The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

27 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

If Kennedy is going to be first choice then I fear it’ll be another bottom 6 battle for us.

No one has actually said we are even looking at him. Again the baseless rumour mill in full swing

I was listening the Misery Hunters season review and found the conversation about the way supporters treat our youth graduates when they make their way into the first team very interesting.

It got me thinking about the latest crop of youngsters in the squad and which ones could really force their way into the team regularly.

Among this current crop we've got some strikers - which I don't really ever recall from us before - and I have concerns that if they don't start scoring 10-15 a season, a section of the support will turn on them - similar to the way they did with Jack Baird and Marc McAusland - which I really hope doesn't happen. Evean more recently, there were ones giving Erhahon a hard time.

Don't get me wrong, this is usually from "yer da" types, who think anyone who comes through the ranks should be a diehard supporter and whenever anythign goes wrong, they're to blame. A nonsense.

As for the upcoming season, I've got high hope for young Fraser Taylor. In his fleeting glimpses towards the tail-end of last season, I liked what I saw. He's very tidy in possession and plays the simple pass and just keeps possession of the ball. He's a very calm on the ball for someone so young. The obvious roadblock for him could be his size - or lack of - but I really hope he gets more opportunities this season.

It does feel like a wee while since we brought a very successful one through - like a McAllister, Morgan, Mallan, McGinn, McLean etc. I know we had Erhahon last year, but he had be in and around the squad for a couple of seasons and things only really seemed to start clicking for him last season.

Who do we reckon will be the next one to burst onto the scene and into the first team regularly?

14 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I was listening the Misery Hunters season review and found the conversation about the way supporters treat our youth graduates when they make their way into the first team very interesting.

It got me thinking about the latest crop of youngsters in the squad and which ones could really force their way into the team regularly.

Among this current crop we've got some strikers - which I don't really ever recall from us before - and I have concerns that if they don't start scoring 10-15 a season, a section of the support will turn on them - similar to the way they did with Jack Baird and Marc McAusland - which I really hope doesn't happen. Evean more recently, there were ones giving Erhahon a hard time.

Don't get me wrong, this is usually from "yer da" types, who think anyone who comes through the ranks should be a diehard supporter and whenever anythign goes wrong, they're to blame. A nonsense.

As for the upcoming season, I've got high hope for young Fraser Taylor. In his fleeting glimpses towards the tail-end of last season, I liked what I saw. He's very tidy in possession and plays the simple pass and just keeps possession of the ball. He's a very calm on the ball for someone so young. The obvious roadblock for him could be his size - or lack of - but I really hope he gets more opportunities this season.

It does feel like a wee while since we brought a very successful one through - like a McAllister, Morgan, Mallan, McGinn, McLean etc. I know we had Erhahon last year, but he had be in and around the squad for a couple of seasons and things only really seemed to start clicking for him last season.

Who do we reckon will be the next one to burst onto the scene and into the first team regularly?

I'm a big fan of Erhahon and accepted his flaws and that he had time on his side with his age, to correct. It's a shame the early part of his development was somewhat hampered by being played at left-back due to injuries in the squad. He may have not got near the first team at all at that stage if it were not for injuries, though you are talking around 18 months or so playing a completely different role. I felt the club wasted an opportunity to loan him out and get him the game time he required in his natural position. We did so for the likes of Cammy Macpherson and Ethan was a better player.
Fortunately we had one or two in the squad who took the mantle of his place in midfield when he left for Lincoln, though I do think he was more effective.
I still believe if he knuckles down at Lincoln, he could get a bigger move and potentially get a Scotland call up in the next few years ahead.  

Moving on to current youth prospects, I do agree on Taylor, he does seem to have something there. It's very difficult for young players to come into an already competitive setup, especially when the club are striving to push top 6 each season. For strikers/forwards, if they are not showing stats on goals or assists, its an easy target. I do feel with the likes of Taylor though, there is not as much pressure on him to deliver these as long as he's performing well and showing he can play as good as the players around him.
Jamieson for me is within an age bracket of make or break at the club. I personally feel he is there as a lower wage option so we are not short in numbers. 
Offord, I know the academy rate very highly. The difference with Kieran is, he has a little more time with his age on his side. For his development, I think the club may try to look at championship level to loan him out to so he's getting regular game time at a good level.

The good feeling running through the club at the moment with the management team committing to another two years, is that the positivity comes from all the coaching staff. The manager himself has proven to be such a good motivator for the more senior players.

But I’ve got confidence he’ll give the younger players like Taylor, Offord and Jamieson a chance to show they have what it takes at this level to compete.
It does take time and youngsters need to be given that time to adjust to the rigours of first team football.  

Ethan always had the talent and ability to go further in the game, he just lacked a wee bit of maturity at times

We can all forget how young these boys are and that they often read the online criticism.

Its fine to point out flaws in their game but not the abuse as it has a negative effect.

Always generally found our fans far more forgiving if anything of academy graduates when they come into the team.

The exception to that rule was Marc McAusland who took up a Kibble-esque role in the team. He got the blame for absolutely everything that ever went wrong, it was quite incredible how much abuse he got.

I think most of it was down to the perception that he was there because of his father, but actually when you strip it all back he was a very decent centre half, albeit one that never looked massively comfortable once Danny decided we were going to play like Barcelona.

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

But I’ve got confidence he’ll give the younger players like Taylor, Offord and Jamieson a chance to show they have what it takes at this level to compete.
It does take time and youngsters need to be given that time to adjust to the rigours of first team football.  

Jamieson is in the 'needs to show this season that he can cut it at this level' bracket for me. He turns 22 during the coming season and only signed a one year extension so you'd imagine it's pretty much make or break whether he makes it with us or drops a couple of levels (where he's already proven that he's a very capable striker). 

Offord has a full two years on Jamieson so my gut is that there's a lot more room there for rapid improvement from Kieran. Taylor as well shocks me in that he's 20. I had him in my head as 17/18 for some reason. I guess in years gone by we've had to play guys like McGinn, McLean, Morgan, Erhahon etc at an age probably before they are ready due to necessity and we're not really at that stage now. 

6 minutes ago, Div said:

Always generally found our fans far more forgiving if anything of academy graduates when they come into the team.

The exception to that rule was Marc McAusland who took up a Kibble-esque role in the team. He got the blame for absolutely everything that ever went wrong, it was quite incredible how much abuse he got.

I think most of it was down to the perception that he was there because of his father, but actually when you strip it all back he was a very decent centre half, albeit one that never looked massively comfortable once Danny decided we were going to play like Barcelona.

I think the fact that MacPherson moved him on, then he was brought back when MacPherson left played into that perception.

I always thought he was a decent enough defender. Not many folk that have won a major cup with us, so he deserves some credit.

5 minutes ago, Div said:

McAusland was more than capable in the upper Championship/Lower Premiership level.

I'd have put him ahead of some of our other, more tenured centre halves of the time.

We should remember that a lot of youngsters from the recent past were playing when we were in the Championship. It's easier to get picked and look half decent against Arbroath than it is against Aberdeen. It is a big step up to play as a youngster in the Premiership. Reid will be an excellent player in the future but he wasn't going to get picked ahead of Baccus, O'Hara and Gogic two of whom are full internationalists.

35 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

former Saint and Scotland player Gordon McQueen has passed. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63664992

Dreadful that someone of 70 should die from dementia related illness; brought home not least by the fact that he's only three years older than me.

Remember seeing him in playing for the Man United side that included Gary Bailey, Jimmy Nicholl, Stewart Houston, Martin Buchan, Sammy McIlroy, Steve Coppell, Ray Wilkins, Joe Jordan, Lou Macari, Mickey Thomas. and Andy Ritchie.

A true legend of the Scottish game. They don’t make centre halfs like him any more. True gent off the pitch too, so particularly sad that he had poor health in his latter years. Here’s hoping that the football associations learn some lessons as we have lost too many good guys too soon. RIP big Gord