The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I've got a feeling we'll be looking to Alex Greive to step up into the first choice works-hard-but-rarely-scores forward role next season.

Opposition fans almost always refer to him as a handful, and he's probably good for 6-7 goals a season if he starts more games. He doesn't hold the ball up as well as Main, but, frankly, who does?

I like Greive, he's busy and committed. Whilst he gets stuck in he doesn't have the physical prescene of Main (like you say, who does?). I suppose Ayunga has that presence, so it's not like we would have no one to rough up any defenders.

3 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

A genuine surprise that AW was not elected.

Surely even Mr St Mirren can see now that the majority of fans are not on his side and he has gone about things entirely in the wrong manner.

He tried to pull a page from previous candidate's playbook, but took it a step further and it's backfired.

Draw a line under it and get on with things now. Let that be the end of the ridiculousness.

The behaviour of certain folk over the last seven days ensures that's the last thing that'll happen.

Did the conference league/B team nonsense come up? Have asked SMiSA and John Needham on Twitter what the stance is but won't hold my breath.

Edited by Stu

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

The behaviour of certain folk over the last seven days ensures that's the last thing that'll happen.

Did the conference league/B team nonsense come up? Have asked SMiSA and John Needham on Twitter what the stance is but won't hold my breath.

Tbh, I've a feeling this is one where fans won't be consulted due to the potential cost implications. 

Taking a look at Aberdeen's statement saying they can't afford it, there's no way we'd be able to either

51 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I've got a feeling we'll be looking to Alex Greive to step up into the first choice works-hard-but-rarely-scores forward role next season.

Opposition fans almost always refer to him as a handful, and he's probably good for 6-7 goals a season if he starts more games. He doesn't hold the ball up as well as Main, but, frankly, who does?

I noticed a real change in Greive at the Hearts game, he was far more willing to get tore in putting his weight about and chasing every ball, a close season programme with a strength coach and some protein drinks would see him make huge gains for the start of next season and really push on. 

32 minutes ago, Lola montez said:

I noticed a real change in Greive at the Hearts game, he was far more willing to get tore in putting his weight about and chasing every ball, a close season programme with a strength coach and some protein drinks would see him make huge gains for the start of next season and really push on. 

I think that was what inspired my post, tbh. He really set about Hearts and put a real shift in. He'll never be prolific, IMO, but we've seen that's not necessarily our model for a forward anyway (as nice as it might be to have).

1 hour ago, dublin_bud said:

Tbh, I've a feeling this is one where fans won't be consulted due to the potential cost implications. 

Taking a look at Aberdeen's statement saying they can't afford it, there's no way we'd be able to either

My concern is whether or not we'll be voting in favour of it. I sincerely hope we aren't even thinking of entering a team.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think Greive has more to offer and will improve given chances, coaching etc.  He is also capable of getting more than 7 or 8 goals, but needs to do to hold down a starting position - trouble is will he get a run of starts?

1 hour ago, Lola montez said:

I'd said on Saturday, for the time he was on the park, thats the best I've seen him. If whenever got taken off injured, who knows, he may have came up with the winner.

19 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I'd said on Saturday, for the time he was on the park, thats the best I've seen him. If whenever got taken off injured, who knows, he may have came up with the winner.

Totally agree. His distribution and hold up play was the best I have seen him. Great turn of pace as well. There is a player in there. He is a decent prospect

4 hours ago, Stu said:

No , it wasn't even mentioned !

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Totally agree. His distribution and hold up play was the best I have seen him. Great turn of pace as well. There is a player in there. He is a decent prospect

I don't rate him but I did think everything changed when he went off and Kiltie moved out of midfield. Thought we were pretty comfortable until that point.

I’m happy with the contribution of Greive, Main, and Ayunga. Watt too. If any/all of them leave, would be an undoubted blow, working on that old adage that ‘is any new signing better than what we have already’. It’s modern fitba’ though. Wouldn’t be the same if you kept decent squads together. No, we need ten departures of guys we don’t really want to lose, and a pamper-soiling close season.

Get it sorted Needham, Kibble, Mr. St Mirren, anyone. Get rid of these decent players… gie’s a rebuild. 😛

8 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

A genuine surprise that AW was not elected.

Surely even Mr St Mirren can see now that the majority of fans are not on his side and he has gone about things entirely in the wrong manner.

He tried to pull a page from previous candidate's playbook, but took it a step further and it's backfired.

Draw a line under it and get on with things now. Let that be the end of the ridiculousness.

It didn’t seem to stop him having a go, and there were quite a few folk there who obviously hate the Kibble, although my take on it is they are just the vocal minority. 
There was a suggestion to have an independent audit of the facts, because both sides claim to have paper trails, so you’ve maybe not heard the last of this. 

35 minutes ago, Friskysteed said:

It didn’t seem to stop him having a go, and there were quite a few folk there who obviously hate the Kibble, although my take on it is they are just the vocal minority. 
There was a suggestion to have an independent audit of the facts, because both sides claim to have paper trails, so you’ve maybe not heard the last of this. 

The whole thing is such a god-awful small affair...

And speaking of which:

Screenshot_20230518-201433.png

2 hours ago, Torfason said:

Centre half, just been released by Portsmouth, still only 29 and might fancy coming back up the road. 

Depends what the plans are. Gallagher isn't the most mobile. Some people say Fraser isn't the best defender, but is mobile. We need mobile defenders with Gallagher. Gallagher 100 percent the better defender, but isn't the quickest.