The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

48 minutes ago, Ric said:

Wait, what? I really need to re-evaluate how people see me in this forum if that's the vibes you get. I'd happily take a shit in their middle class bullshit doorway.

My pet peeve, in this context, is people using Legos, like a brand name. You can have several Lego bricks, but you can't have several Legos. I also get annoyed by people qualifying the word unique. If it's unique it doesn't need a qualifier, it shouldn't be "very unique".

With you on the unique one. In fact I wouldn’t even say “shouldn’t be”, I’d say it “can’t be”, by its very definition.

Another one for me is when commentators use the phrase “very decent” as in “that was a very decent cross”. Decent in that context has the meaning of being simply ok, so how can something be very ok. 
My final gripe is the more recent one that every pundit and his granny seems to be using of “as (insert name) alluded to earlier”. They didn’t fuckin allude to it, they clearly said it, unequivocally. Grrrrrr. 🤬

Neil Lennon has confirmed that his son Gallagher is training with St Mirren in a bid to win a contract in Paisley.

Gallagher, who has already earned a caps for Northern Ireland under-17's, is currently on the books at Partick Thistle and spent time with the first team last season.

And Lennon has claimed that he is aiming to step up a division to secure his future at a top-flight side in the future.

Speaking to Go, Lennon said: "He started training with St Mirren today, he's 17. St Mirren are going to have a good look at him over the next few weeks.

"He played for the [Northern Ireland] under-17s there in November and did really well, they bumped him up to the 19s and was supposed to play in the Euros in March. But he broke his collarbone the week before, so he missed out on that.

"He's sort of mixed his education with his football and he did well at school. But he wants to give the football a go.

Asked if running from the back of his dad's name makes a career harder, Neil said: "I don't know about that. If he's good enough, he'll come through.

"I don't think that's got anything to do with it really. I just think it's harder now, there's so much competition, scrutiny and analysis across all the academies. You have to be very exceptional to make it through now at a big club."

4 minutes ago, greenock saint said:

Neil Lennon has confirmed that his son Gallagher is training with St Mirren in a bid to win a contract in Paisley.

Gallagher, who has already earned a caps for Northern Ireland under-17's, is currently on the books at Partick Thistle and spent time with the first team last season.

And Lennon has claimed that he is aiming to step up a division to secure his future at a top-flight side in the future.

Speaking to Go, Lennon said: "He started training with St Mirren today, he's 17. St Mirren are going to have a good look at him over the next few weeks.

"He played for the [Northern Ireland] under-17s there in November and did really well, they bumped him up to the 19s and was supposed to play in the Euros in March. But he broke his collarbone the week before, so he missed out on that.

"He's sort of mixed his education with his football and he did well at school. But he wants to give the football a go.

Asked if running from the back of his dad's name makes a career harder, Neil said: "I don't know about that. If he's good enough, he'll come through.

"I don't think that's got anything to do with it really. I just think it's harder now, there's so much competition, scrutiny and analysis across all the academies. You have to be very exceptional to make it through now at a big club."

Here's a link

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/neil-lennons-son-gallagher-trains-27206041

Ok, let's do this, let's name a son (or daughter, let's open this out to all) that is better at football than their "famous" parent was.

I was going to limit it to just us, but I can't think of more than a handful of sons of famous people that have graced our pitch, very few I am aware of being a success.

Edit: I'll throw everyone a bone by offering up the current "man of the moment" .. Erling Haaland > Alfie Haaland

Edited by Ric

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Ok, let's do this, let's name a son (or daughter, let's open this out to all) that is better at football than their "famous" parent was.

I was going to limit it to just us, but I can't think of more than a handful of sons of famous people that have graced our pitch, very few I am aware of being a success.

Stevie Mallan and Jay Henderson are sons of footballers and both better than their dads.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Stevie Mallan and Jay Henderson are sons of footballers and both better than their dads.

If I ask who Jay Henderson's dad is,  are you going to say "Mr Henderson" ? ;)

I'll be honest, I didn't realise their was a familiar connection somewhere. Although this is Scotland, so you are bound to have dads who played in amateur/lower leagues while their protegee is a few leagues higher but not brilliant players themselves.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

If I ask who Jay Henderson's dad is,  are you going to say "Mr Henderson" ? ;)

I'll be honest, I didn't realise their was a familiar connection somewhere. Although this is Scotland, so you are bound to have dads who played in amateur/lower leagues while their protegee is a few leagues higher but not brilliant players themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Henderson

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

It's a pet peeve of many on this forum. Other examples are "Lidls", "Aldis", "Asdas" etc.

I'd have had you down as more of a "Waitroses" man.

Back in the day, my old da’ used to say ‘Listens’ in relation to the record shop Listen that was famously located at the bottom of Renfield St, and across from Paisley Museum. (Happening to be in the Paisley one on a St Mirren matchday is the reason I am a St Mirren fan, and a story told on the appropriate P&B thread). Anyway, I was always in them, always carrying vinyl in a Listen bag. Every time. Every single time… ‘Is that you been in that Listens again?’… Without fail. I eventually gave up correcting him. Should have got my own back by sticking a superfluous ‘s’ on every word of his memorial brick at The SMiSAS Stadiums. 😎

Edited by pozbaird

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Back in the day, my old da’ used to say ‘Listens’ in relation to the record shop Listen that was famously located at the bottom of Renfield St, and across from Paisley Abbey. (Happening to be in the Paisley one on a St Mirren matchday is the reason I am a St Mirren fan, and a story told on the appropriate P&B thread). Anyway, I was always in them, always carrying vinyl in a Listen bag. Every time. Every single time… ‘Is that you been in that Listens again?’… Without fail. I eventually gave up correcting him. Should have got my own back by sticking a superfluous ‘s’ on every word of his memorial brick at The SMiSAS Stadiums. 😎

Cheap and Nasty!

45 minutes ago, Ric said:

Zidane. His dad was good but he was excellent. 

12 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Back in the day, my old da’ used to say ‘Listens’ in relation to the record shop Listen that was famously located at the bottom of Renfield St, and across from Paisley Museum. (Happening to be in the Paisley one on a St Mirren matchday is the reason I am a St Mirren fan, and a story told on the appropriate P&B thread). Anyway, I was always in them, always carrying vinyl in a Listen bag. Every time. Every single time… ‘Is that you been in that Listens again?’… Without fail. I eventually gave up correcting him. Should have got my own back by sticking a superfluous ‘s’ on every word of his memorial brick at The SMiSAS Stadiums. 😎

Listen was for Hippies and Heavy Metal fans.

I was more of a Stereo 1 man masel 😀

22 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I always like walking along St. Jamesy's  St. on the way to the ground.

Edited by btb