The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

59 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

So... Better or worse than Yoann Arquin?

What a question :osama:

Arquin had more to his all-round game. Hiwula is more one-dimensional. Arquin is moody but if motivated can be a match-winner. Hiwula is a confidence player.

48 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

What a question :osama:

Arquin had more to his all-round game. Hiwula is more one-dimensional. Arquin is moody but if motivated can be a match-winner. Hiwula is a confidence player.

Worst game of Top Trumps ever?

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

😂

Much as I don’t disagree with you that Gowser likely wouldn’t have played for Scotland while at St Mirren - had he stayed longer at Celtic he would have been probably guaranteed a Scotland cap. 

Bags of skill but lacked professionalism to progress. Shame really when you see how his teammates McGinn and McLean both received international recognition (after they left of course).

We have seen a succession of great players in the past play for St Mirren and it was only when they left that they were capped by Scotland. 

McGarvey - the ink wasn’t even dry and he made his debut against Maradona in ‘79 at Hampden after just signing for Liverpool. 

Steve Clarke, Frank McAvennie, Ian Ferguson - all played in Europe against some great opponents but no Scotland recognition until after they left. 

It surprises me to think how Iain Munro managed to gain 7 caps while at St Mirren along with Billy Thomson. 

Beggars belief how McDougall and Stark were never capped.

Peter Weir was also a strange one where 4 of his 6 caps came while at St Mirren but became an integral part of Aberdeen but only capped twice.

I'd say there were several worse midfielders capped for Scotland than Paul McGowan.

If he had any professionalism, he'd have kicked on after leaving us and found his way up a level but unfortunately the fact he is an utter wahoo of a boy meant he was severely damaged goods that even we couldn't hang onto anymore and took a sidestep at best meaning that he saw what should've been the prime years of his career out as an integral part of a yoyo team.

2 hours ago, medals said:

I'm not sure if Top Trump's ever sank to that level though.

I don't know about that.

The cars version I had in the late 70's had the Austin Allegro and the Austin Maxi. 

image.png.eafdd4099c955eb6f08cd239a6956416.png

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd say there were several worse midfielders capped for Scotland than Paul McGowan.

If he had any professionalism, he'd have kicked on after leaving us and found his way up a level but unfortunately the fact he is an utter wahoo of a boy meant he was severely damaged goods that even we couldn't hang onto anymore and took a sidestep at best meaning that he saw what should've been the prime years of his career out as an integral part of a yoyo team.

I’m guessing that either (being in Jersey before the wonder of IPTV) I just didn’t see enough of the guy, or I’m letting my general dislike for him (even when at Saints) cloud my judgement of him, but I always thought he was no better than decent. 

I suspect it was the latter, because I always just saw him as a wee nyaff and never took to him at all.

That said, he’s a cup winning legend and I can’t take that away from him. 

30 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Wonder if we will see anyone else in before saturday?

I'd like to think if it's any of the trialists, a decision will be made before Saturday if they are good enough. If there are alternative targets, they may run right up to window end to see who possibly is still to go out.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Wonder if we will see anyone else in before saturday?

Without being disparaging, it's not a bad thing that we have lower league opposition on Saturday. We can afford to hold off until later in the window to bring in the right people.

4 hours ago, FTOF said:

I don't know about that.

The cars version I had in the late 70's had the Austin Allegro and the Austin Maxi. 

image.png.eafdd4099c955eb6f08cd239a6956416.png

You know that was what I was thinking - almost exactly (a few hours after I posted it.)

Allegro and Marina but you had the Maxi.

Loads of really poor cars then though and even the best back then are poor by today's standards.

Edited by medals

15 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Ian Black was capped for Scotland a year before McGowan absolutely dominated the League Cup Final against Hearts. Regardless of the tint of your specs, McGowan was an infinitely better player.

However, for balance, Scotland actually had a somewhat impressive centre midfield by the time Strachan took over from Levein, including Darren Fletcher, James Morrison, James McArthur, Scott Brown and Charlie Adam (yes he was rank for Scotland) – all of who were playing at a decent level. He could have been the token spare man on more than one occasion but was always going to be unlikely, with Strachan always more comfortable calling players up from England.

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Without being disparaging, it's not a bad thing that we have lower league opposition on Saturday. We can afford to hold off until later in the window to bring in the right people.

How long have you been a St Mirren fan?

I'm old enough to remember us losing 2-0 at home to Dumbarton in the Cup when we were third in the league.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Rumours he might be going to Dundee.

Saw his name mentioned on the Motherwell thread too. I imagine he'll go to whoever offers him the longest contract as I can't see there being a massive difference in wages between all these clubs. Pretty sure his family still live in Renfrewshire, so that might come into consideration when he decides where to go.

59 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Saw his name mentioned on the Motherwell thread too. I imagine he'll go to whoever offers him the longest contract as I can't see there being a massive difference in wages between all these clubs. Pretty sure his family still live in Renfrewshire, so that might come into consideration when he decides where to go.

Love to see him back but I wouldn't want us to go beyond a season and a half.

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

I'm old enough to remember us losing 2-0 at home to Dumbarton in the Cup when we were third in the league.

had we beat dumbarton we would not have had that brilliant game v arsenal 

1 hour ago, btb said:

Love to see him back but I wouldn't want us to go beyond a season and a half.

He does keep himself in good shape to be fair, but I can't imagine he'll get offered much more than that anywhere.

I think the reason he went to India was because no one offered him a long enough contract here, so why not head out there for a bit of a bump in wages? It's a shame for him that it hasn't worked out.

3 hours ago, Hendo said:

Still haunted by that.

Dumbarton went up the park twice

We could have played all day and not scored 

McFarlane had a go at the players in the press about attitude and the way they approached the game.

Those were the days I really thought St Mirren had an excellent chance of winning the Scottish