The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

No. I think St Mirren have one of the best managers in the league, and one of the best built squads in the league. Is battling for fourth not exactly where they should be in comparison to others? Did you think last Summer it would be outrageous for St Mirren to push on even further and challenge higher than the year before?

Or are we just meant to ignore everything that actually relates to results?

The fact that they have a manager and a squad this good is in itself an indication of overperformance by the club though - they haven't accumulated it by spending millions, but rather by some sensible decision making. However, when a club like St Mirren (or even Killie) do well, all of the constituent parts will get picked off much faster than if Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs had the same manager and squad, and that makes it incredibly difficult to replicate the success over and over again, no matter how good the decision making behind the scenes is.

It is unrealistic to ever expect a club of that sort of size to be a permanent fixture in the top six.

28 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It is unrealistic to ever expect a club of that sort of size to be a permanent fixture in the top six.

I've never said they should be a permanent fixture.

I think sides like St Mirren, and yourselves, should be looking to make the top six more often than not and not treating it like a major achievement when it happens. Its not an "overachievement" to do it, its simply having a good season. 

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

It’s kinda strange arguing with a supporter of another club whose only major honours took place when Scottish football either had no supporters in stadiums (2020/2021) or The Rangers were down in the seaside leagues (2013/2014) and Lennon was not doing well domestically in the cups. 

For a city club with much greater wealth and resources than our wee town I’d say the shitebag mentality clearly resides in Perth. 

Winning the double probably doesn’t rank as that big an achievement for @RandomGuy. as the only teams you really should be happy beating are Celtic or Rangers. All the rest of the clubs you would just expect to beat.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

We'll be doing something very, very wrong indeed if we end up with a trip to Tajikistan.

It was actually a reference that you could end up in some former Russian state such as Kazakhstan get knocked out in the first round. No idea of costs but I would be surprised if a good profit could be made. Half full glass let's hope it's near.  

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Why are we even discussing St Mirren qualifying for Europe at this stage ? 

We have 4 very tough games to negotiate to even guarantee a top-6 slot before the split. It's not inconceivable that we could lose all of them. Right now making the top-6 is our next hurdle. If we miss out on top-6 there's going to be a few posters with egg on their faces.

And no, I'm not elvis in disguise. 

Of course it's not inconceivable. We could lose to any team in the league. However, our form both current and over the whole season, would suggest that it's highly unlikely we'll lose 4 on the bounce. Perhaps you could give us a list of things we're allowed to discuss??

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The fact that they have a manager and a squad this good is in itself an indication of overperformance by the club though - they haven't accumulated it by spending millions, but rather by some sensible decision making. However, when a club like St Mirren (or even Killie) do well, all of the constituent parts will get picked off much faster than if Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs had the same manager and squad, and that makes it incredibly difficult to replicate the success over and over again, no matter how good the decision making behind the scenes is.

This is very true. For example if either of us had Shankland this season scoring the goals he has for Hearts, there is not a hope in hell we would've held onto him in the January window. I was surprised enough that our respective clubs managed to hang on to the likes of Keanu Baccus and Danny Armstrong. 

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

We have 4 very tough games to negotiate to even guarantee a top-6 slot before the split. It's not inconceivable that we could lose all of them. Right now making the top-6 is our next hurdle. If we miss out on top-6 there's going to be a few posters with egg on their faces.

It's fair comment because the 4 games we have are fairly tough.  I think that's why the win against Aberdeen was so important. It gives us a 9 point gap to Dundee with 5 games left and a 10 point gap to Motherwell with 4 games left. I think even with a poor bit of form we should get there. 

5 hours ago, Molotov said:

It’s kinda strange arguing with a supporter of another club whose only major honours took place when Scottish football either had no supporters in stadiums (2020/2021) or The Rangers were down in the seaside leagues (2013/2014) and Lennon was not doing well domestically in the cups. 

For a city club with much greater wealth and resources than our wee town I’d say the shitebag mentality clearly resides in Perth. 

Wasn't this the same criteria for all clubs those seasons...?

Da funk is your point?

2 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

It's fair comment because the 4 games we have are fairly tough.  I think that's why the win against Aberdeen was so important. It gives us a 9 point gap to Dundee with 5 games left and a 10 point gap to Motherwell with 4 games left. I think even with a poor bit of form we should get there. 

Yes, it's not a given yet.

One other poster characterises it as "highly unlikely" we lose all four. While I wouldn't go the other way and claim it's "highly likely we will", it's a tough run of games. Three away games, including against an OF team, and the one home game is against relatively in-form Hearts. If the Hearts of the first home game against them turns up, we would have nothing to fear but they aren't that team presently.

Flipping it on its head a bit, for us to fail to make top six from here, two of three teams currently sitting sixth to eighth need to overhaul us in the shape of Hibs, Dundee and Motherwell.

Motherwell have to essentially "run the board" and beat everyone to overhaul us I think. A draw away v them would finish their hopes if still existing by then.

Dundee could catch us, but I think their game in hand will be critical to their chances. Lose it and they are nine behind us with four to play. That would be an ask albeit not impossible. Even a draw leaves them a long way off, and a win still means AT LEAST two more wins needed from their last four - one of which is against The Rangers.

Hibs probably have a good chance of being five behind us with four to play after their game in hand against County. They have a nice run in EXCEPT an away game against The Rangers of their own. You can never say never, but I think it's likely they would then need to probably win two of their other three to overhaul us before the split.

However - we all want Europe, so I see these next few games being as much about - if we can - giving ourselves as big a gap over 6th as we possibly can before the post-split games. We fell over the line last season with no gap - and the Hibs defeat ended our European hopes to all intents and purposes after that (notwithstanding a couple of other decent efforts such as the games against Hearts and Celtic where we ought to have taken more).

16 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

All games are tough though. I don’t really get the point. 
Even if you completely write off Celtic away and look at the corresponding games to the other 3 fixtures, we drew at Kilmarnock, won at Motherwell and won at home to Hearts. 
Wilbur’s point was how dare we talk about Europe when we still had 4 tough games and could lose all of them. Of course we could, but it’s highly unlikely based on form. 

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I see that Maccabi Haifa have loaned Stav to one of the smaller teams in the top league. He scored for them at the weekend.

It's a mystery as to why he wasn't a success with us or at least given more game time. 

4 minutes ago, AW saint said:

It's a mystery as to why he wasn't a success with us or at least given more game time. 

The young lad was most likely affected by the situation back home.
I’m sure the manager and the club did their best to help him to settle but it can be tough for some people to leave their own country during peaceful times never mind what’s going on right now. 
Some thrive - others suffer homesickness.

I’ve seen it a few times in my career with highly talented people. 

At least he never stole a bike to leave Paisley like Marhez.

It's not really a mystery why a 21-year-old boy who moved half way round the world right as a war kicks off back home and subsequently fails to settle. I think it's fairly obvious why he didn't hit the ground running.

Ethan Sutherland, who is on loan at Alloa, getting a bit of praise on The Terrace's lower league podcast today.

Seems Gallagher Lennon might be struggling a bit at Dumbarton though (and that's not just based on them getting thumped by Stranraer during the week).

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Ethan Sutherland, who is on loan at Alloa, getting a bit of praise on The Terrace's lower league podcast today.

Seems Gallagher Lennon might be struggling a bit at Dumbarton though (and that's not just based on them getting thumped by Stranraer during the week).

Maybe he should try some self promotion and make himself available to Aberdeen?