be after.

23 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Kane is decent enough but as said above, for me he's a clear downgrade on Main. He's also no longer in that 'potential to come really good' category given he's 29 this year (I still had him pinned as about 25. Can't believe he's been about as long as he has).

Me too, which is odd as he looks closer to 45.

54 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've got a feeling we'll be looking to Alex Greive to step up into the first choice works-hard-but-rarely-scores forward role next season.

Opposition fans almost always refer to him as a handful, and he's probably good for 6-7 goals a season if he starts more games. He doesn't hold the ball up as well as Main, but, frankly, who does?