The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

12 minutes ago, FTOF said:

If we sign Fletcher, then whoever plays alongside him is going to have to be brilliant at closing down opposition defenders.

Does Nahmani fit the bill in that respect or will a fit, rejuvenated Ayunga suffice? Or even Greive.

We sort of played that way when Watt was with us, as he wasn't exactly dynamic with respect to closing down players and Main did the donkey work.

If we get Fletcher on a one year deal and if he stays fit and his legs haven't gone, then given his aerial prowess and eye for goal, he'd be a welcome addition.

However, the staying fit and the him not being "done" are the major risks, on what will be a significant wage no doubt.

His significant wage should be much less of a risk with Brophy off the payroll, and the fact that it might be a one year deal. 

We will however still have the usual moans about him being finished before he’s kicked a ball for us, if he does sign.

19 minutes ago, Ric said:

Shall we all just say the obvious, w

Mulgrew is the perfect example. Ok, older, but experienced, he might be at the end of his career but he's been solid and not looked out of place, I'm sure he'll easily do another year. Then you saw the year he had, I'm not comparing Mulgrew with Fletcher, but Mulgrew's dramatic fall is testament to just how quickly things can go South when you are at that age.

Mulgrew didn't help himself by being a p***k.

I can see Robinson being shrewd with spend on wages. If Brophy was reported to be on what has been banded about, Fletcher would be on similar if not more. 

Would we sell on our highest earner to replace with another high earner? 

We have done very well so far with finding great players within our budget, with most recently Richard Taylor being a great example. 

I think If Brophy is to move this week, we possibly use his transfer fee and wage towards the boy McMennamin, if we can reach a realistic fee.

6 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

If there is another club in for one of our transfer targets then he’ll sign for the other club

We never win these sort of transfer battles 

We beat Aberdeen and Hibs to get Brophy and look where it got us...

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Mulgrew didn't help himself by being a p***k.

His "Was he raging" comment about Mark McGhee was certainly entertaining, but yeah, he comes across as someone who thinks they are better than they are. I mean he was a decent player in his time, not now, and I actually wonder if he'll manage a full season in the Championship. It's not a technical league, but it's at times faster paced than the Premiership and he doesn't have the legs for it.

32 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

We beat Aberdeen and Hibs to get Brophy and look where it got us...

We also beat a clutch of clubs at the time to get Dargo and that took us straight to the physio table too.

12 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

It is absolutely mental that Goodwin aplshed as much money as he did on Brophy given his goalscoring and injury record.

I still can't really get my head around it.

Yeah, a real head scratcher. I mean we can see the motivation from Goodwin's point of view, we were trying to cement our Premiership status and a solid long term contract striker would have gone a long way to help that, but the choice of Brophy to fill that requirement is odd, not least because he didn't really fit into either of the front 3 pairing that Goodwin used. Could he play striker, yes, but he's not a good as a lone striker. Could he play on the wings, yes but you are removing the key threat he has, goals.

Just now, Div said:

We also beat a clutch of clubs at the time to get Dargo and that took us straight to the physio table too.

The main difference being Dargo had been banging them in right, left and centre. If we are comparing transfer gambles, I have a lot more sympathy for Gus than I do Goodwin (in the case of Brophy/Dargo, at least)

41 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

It is absolutely mental that Goodwin splashed as much money as he did on Brophy given his goalscoring and injury record.

I still can't really get my head around it.

I don't think much of you were complaining at the time, though?

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

It certainly is.

Realistic chance its £150k+, unless you lot are just writing off Brophy. 

About a month ago Roy MacGregor was mewling to the papers about how other bottom six clubs should be cutting back their spending as its unsustainable 😂

3 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I don't think much of you were complaining at the time, though?

No need for revisionism, now.. ;) ..if you actually go through the quotes at the time, there were many of us who sat on the fence, well aware that he (a) injury prone, (b) didn't score many goals, and (c) would be likely on a silly wage.

Did we enjoy being billy big baws after outbidding "bigger" teams than us? Of course, that's the banter, but I very much doubt you will find a single poster who didn't have some reservation.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Realistic chance its £150k+, unless you lot are just writing off Brophy. 

About a month ago Roy MacGregor was mewling to the papers about how other bottom six clubs should be cutting back their spending as its unsustainable 😂

I swear if the words 'Undisclosed Fee' come with the Brophy announcement, I'll die laughing.

Can fully understand Henderson wanting to leave for more regular football, which he wasn't going to get with the system Robinson deployed last season. It's a shame as he looked like he had plenty of potential and I'd love to have kept him.

Be interesting to see if we're getting the full compensation or have cut a deal that includes a sell on. 

Just now, Stu said:

Can fully understand Henderson wanting to leave for more regular football, which he wasn't going to get with the system Robinson deployed last season. It's a shame as he looked like he had plenty of potential and I'd love to have kept him.

Be interesting to see if we're getting the full compensation or have cut a deal that includes a sell on. 

I don’t think he’ll get the regular game time he’s after up at County either but time will tell.