The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 hours ago, AW saint said:

Hope we are not underwhelmed when we finally find out who the mystery player is. 

If there's any truth in the name that I heard yesterday, then the player is more than useful at our level.

Edited to add - I see someone on B&W Army has had the same info.

Sam Cosgrove. 

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

If there's any truth in the name that I heard yesterday, then the player is more than useful at our level.

Edited to add - I see someone on B&W Army has had the same info.

Sam Cosgrove. 

Cosgrove on his way to Rugby Park. 

6 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

This is the most brilliant St Mirren side for thirty decades

We’re all going to enjoy this. 😉

Oh right, I forgot you were 350 years old. Aye, those were the days right enough. 

2 minutes ago, AW saint said:

The elbow on Olusanya. What are folks thoughts on it. I was thinking a certain red card and would have been if VAR had been used.

Thought the referee and his assistants  were abysmal yesterday. 

Some incredible decisions.

6 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

As part of the official signing process I want to see a film  clip of wooden crate being delivered , with a big question mark on the front and the crate being smashed open for the mystery striker to step out dressed in a Saints strip and walk up to a desk with Robbo and Lasley sitting on it to put pen to paper . Not made my mind up on what music I would have for the clip .

The Who - Who Are You.

Carole King - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow.

Ian Dury & The Blockheads - What a Waste.

The Beatles - Get Back.

John Denver - Leaving on a Jet Plane.

A few people have said I've been overly negative about this season, and to an extent I have been, but with (some) justifiable reason.

However I am not going to run down a 4-0 victory, even if it was to Arbroath (and I mean no disservice towards them). I didn't fancy that line up but I'm pleased to see Mandron get a goal, like all single digit strikers (and I think that's the level we'll expect from him) confidence is a big thing, you only need to look at Obika.

I'd also be interested to know if we've ever had a player who has come on, for a debut, into a competitive game and scored a brace of goals? I'm sure we've had players do similar in pre-season friendlies, and we've seen players come in and score a goal in their debut, but two of them? From the subs bench? In a competitive game? There will be someone but I can't think of one at the mo.

Not seen the goals yet, I'm sure they will pop up on Twitter or YT at some point.

I still think we are light, though. We need cover for either WB or FB, dependent on how Robinson will set us up this season, as Strain is bound to attract interest and there is a continual fitness worry about Tanser. That said, if he switches to something like a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2, with both wingbacks pushing high, then the cover could come from the midfield. It's risky and a departure from the tightly congested and well ordered counter attacking we did last season. I'm also not changing my mind on Hemming as #1, but I guess it's looking less and less likely we bring in someone else unless it's for cover.

In summary? The win was good, but it was the least we should have expected. Positive about the Israeli lad and always nice to get a win on the board, but we need to make sure we don't think that's the group done and dusted and we'll just kick on from here. We lost to Montrose because we were shit, we can be shit again, no guarantees.

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

A few people have said I've been overly negative about this season, and to an extent I have been, but with (some) justifiable reason.

However I am not going to run down a 4-0 victory, even if it was to Arbroath (and I mean no disservice towards them). I didn't fancy that line up but I'm pleased to see Mandron get a goal, like all single digit strikers (and I think that's the level we'll expect from him) confidence is a big thing, you only need to look at Obika.

I'd also be interested to know if we've ever had a player who has come on, for a debut, into a competitive game and scored a brace of goals? I'm sure we've had players do similar in pre-season friendlies, and we've seen players come in and score a goal in their debut, but two of them? From the subs bench? In a competitive game? There will be someone but I can't think of one at the mo.

Not seen the goals yet, I'm sure they will pop up on Twitter or YT at some point.

I still think we are light, though. We need cover for either WB or FB, dependent on how Robinson will set us up this season, as Strain is bound to attract interest and there is a continual fitness worry about Tanser. That said, if he switches to something like a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2, with both wingbacks pushing high, then the cover could come from the midfield. It's risky and a departure from the tightly congested and well ordered counter attacking we did last season. I'm also not changing my mind on Hemming as #1, but I guess it's looking less and less likely we bring in someone else unless it's for cover.

In summary? The win was good, but it was the least we should have expected. Positive about the Israeli lad and always nice to get a win on the board, but we need to make sure we don't think that's the group done and dusted and we'll just kick on from here. We lost to Montrose because we were shit, we can be shit again, no guarantees.

You forgot to mention- Zach Hemming had a decent game. Didn't have much to do, but did it very well.

23 minutes ago, Munoz said:

You forgot to mention- Zach Hemming had a decent game. Didn't have much to do, but did it very well.

I didn't forget to mention it, I just didn't mention it for the reason you posted. I'm not going to praise anyone for doing just the bare minimum.

Watching the last two goals again is very pleasing as Stav times his runs to perfection and shows real composure in both finishes.

Having pace is one thing but being able to stay onside and then to remain calm when 1 on 1 with a goalkeeper is a major piece of skill.

Not getting carried away as it was a lower league team who didn’t defend very well all afternoon but it’s still really encouraging especially considering he’s nowhere close to being fully match fit.

3 minutes ago, Div said:

Watching the last two goals again is very pleasing as Stav times his runs to perfection and shows real composure in both finishes.

Having pace is one thing but being able to stay onside and then to remain calm when 1 on 1 with a goalkeeper is a major piece of skill.

Not getting carried away as it was a lower league team who didn’t defend very well all afternoon but it’s still really encouraging especially considering he’s nowhere close to being fully match fit.

I can't find the highlights online. I don't suppose you have a link to them you could share, please?

Stav showed what we have missed since possibly Lewis Morgan - a forward who is calm and composed. We had lots of one-on-ones with a keeper last season and panic generally overtook the striker. O'Hara and Kiltie were quite composed when chances came but forwards tended to overrun or hit and hope. Let's hope Stav keeps it up and teaches the many other forwards we have acquired how to calm down when a chance arises.

Good, professional performance from the lads yesterday. Hard to find fault, especially when we lost this game 1-0 last season. Watching the goals back is a reminder of how important Strain is at the moment. Be good if Tanser, or his replacement, could provide similar on the left, especially as Conor is supposed to play on the right wing. The game at Cowdenbeath was a struggle last season and they appear to be much better now. Another good performance should set us up for a shootout with Forfar in front of a packed SMISA next Saturday. 👍