The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

28 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

What I would say about Main, is that since leaving us he's played about half a dozen games. Whilst he'll no doubt be in brilliant shape, there's no guarantee he'll be up to speed for playing games in our league. 

I'd have liked to have seen him back and I'd rather he wasn't signing for a direct rival, but there's a chance that we'll see the Curtis Main from his first season with us, rather than the one we saw bullying defenders last season.

He was offered training facilities the last couple of weeks but apparently there wasn't an offer on the table.

In all honesty, a proven striker would be as nice for ourselves as any other club but I wouldn't be prioritising that area of the park with a guy who will get us about 5 or so goals rest of the season if we only have one or two more players inbound as Robinson has said is the plan.

Curtis would be an asset but would he improve the pool massively over what we have now for the money we'd lay out on him at the expense of improving other areas of the pitch? Hard to say but probably not.

I'd rather we settle on a front pairing that works and Ayunga and either Jamieson or Stav looks the strongest pairing I've seen in terms of energy and connection.

9 minutes ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

Stav Nahmani may well be the best striker at St Mirren. But how anyone can confidently say that is beyond me considering he's played next to no minutes.

He needs a run of 4 or 5 games with Jonah. There looked to be a bit of understanding there and complementing of one anothers styles in the couple of games they played together.

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He needs a run of 4 or 5 games with Jonah. There looked to be a bit of understanding there and complementing of one anothers styles in the couple of games they played together.

100%, would love to see more of him. I think our form before the break is a key element as to why he hasn't as Robinson went in search of the right formula, to the extent it was desperation every week in the hope that something clicked.

Robbo has spoken in the past about Stav being affected by the move, the adjustment to a new life, teammates and the trouble back in his homeland. 

Like others I would like to see him getting a run of games. 

Last year the manager and the club looked after Scott Tanser and his family when he went through a difficult period following a car accident. Look at the difference in his performances this season. 

In Robbo we trust. COYS

The issue with Stav at this stage is he's unlikely to have the time to do enough to justify the fee he would command to make the move permanent. Unless he comes back from Spain and starts banging in a goal every other game.

Mandron and Nahmani look to me like they’d be the best partnership, can only remember them playing together for about 20 minutes.

Not sure Ayunga makes all that great a strike partner when he’s running the ball straight into defenders or leathering the ball towards goal from an impossible angle. Too greedy IMO. 

10 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I’d love to see an improvement after the Spain break with Connor. Hopefully he can have a great second half of the season. 

I really want to see him play down the left. We have him and Kiltie constantly cutting back inside. It's predictable and easy to defend. Might be ok when Strain is playing and whipping balls in from the right, but when that's gone we look very narrow and lobsided.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I really want to see him play down the left. We have him and Kiltie constantly cutting back inside. It's predictable and easy to defend. Might be ok when Strain is playing and whipping balls in from the right, but when that's gone we look very narrow and lobsided.

It’s a strange one. When Connor and Ryan were playing together down that wing it worked really well. Just not happening for the lad right now. Perhaps a hat trick on Saturday for him will give him a boost! 
Hopefully Ryan went with the squad as part of his rehabilitation. Would love to see him sign another deal. Who knows….

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

He was offered training facilities the last couple of weeks but apparently there wasn't an offer on the table.

In all honesty, a proven striker would be as nice for ourselves as any other club but I wouldn't be prioritising that area of the park with a guy who will get us about 5 or so goals rest of the season if we only have one or two more players inbound as Robinson has said is the plan.

Curtis would be an asset but would he improve the pool massively over what we have now for the money we'd lay out on him at the expense of improving other areas of the pitch? Hard to say but probably not.

I'd rather we settle on a front pairing that works and Ayunga and either Jamieson or Stav looks the strongest pairing I've seen in terms of energy and connection.

I feel Ayunga is our best option for grabbing the goals for the remainder of the season, with others chipping in too. I genuinely don't think having Ayunga, Mandron and Main in the team would have been beneficial as I think having one option in Mandron is enough for a target man, whether you agree he is better than Main or not. It would have been a luxury we couldn't afford and better used towards another position.

Agree with you in terms of the links up front. LJ has done better than I thought he would coming into the fold.  

Edited by smellthepaw

I’ve no idea who our best striking partnership is, especially when Greive was still in the mix. I honestly don’t think Robbo’ knows either. I genuinely think that on any matchday, Robbo’ could have pulled two strikers names out of a hat, sent them out, and it would have stood as much of a chance of working as any other partnership. If the random selection wasn’t working, change it from the bench. Just my own opinion, but if I racked up at the ground and learned Robbo’ was going with Ayunga & Nahmani, or Olusanya & Greive, or Mandron & Jamieson, or any combination you care to name, I’d just think ‘fair enough, maybe it’ll work’.

Anyway, forget our strikers, it’s all about Kwon for me. Obviously here to get his Korea back on track.

Boom! Boom!

Edited by pozbaird

Much as I really appreciated Curtis time with us (love a redemption story and Main Season 2 v Main Season 1 was exactly that) I'm glad we didn't go for him.

Having said that, even although I didn't want him back at Saints, I wish he'd gone to a different league - as now I kinda want him to flop.

1 hour ago, Bobby_F said:

Much as I really appreciated Curtis time with us (love a redemption story and Main Season 2 v Main Season 1 was exactly that) I'm glad we didn't go for him.

Having said that, even although I didn't want him back at Saints, I wish he'd gone to a different league - as now I kinda want him to flop.

Yeah but you kind of expect him to flop. Which is why I was with you and not that keen on him coming back. 

Main was excellent for us last season and if Dundee can get that out of him then it's a cracking bit of business.

Robbo definitely knows how to get that level out of him, but many other managers have tried and failed.

I kinda hope Docherty fails tbh!

“Dumbarton Football Club are delighted to announce the loan signing of Gallagher Lennon from SPFL Premiership club St Mirren.

The defender joins on a deal until the end of the season and will provide competition in the centre of defence.

Son of former Celtic boss Neil, Gallagher goes straight into the squad for Saturday’s Scottish Cup tie against Rangers.

Welcome to Dumbarton, Lennon!”