The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Are you saying McMenamin is a Henderson replacement?

McMenamin will be used up front if youre playing the 3-5-2 again. Mandron is a different type of forward to Main, im sure, despite his size. Id worry Robinson has just spotted a big striker and assumed, as hes been bad for doing at every club it seems like.

McMenamin can play on the right or on the left either as a winger or a wingback as well as through the middle as a  striker.  Whilst I think  we would prefer to see him at the top end of the pitch , I think he's versatility will be hugely beneficial. 

I can see Mandron and McMenamin being the first picks with Nahmani being an impact sub or another option. Grieve will be back up. Still dont know what the plan is for Olusanya, I thought Jamieson would of got a start over him in the friendlies

Await the GIRFUY moment when Mandron rattles one in against us. But if Robinson has brought him in as a target man, a) he can't header the ball and b) can't control and hold the ball up. So good luck with that Robbo. Meant to be a lovely bloke though, so that's nice.

38 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

McMenamin can play on the right or on the left either as a winger or a wingback as well as through the middle as a  striker.  Whilst I think  we would prefer to see him at the top end of the pitch , I think he's versatility will be hugely beneficial. 

Only an absolute fucking moron would spend 6 figures of a player whos main strength is scoring from the wing/up front, and then wedge them in as a wing back.

If he plays any games as a wing back, or full back, barring a major injury crisis, then something has gone very wrong.

7 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Await the GIRFUY moment when Mandron rattles one in against us. But if Robinson has brought him in as a target man, a) he can't header the ball and b) can't control and hold the ball up. So good luck with that Robbo. Meant to be a lovely bloke though, so that's nice.

Absolutely no question we're all filing this one under 'benefit of the doubt' for now. Interesting that Robbo specifically mentioned having seen him play south of the border, as if to anticipate those who'll point out he was mediocre for Motherwell.

We'll just have to see if he's an Ayunga or an Olusanya.

Is there fcuk all of interest happening at McDiarmid Park this week or something? An unhealthy interest in scattergun posting the superior Saints section of the forum. There must be something Randomguy could find to talk about. A couple of purveys being held in the hospitality suite there this weekend. Anything. Please God make it so.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Is there fcuk all of interest happening at McDiarmid Park this week or something? 

You're joking but theres genuinely not.

We've made no signings, aren't selling anyone, strips haven't been revealed, and have only played one friendly.

I'm sure we are all looking forward to the season l things are looking good dare I say exciting. I'm doing a wedding tomorrow so appreciate wee up dates on the game. Especially as the best man is a die hard Morton fan he is a top man but a wee wind up is always good for a laugh. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're joking but theres genuinely not.

We've made no signings, aren't selling anyone, strips haven't been revealed, and have only played one friendly.

Welcome to our thread then. Knock yourself out. 😀

15 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

He was just a battering ram for Kev which to be fair he done well most of the time.
Dunno how Robinson will use him with the buddies but i’ll still stick a fiver on him 1st goalscorer against us next time we play. 
Might stick another fiver on Obika for the last goal.

Well v Paisley could be interesting at times 🤔

I've just realised that we really should have appointed Random Guy as our manager instead of Robinson.

His knowledge of football far surpasses that of Robinson, O'Carroll and Foyle.

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I've just realised that we really should have appointed Random Guy as our manager instead of Robinson.

His knowledge of football far surpasses that of Robinson, O'Carroll and Foyle.

They'll likely forget more than I'll ever know, but that doesn't make them flawless.

The worst thing you can do is assume everything is fine, as thats when complacency hits and shit goes wrong for clubs like us.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Only an absolute fucking moron would spend 6 figures of a player whos main strength is scoring from the wing/up front, and then wedge them in as a wing back.

If he plays any games as a wing back, or full back, barring a major injury crisis, then something has gone very wrong.

For me it's horses for courses , can see him playing  mainly as an attacker but  much depends on how our other strikers do , as him on the left and Strain on the right might work too is we,re chasing a game . Different set ups are required for Different games and a players versatility allows for significant changes to formation  mid game. 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Absolutely no question we're all filing this one under 'benefit of the doubt' for now. Interesting that Robbo specifically mentioned having seen him play south of the border, as if to anticipate those who'll point out he was mediocre for Motherwell.

We'll just have to see if he's an Ayunga or an Olusanya.

In my humble opinion I think most Well fans are being overly harsh on Mandron. Definitely a footballer there. As usual if you are not rapid that seems to count against you. Well we have Conor Shields that can move but that is about all he can do. 

Mandron is slow but he is decent at holding the ball up and finding a pass. He also has scored a few goals. Out of the two I was glad we opted for Obika but in all honesty there is probably not a lot in it. 

I thought Fletcher would end up at one of our clubs. Apparently not going to be the case now….

57 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Welcome to our thread then. Knock yourself out. 😀

Off topic, but that has reminded me that back in the day when I used to use Twitter I was banned for 12 hours for using that term.  

I appealed the decision and they threw it out, stating that my post was inciting self-harm....

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They'll likely forget more than I'll ever know, but that doesn't make them flawless.

The worst thing you can do is assume everything is fine, as thats when complacency hits and shit goes wrong for clubs like us.

Where did I say that?

I've just stated that I trust an experienced management team over your judgement.

You've also made statements which contradict direct quotes from our manager and then implied that our manager doesn't know what type of player he's signed, despite evidence to the contrary. 

Mandron is far from guaranteed to be a success. However if he batters opposition defenders and chips in with a few goals, then I'll be happy.

18 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

What was the name of the guy who turned down new terms at Motherwell last summer to come to us?

His game went to the next level, player of the year and became captain of the football club.... Mark something was it?

Let's hope for similar.

Aye but he was injury prone and was easily replaceable.:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Our strategy is culling the wage bill, and age of the squad, after our previous manager saddled us with a huge expensive, below average, squad on multi-year deals.

Im comfortable with that even if it leads to relegation tbh.

Congratulations on finally making a post we can all agree with.