The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

FFS!!! Once again you post some shite and derail the whole thread down another rabbit hole🙄

Pardon ?  Sports story regarding Robinson in the Renfrewshire World and Daily Record by former Saints player speculating. What's the problem please do explain. No doubt your reading the whole thing wrongly. Did I meet you in Blackpool with Div many moons ago ? 

24 minutes ago, starryfish said:

As an Aberdeen fan I’m not seeing too much of Robinson’s track record that enthuses me. 

Good so long as you are an advisor to Cormack

So here we are at the same place again, with former players trying desperately hard to do another bigger clubs dirty work in the media. 
Robbo would be nuts to take that Aberdeen job, given their current status and precarious league position. But ultimately money talks and if an offer came in I’m sure he’d consider it. 

We must be doing something the right way in regards to how the club have made big strides forward in the past 5 or 6 years. 

Remember when many laughed at Fitzy for having ambitions of regular top six finishes ? 

5 hours ago, zildjian said:

Say we did get a European spot, how much extra money would that bring to the club?

Prize moneyFor the 2022–23 season, group stage participation in the Europa Conference League is awarded a base fee of €2,940,000. A victory in the group pays €500,000 and a draw €166,000.

5th place in SPL gets you to 2nd qualifying round and prize money as such.

• First qualifying round elimination: €150,000.
  • Second qualifying round elimination: €350,000.
  • Third qualifying round elimination: €550,000.
  • Play-off round elimination: €750,000.

6 minutes ago, truesaint said:

• First qualifying round elimination: €150,000.
  • Second qualifying round elimination: €350,000.
  • Third qualifying round elimination: €550,000.
  • Play-off round elimination: €750,000.

Clearly any progress in Europe (IF we finish high enough!!!) would require costs of travel, bonuses etc to be subtracted.

I appreciate the odds will be against a Scottish club progressing but what an opportunity to move the club forward financially.

Only a few seasons ago the bookies had us odds on for relegation to the seaside leagues!

16 hours ago, GAD said:

We love him, and are all worried he will leave, but realistically, the only place he's going is a similar club who are willing to pay him more money.

That's pretty much Aberdeen - OK they're maybe just about a notch above you guys in Scottish terms.  

15 minutes ago, truesaint said:

It’s my understanding that 5th place league finish is not a guaranteed entry for Europe.

I believe it depends on who wins the Scottish Cup as if it’s a team not in the Champions league slots the cup winners automatically enter the Europa League. 

https://www.sportinglife.com/amp/football/news/which-scottish-clubs-will-be-playing-in-european-competitions-next-season/209858

Saturday’s Scottish Cup final ironed out the European qualifiers and plans for next season.

Celtic’s win over Inverness denied Caley Thistle a place in Europe and ensured Hibernian qualified through their fifth-placed finish in the cinch Premiership.

The result guaranteed group-stage football for Aberdeen and also gave Hearts a later start.

I’d rather we finish 4th in the league as it would be a fair kick in the balls if a team like Morten won the Scottish Cup, we finish 5th and no European trip for us. 

Ok perhaps I’ve taken that scenario too far by mentioning Morten but hopefully you get the gist of what I’m describing. 

Apologies if I’m misunderstanding this.  

But could someone please tell me if my logic is correct?

That’s why I believe the next two games this season against Kilmarnock are key for us…..assuming we both finish top 6.

27 minutes ago, hk blues said:

That's pretty much Aberdeen - OK they're maybe just about a notch above you guys in Scottish terms.  

A notch? Aberdeen have an operational budget at least 4x greater than what we have.

They also have a wealthy owner that can pump extra money into them. 

They are clearly underperforming but they have much greater resources to return and become famous again! 😂 

Dundee and Dundee United are also underperforming for the operational budgets that they have which again are much greater than our club. Again backed by wealthy owners. But both I believe running at major losses. 

This is a great time for St Mirren. A fan owned club.

We are clearly over performing and if we enjoy basking in the European sunshine next year we should make the fcuking most of it as the reality is that it’s unlikely to be sustainable over a long period. 

Our last attempt at regular European qualification was in the early 80s via league places.
This really is an amazing achievement giving that I’d say it’s harder for us to compete now against the city clubs in this country. 

4 minutes ago, Molotov said:

We are clearly over performing

Youre not, and you need away from this mindset otherwise youll waste the opportunity you currently have because you all think it cant be maintained.

Use us as a warning and be better.

31 minutes ago, Molotov said:

It’s my understanding that 5th place league finish is not a guaranteed entry for Europe.

I believe it depends on who wins the Scottish Cup as if it’s a team not in the Champions league slots the cup winners automatically enter the Europa League. 

https://www.sportinglife.com/amp/football/news/which-scottish-clubs-will-be-playing-in-european-competitions-next-season/209858

Saturday’s Scottish Cup final ironed out the European qualifiers and plans for next season.

Celtic’s win over Inverness denied Caley Thistle a place in Europe and ensured Hibernian qualified through their fifth-placed finish in the cinch Premiership.

The result guaranteed group-stage football for Aberdeen and also gave Hearts a later start.

I’d rather we finish 4th in the league as it would be a fair kick in the balls if a team like Morten won the Scottish Cup, we finish 5th and no European trip for us. 

Ok perhaps I’ve taken that scenario too far by mentioning Morten but hopefully you get the gist of what I’m describing. 

That’s why I believe the next two games this season against Kilmarnock are key for us…..assuming we both finish top 6.

We're really hoping for Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and Killie to win this weekend, as they are 4 of the top 5. 

I think the main threat to our European hopes is a resurgent Hibs, hopefully they can return to their clownshoes defending of a few weeks ago.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Youre not, and you need away from this mindset otherwise youll waste the opportunity you currently have because you all think it cant be maintained.

Use us as a warning and be better.

Of course we are. Another city club backed by a wealthy owner. 

39 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Yeah you are correct but think Killie will pip us to 4th unfortunately hence why I am looking at 5th place option and one of the cheeks, hearts or killie to win the scottish cup. 

58 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Clearly any progress in Europe (IF we finish high enough!!!) would require costs of travel, bonuses etc to be subtracted.

I appreciate the odds will be against a Scottish club progressing but what an opportunity to move the club forward financially.

Only a few seasons ago the bookies had us odds on for relegation to the seaside leagues!

There is also money from the fans, hospitality etc. too

24 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Of course we are. 

Youll struggle to find a season in the last 20 years where a club other than Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hearts, Hibernian or Kilmarnock havent finished in the top 6.

Finishing in the top 6 two seasons in a row isnt an overachieving and shouldnt be celebrated as some great feat, it should be seen as you setting new standards and as a springboard to achieve even more. Keep going and you should be getting very close to a top 3 finish and a trophy within the next 3-4 years.

Its absolutely shitebag mentality to think this is as good as it can get for you. The "bigger" clubs are dreadful more often than not.

Edited by RandomGuy.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Youll struggle to find a season in the last 20 years where a club other than Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hearts, Hibernian or Kilmarnock havent finished in the top 6.

Finishing in the top 6 two seasons in a row isnt an overachieving and shouldnt be celebrated as some great feat, it should be seen as you setting new standards and as a springboard to achieve even more. Keep going and you should be getting very close to a top 3 finish and a trophy within the next 3-4 years.

Its absolutely shitebag mentality to think this is as good as it can get for you. The "bigger" clubs are dreadful more often than not.

Zzzzzzzzzz

According to your claims St Mirren FC Ltd are only in this situation because we spent the Covid loan on better players.

Hope you get relegated and never return. 👋