The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

As above, considering we were 30 seconds away from going out the competition, to have a home draw in the last 16 against a non-OF side is very pleasing.

You also have two of Livingston, Ayr Utd, Ross County and Airdrie in the Quarter Finals and that draw is not seeded so all to play for IF we can get past the Steelmen.

1 hour ago, Div said:

Certainly expect Baccus to go since the market knows we'll be happy to take whatever fee Bolton had agreed for him.

Strain is a tough one. He will be absolutely impossible to replace.

I'd really hope we play hardball for him. Pointless letting him go for the sort of money we reportedly accepted for Baccus.

On the other hand he can go for nothing next Summer and so the board will have a difficult call to make if or more likely when a bid does come in.

I can see a championship  team putting in an offer for both players . 

1 minute ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I can see a championship  team putting in an offer for both players . 

Need to be a very good offer for Strain for us to accept. We don’t need to sell either.

Just now, McG said:

Need to be a very good offer for Strain for us to accept. We don’t need to sell either.

with only a year left on his contract it could be a decent boost to the finances. I wonder if he will consider signing another deal with us or is his agent telling him to run down his contract and he can get a better deal elsewhere

21 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

19th is when I'm off to Lochcarron praying our tie is on TV. I would think it's the Celtic tie as it would bring in the most revenue for viaplay I would think and they are in need of cash. 

No chance our game will be televised, Viaplay will pick the b(h)igots as usual.

I'm hoping this is the week that Carson goes. Absolutely mental situation that the guy trains with us through week, is part of squad photos etc and then when it comes to matchday squad, nowhere to be found.

He's now a non-contributing drain on our resources. The club need to be realistic in what they are willing to let him leave for as a pay off would cost us silly money.

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm hoping this is the week that Carson goes. Absolutely mental situation that the guy trains with us through week, is part of squad photos etc and then when it comes to matchday squad, nowhere to be found.

He's now a non-contributing drain on our resources. The club need to be realistic in what they are willing to let him leave for as a pay off would cost us silly money.

He's not good enough/maybe too old for a big club too swoop in for him as first choice, the realistic options within Scotland where he could have left on like-for-like terms seem to have gone so chances are we'll have to sweeten a deal close to the end of the transfer window.

19 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We should let him leave for nothing. There isn’t going to be many clubs wanting to pay a fee for a 35 year old keeper who will be one of our best paid players and will therefore command a relatively big wage at his next club too. 
The worst case - but not unlikely - scenario  is the status quo endures. Carson continues to earn big money without featuring at all. 

53 minutes ago, McG said:

Personally I would keep them both with a view of either cashing in in January or making them a good offer to try and keep them encouraged by the fact that we,ll have had a good solid start to our league campaign. 

Genuinely believe that as the window nears it's close, Carson's value will increase. Not necessarily financially, but a dependable keeper that keeps fairly fit, even if they've fallen out of favour with their current team, has to seem a pretty decent option for any manager scrambling for numbers.

I would like to see the club bring in the Union and our lawyers to explore our employment law options.

If he is refusing to train, play or carry out any normal duties as part of his employment then it is grounds for termination.

Edited by Torfason

5 hours ago, medals said:

Think it'll still be tougher than 2022 though. Some teams look like they've made good signings.  The Fakes, Livi and perhaps Motherwell and Hearts all currently looking less strong in my humble opinion although there is time to sort that.

I think we look a fair bit stronger actually. We've sorted the defence out and are going back to being more physical. Just depends on how players settle and if Devlin stays fit to be fair. Stephen Kelly in particular looks set for a stand out season