The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

56 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Obviously I am a fan of Ross, but I think this is one over egged pudding. Reilly, sure you could have a shout there, although he was only really bad a Dunfermline, for Queens he seemed a decent player. Smith is a bit different, he was rated by quite a few but it never worked for him at Aberdeen. I'm more of the opinion the drop in the level and joining a team that plays to his strengths is the catalyst to his improvement.

Ross sounds a good man manager and it seems he is very capable of creating a team bond, so while I'm not challenging your assumption, more wishing to temper it.

And a certain Mr Ross? Another one from Falkirk, when he was a player of course.

Edit: Forgot to mention Hippolyte. I am not sure to be honest. Decent(ish) talent for this level but to me there is a slight whiff of Harkins, albeit a younger version. Someone who can do the odd bit of brilliance but it's on his terms when he wants to, not necessarily when the team needs it.

All 3 were decent for us.  Higdon could be very frustrating at times and Thomsons only issue was that he never seemed to settle anywhere.  Left us to go to Brighton because his family was homesick and then came back to saints because of another family issue. Ross was steady . I certainly wouldn't have said any of them were pish. Hippo to me is one of these players that various managers think they can sort out but no-ne ever does. Bit like Harris except nowhere near that pish.

hippo would be a good signing and I'd be sorry to see him go. if you have a large squad which you guys do, and can pick and choose what games and when you play him he'll be great. I wouldn't want to depend on playing him week in week out in a small squad as his form is inconsistent. generally within 15 minutes if a gamecstarting you'll know if he's in the mood. if he is he's a joy to watch big fast tricky with a powerful shot and goals in him that no one else could score.

downsides as mentioned are consistency attitude often injured dives a bit and not great defending and tracking back.

still gutted to lose him and that tells it all

Hippolyte is an excellent player, probably one of the best in the league on his day. I would've definitely kept him for falkirk. On the downside, he's frequently injured and can look disinterested at times and look like he doesn't give a f**k.

21 minutes ago, JimmyMirren said:

Good bit of business.

He's an excellent player, but has a tendancy to make silly decisions, diving being the big one. He's young though and hopefully Jack can get the best out of him!

Hippo's not one of those players who dives without contact, for me anyway, although he goes down very easily when the contact is there. Dunfermline fans were raging at him (including some racism) when they thought he dived against them last season only for the still shots to show that there was definite contact as their keeper tried to get to the ball. It looked like a dive at the time but when have you ever seen someone dive by doing a somersault? 

His decision making is generally poor though, often trying to beat a man (sometimes after having already beaten him 2 seconds earlier), rather than passing or hitting it to safety. He often gets frustrated if someone beats him too and is partial to a wee booking by pulling the opponent back as a result. That must have happened 5 or 6 times with us.

With the squad you have though and assuming that you're not looking to depend on him and are happy to give him a 20 minute cameo, you'll love him.