The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

11 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

For as much as I don't want to go through it again - I actually enjoyed the Oran Kearney season. 

The euphoria of staying up is hard to top. I reckon it's because you get put through the ringer, so many defeats to endure, folk writing you off and feeling the world is against you. Then a right big 'get it up you' to everyone when you survive.

Jack Ross's first season is one of the most enjoyable I remember. And the 3-2 win at Fir Park in 2007 is one of my all time favourite games.

8 hours ago, madmitch said:

That decision was one of the worst ever. It was impossible to tell from where he was positioned if it had crossed the line.  There was literally a sea of bodies blocking his view.  Dundee game, everybody can clearly see the ball has crossed the line. Even with VAR no goal. Sometimes  you can't make it up 

And one of those bodies was late career Kris feckin Boyd.

If I say that there were some great times under Ross, McPherson, Hendrie and more, then add, but nothing, absolutely nothing, comes close to the whole bubble created around the team and the town itself by the 1977 era Fergie’s Furies team… I’ll be due a six month forum ban. Extended to a year if I actually mention going round the town with a loud hailer, the Clydebank Christmas Day game, the Dundee United Adidas Sambas on ice game, the title winning game at Dens, the buzz, the crowds, even the away defeat at Motherwell in front of two hundred thousand St Mirren fans.

Maybe a two year ban. 😃

11 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

We'll never see another transfer window like that again. Ferdinand, Hladky, Muzek, Popescu, Dreyer, Nazon to name but a few. 

I don't know how all those guys from across Europe were identified. Am I right in saying that Gus was involved? Did he do the scouting work before the window opened?

Seem to remember Vaclav had basically just been a sub goalie in the Czech league for years and years. Diamond unearthed.

We had some scouting platform partnership around that time, which opened up many possibilities for identifying players off the radar. Whether it was cost cutting or not, we found some bloody good gems.

The dire state of the squad at start of 19/19 should be remembered 

Our best player, Lewis Morgan, was away. Top scorer Reilly also away, Cammy Smith clearly not good enough for that level. That’s the entire forward line.

In defence, Steliis, Liam Smith and Harry Davis away, Eckersley and Mackenzie injured, Samson left after window ended. That’s the entire defence away with just Jack Baird left.

In midfield, Magennis injured and McShane also clearly not good enough for that level.

A whole rebuild was required

Unfortunately, Stubbs rebuilt by signing a load of shite

He did inherit Ross Stewart, who Jack Ross didn’t give much game time too, played him in a game he scored then gave him away! 

8 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

We had some scouting platform partnership around that time, which opened up many possibilities for identifying players off the radar. Whether it was cost cutting or not, we found some bloody good gems.

Pretty sure Stubbs scrapped it as soon as he came in too. 🤦‍♂️

Saturday was my first game of the season and probably last until St Johnstone at the end of October for various reasons. Typical it comes at a time we're doing well - funny how free my weekends were during the eras of shite like Coughlin, Craig and Stubbs.

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

That confident smug expression on Robbie Neilson's coupon when the decider went to a penalty shoot-out .........

Gloriously GIRFUY Neilson just a few minutes later.

😂

Our job apparently not big enough for him, where is he now……:lol:

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

If I say that there were some great times under Ross, McPherson, Hendrie and more, then add, but nothing, absolutely nothing, comes close to the whole bubble created around the team and the town itself by the 1977 era Fergie’s Furies team… I’ll be due a six month forum ban. Extended to a year if I actually mention going round the town with a loud hailer, the Clydebank Christmas Day game, the Dundee United Adidas Sambas on ice game, the title winning game at Dens, the buzz, the crowds, even the away defeat at Motherwell in front of two hundred thousand St Mirren fans.

Maybe a two year ban. 😃

Was there for much of 76/77 which was definitely an era changer but altho it was only a blip 99/00 when "The Bubble Didnae Burst" was my favourite promotion.

• An XXL strike force in Basher & Yards
  • Numerous late winners 
  • Red cards in abundance - 12 in 36 games for the teams facing us.
  • Sitting next to Junior's girlfriend against Morton on the Ne'erday game - she was a wid, wid, wid!
  • 8-0 against  Clydebank at Love St. and then a 0-0 draw at Cappielow a fortnight later playing in Morton strips IIRC (wasn't actually there) - who else but St. Mirren?
  • 5 wins in April
  • Turning up late and getting let into the new stand against Falkirk before it officially opened. Paul McKnight
  • Pitch invasion at Ayr (one of those last minute winners). Paul McKnight
  • Paul McKnight :wub: whatever happened to him?
  • The 3-0 title clinching game against Raith with Paul Fenwick getting mucho abuse despite only being on the bench.
  • Not even caring when I heard the result from Inverness on the final day!
Edited by btb

12 hours ago, Buddie Holly said:

i still do not know if ball crossed line v dundee or not

The camara from the main stand northside showed the ball crossed the line . It was shown on Sportscene Sat & Sun 4 different pundits everyone of them said the ball crossed the line. If you have not seen it, it can be found on the iPlayer. 

I’m finding it funny to see none of our Greenock trolls all over this thread of late, Purple monkey dishwanker and some other trolling fuckwit whose user name escapes me. 
Just goes to prove that pre season kickabouts are good preparation for the real thing.:thumsup2