The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

9 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Dear, oh dear.  What a knobbish way to start a reply. Grow up. 

Well, you described my initial reply as 'nonsense'.  Aside from being factually inaccurate, that wasn't very nice now, was it?

16 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Think that trivialises a wee bit the work thats going in to try and secure a younger, sustained fanbase for the club in the community to be honest.

I'd actually say most of the increased fanbase will be U16s and/or people new to the area so 25% increase certainly won't equate to a 25% gate increase. At least not yet.

The focus on youth though, is more long term thinking than targetting people who'll show up as we're winning a few games. 

I agree that there has been a massive focus on enticing younger fans along to matches. I think Keith Lasley has take a huge amount of credit for that.

However, based on purely where I sit, there are a lot of unfamiliar faces filling the seats around me this season. I can only assume that's down to the upturn in results/style of football on show.

I would love the increase to be sustainable. But if we lose SR and make aother Stubbs-esque apppointment, will that additional 25% hang about? Hard to see that being the case IMO.

The size of stadium is perfect for us as it is at the moment.

I genuinely thought the chat on here about stadium reconstruction was more along the lines of just chat on a forum about what could be done, what we personally might like to see done, and how filling in corners helps a ‘boxy’ stadium feel more enclosed and more ‘stadium like’. I honestly didn’t think anyone was of the opinion that something should, or needs, to be done. Maybe I picked up the vibe of the discussion wrong,

I don’t think anything needs done, but if we’re just talking what could be done, then I could sum up my view in two words - Mini Tynecastle.

On the stadium, I love it as it is. It has improved so much over the last few years.

One thing I would like to see is something at the end of each stand , perhaps an image - maybe some Paisley pattern or something that represents the town/team.

AFCB - Official Club Website

1 hour ago, Kempes said:

Great result for Ethan’s Lincoln lads last night. A victory away to Sheffield United and in the next round they have WHU at home. Exciting times for the young man and great to see his talent being realised

He's brilliant, no surprise to see him doing well down there. He was captain for Lincoln last night and has been turning a lot of heads down there, can see him getting a big move soon, hopefully we've got a decent sell on!

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

On the stadium, I love it as it is. It has improved so much over the last few years.

One thing I would like to see is something at the end of each stand , perhaps an image - maybe some Paisley pattern or something that represents the town/team.

AFCB - Official Club Website

There either is or was something in the south stand, see below. The pic is a couple of years old and I can’t remember if it is still there but I do agree this type of thing improves the stadium IMG_3214.png.99fa6a331ee51b13fe597751853d1dfe.png

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Nope.

Would be a good signing for Aberdeen and a decent move for Baccus who will get European football. They need players so if they are able to pay what we want and we get a decent sell on I think it's not the worst thing that could happen.

10 minutes ago, GAD said:

Would be a good signing for Aberdeen and a decent move for Baccus who will get European football. They need players so if they are able to pay what we want and we get a decent sell on I think it's not the worst thing that could happen.

At this point though with <48hrs for a replacement, what is a decent fee?

I'd really prefer Baccus to stay.

That said, with O'Hara, CBM, Kiltie, Gogic and Flynn, it wouldn't be the big loss that O'Hara or Strain would be IMO.

If the Aberdeen offer is decent, I wouldn't be overly bothered if we accepted it.

With all that in mind - f**k ABERDEEN WE SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER BE SELLING PLAYERS TO RIVALS ETC ETC ETC.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

1 minute ago, Kempes said:

The Dons think that Miovski is worth more than £4m, and raked in a fortune on several mediocre players, so it will be interesting to see what their ceiling is for Baccus. 

Aberdeen made a fortune of selling players like McKenna, Ferguson etc that are far better than Baccus.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

At this point though with <48hrs for a replacement, what is a decent fee?

For a team in the same league maybe £3-400k. I think Baccus is a good player, but he's a fairly common player, a decent box to box engine, reasonable in possession and works hard but he doesn't score lots of goals, or make a lot of assists. He looks good when you watch him play but I'm sure @RandomGuy. "ran the numbers" recently and stats wise he's nothing spectacular. I think we wouldn't lose much with Gogic and O'Hara as the 2 midfielders instead, in my opinion anyway.

Still, the 48 hours for a replacement bit is an issue.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

For a team in the same league maybe £3-400k. I think Baccus is a good player, but he's a fairly common player, a decent box to box engine, reasonable in possession and works hard but he doesn't score lots of goals, or make a lot of assists. He looks good when you watch him play but I'm sure @RandomGuy. "ran the numbers" recently and stats wise he's nothing spectacular. I think we wouldn't lose much with Gogic and O'Hara as the 2 midfielders instead, in my opinion anyway.

I’ve said before I don’t think that Baccus has any outstanding trait that would make teams want to pay big money for him - he’s a great box to box midfielder in our system and hopefully we’d be able to replace him like for like.

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

That's the type of player we are missing though. We've got Clarkson to do all the creating etc. Just need somebody that can put themselves about a bit. We haven't replaced Ramadani and I personally think Baccus is an upgrade on Ramadani. I think we'll have to go to around the £500k-£600k mark though to get him.

Just now, DunbartonshireRed said:

That's the type of player we are missing though. We've got Clarkson to do all the creating etc. Just need somebody that can put themselves about a bit. We haven't replaced Ramadani and I personally think Baccus is an upgrade on Ramadani. I think we'll have to go to around the £500k-£600k mark though to get him.

If we get £500k for Baccus that'd be some piece of business.

FWIW I think he'd do a job for Aberdeen. From what we saw at the weekend, he'd walk in to the centre of that midfield.

Very hard to say what players are really worth. A bit like houses, it’s down to what someone is willing to pay. Everton fielded a young striker last night that they signed for £12m - £13m. He made Mandron look like Ibrahimovic…