The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Article linking us with interest in Conor McMenamin.

Don't know much about him, but he's 27 and according to Soccerbase has an absolutely outrageous goalscoring record. Assuming that's true, of course.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/sport/glentorans-conor-mcmenamin-relishing-role-with-northern-ireland-and-reiterates-call-for-move/a668377629.html

Screenshot_20230618-085317.png

14 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Don't know much about him, but he's 27 and according to Soccerbase has an absolutely outrageous goalscoring record. Assuming that's true, of course.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/sport/glentorans-conor-mcmenamin-relishing-role-with-northern-ireland-and-reiterates-call-for-move/a668377629.html

Soccerbase is usually a wee bit patchy.

His overall record from the wing for Glentoran over last two seasons is still really good.

Screenshot_20230618-090926_Chrome.thumb.jpg.57e4e9ec4c4d79bc0d703c569949e737.jpg

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I wonder if this is an indication we'll be changing formation next season given he's a winger.

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Ok, that makes more sense 😂

Soccerbase is good for the big 5.

Transfermarkt is more the go to for more obscure leagues for me.

But on paper and reading opinions of him, he looks like he'd be good. Pretty much universally accepted on social media that him and Sule are the two best footballers playing in the Irish Premiership currently (last season) so would be quite interesting if we landed both of them. Though we'd have to pay for McMenamin as he's still under contract.

On 17/06/2023 at 07:47, RandomGuy. said:

Screenshot_20230617_074611_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5e9f6a5847e0cb61818443d39618ea0c.jpg

Dont think you take a punt on someone with this history unless youre completely desperate. 

Not a clue why Killie are going it for this early in the window, highly doubt theres huge competition for his signature.

Are you forgetting who the manager is?

24 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I wonder if this is an indication we'll be changing formation next season given he's a winger.

If so, this makes Henderson situation more interesting, especially as on TransferMarkt this lad is listed as left sided.

• djchapsticks changed the title to The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread
15 hours ago, Munoz said:

Made in Paisley. 

da9cb056-3576-4e55-8820-f8ece5e41b3b.jpg

15 hours ago, Munoz said:

Made in Paisley. 

download (4).jpeg

15 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Made in Paisley

0_793058.jpg

Going to totally counteract my own previous point here.

I saw the old St Mirren picture last night with McLean and McGinn and thought “that’s brilliant, if I was a St Mirren fan I’d be chuffed with that” similar to how chuffed I am with everything Stevie Clarke does.

So to be honest other than me being born here there is no difference to that and the Baccus World Cup stuff.

So aye. 

McMenamin will be working with our Assistant Manager in the Northern Ireland camp just now. Came off the bench for them on Friday night. 5th cap. 

Stating the obvious here but with Main away, Brophy unreliable and Ayunga seemingly out until October, success next season may well be determined by the new striker we bring in. Not easy to come by Kevin van Veens unfortunately.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

A previous article from when he moved to Liverpool, just last season too, when he was (again) released but this time it was Southampton. That article also says he can play as a right back too.

So far the pattern seems to be he's picked up by English Premiership sides, getting no games for them, then being released. Now, to be fair, it seems he's always been signed for the B or U21 side, so not getting a first team appearance may not be as damning as it sounds - plus it's both Southampton and Liverpool, you'd expect it to be a really tough fight just to make it to the subs bench, let alone onto the pitch.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/08/09/liverpool-oludare-olufunwa-southampton/

So of all the players going and random chat about players we have been liked to it looks like this I think
Away - Links
LCB = Dunne - Bedeau 
LB/LWB = Small - Koiki / Montgomery 
RB/CB = Shaughnessy - Oludare Olufunwa
CDM/CM = Erharhon - Sule
ST = Main - Bowie / Street 
ST/LW = Watt - Conor McMenamin

Anything I've missed? 

3 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

So of all the players going and random chat about players we have been liked to it looks like this I think
Away - Links
LCB = Dunne - Bedeau 
CDM/CM = Erharhon - Sule

Anything I've missed? 

I think Murray Campbell is away

47 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

Away - Links
LCB = Dunne - Bedeau 
CDM/CM = Erharhon - Sule

Anything I've missed? 

Bowie deal is no longer a rumour. We can't get him on loan as Fulham loaning him to a Scottish club would mean he couldn't fulfill the '3 years of training in England before 21' rule that a non-English player needs to be classed as homegrown for squad registration down South. Homegrown players have a premium down there so they'd be actively devaluing him if they loaned him to Scottish side and for that reason we've no chance of him.

There was also mention of the Orlando Pirates lad Peprah a few weeks back.

Edited by djchapsticks

Buddies in talks over Nahmani

ST Mirren have opened talks on a move for Israel under-21 striker Stav Nahmani.

The Buddies are interested in the Maccabi Haifa striker and are in discussions over a possible deal.

The 20-year-old has made a number of appearances for Maccabi but has also had loan spells at Hapoel Not HaGalil, Beitar Jerusalem and Hapoel Hadera.

Nahmani is set to go out of contract at the end of the month although Maccabi would still be entitled to compensation.

St Mirren are looking to see if a deal can be done although they face stiff competition for Nahmani’s signature.

Stephen Robinson is keen to add to his frontline after losing Curtis Main on freedom of contract.

He was keen on a move for Fulham’s Kieron Bowie but that was scuppered by red tape.

Former Crystal Palace striker Rob Street is also a target but the player is still weighing up his options.

Morecambe defender Jacob Bedau is also a target but Buddies have still to agree a transfer fee.

The ambitious Buddies board have rewarded Robinson with a new contract and are doing all they can to strengthen his squad as they look to build on last season’s impressive top six finish.

Don't care if this comes off or not, I've been desperate for silly season to start and now it's finally here I'm so happy 😁

Edited by Coventry Saint