The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

49 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

There is a hard core within our support that seem openly hostile towards Robinson and are looking for any stick to beat him with. Yes a few decisions he makes frustrate me (he has hung Mcmenamin out to dry playing him on the right constantly imo) but his overall record is beyond anything else in generations. I have no idea why the haters seem to hate (possibly not being a "St Mirren" man is all I can think of which in this day and age is beyond laughable) but they certainly seem to seize on every minute thing they can.

Some of our fans are absolute zoomers who would complain if we won the CL, Eurovision and Crufts.

Hopefully the Manager etc are giving it the contempt it deserves. 

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Our recent form hasn't even been that bad.

Not that its a relevant timeframe at all for anything, but I looked at the league table since we sacked MacLean and was surprised you were so low.

Screenshot_20240407_064115_Chrome.thumb.jpg.83f987ff87a660730b357be82b9e7dec.jpg

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Due to Covid, UEFA banned away supporters. Just 1 Saints fan was at the away game, and no Galatasaray fans were at the home tie.

Genuinely devastated by it all.

Still at least you got the chance in person to see your team lift two major domestic honours at Hampden in the one season.

I’ve witnessed how that feels - but one trophy was in 1987 and the other in 2013. 

😜 

It was a tad disappointing not to get a point yesterday, but anyone moaning about a back to back top six finish not being good enough are just taking the piss. 

For Robinson and his staff to do what they’ve done given the  budget  we currently operate with, is a great achievement. 

We probably won’t get 4 th but a fifth place finish would be excellent. 

6 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

That's one place I would not go their fans have a bad reputation. But first we have the small matter of qualification first. Killie are flying they are a definite Europe bound. 

My old man went to the Ali Sami Yen about 2003 for a Champions League match and said it was one of the best and most welcoming places he's ever been.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not that its a relevant timeframe at all for anything, but I looked at the league table since we sacked MacLean and was surprised you were so low.

Screenshot_20240407_064115_Chrome.thumb.jpg.83f987ff87a660730b357be82b9e7dec.jpg

Feels about right: it's been clear that there's only one relevant team that we've lost major ground on, and they are going to deservedly finish fourth. The rest of that table sums up how we've managed to stay fifth despite our form being very patchy.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

There is a hard core of clueless balloons within our support that seem openly hostile towards Robinson and are looking for any stick to beat him with. Yes a few decisions he makes frustrate me (he has hung Mcmenamin out to dry playing him on the right constantly imo) but his overall record is beyond anything else in generations. I have no idea why the haters seem to hate (possibly not being a "St Mirren" man is all I can think of which in this day and age is beyond laughable) but they certainly seem to seize on every minute thing they can.

FIFY.

You are correct.

You can see the posts on here, usually when we lose, with barbs about Robinson or his signings, every time they post. 

They don't have the balls to admit they were wrong about Robinson's appointment and makes them look very foolish. Long may it last.

P.S. I agree with you regarding McMenamin.

43 minutes ago, Bastian Pigclimber said:

That table corresponds roughly with the time we have been without Ryan Strain. No one who has filled in at RWB has come close to his ability and that’s been a huge weakness for us.

We've also been without Baccus and O'Hara for lengthy periods during that time.

40 minutes ago, FTOF said:

FIFY.

You are correct.

You can see the posts on here, usually when we lose, with barbs about Robinson or his signings, every time they post. 

They don't have the balls to admit they were wrong about Robinson's appointment and makes them look very foolish. Long may it last.

P.S. I agree with you regarding McMenamin.

Yesterday was crying out for a switch when Scott came on. Cochrane had Mcmenamin in his pocket as he has no right foot despite Mcmenamin beating him constantly, he couldn't get a cross in with his right and Cochrane knew that so just ushered him onto his right side every time he went past him.

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

Still at least you got the chance in person to see your team lift two major domestic honours at Hampden in the one season.

Am I being whooshed here? There were no fans at either of those finals.

4 hours ago, GAD said:

Our recent form hasn't even been that bad. Last 6 or last 10 matches both are still comfortably top six form. Last 4 we've played Aberdeen, Hearts, Killie and Well, the two best teams in the league outside the OF and one of the most in form and taken 4 points, most of the doomsayers were predicting 0.

The problem is of course, that Robbo has done a brilliant job and is now probably our most successful manager since the 80s. Now despite what they say, a lot of people wouldn't actually "love to be proved wrong" and they aren't happy at all about this. Therefore they have to blow every minor setback way out of proportion and can't enjoy any of the good times because 2 years ago they said he was Stubbs MK2 and won't just admit things changed.

I noticed that got brought up on Twitter the other day. At the time people were right to criticise and concern because our form was awful and we'd gone from pushing for the top six under Goodwin to being dragged into the relegation mire under Robinson when we should never have been in danger of going down. They weren't much better in the League Cup either.

Thankfully, things have obviously improved considerably and I've no problem admitting I was wrong but it seems not everyone is in the same boat.

19 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Am I being whooshed here? There were no fans at either of those finals.

Aye. I kinda thought that was obvious as I put the bit in bold and the 😜 at the end.

I find it incredibly amusing that Saintees fans never experienced seeing their team win those trophies. 

Ask any players or managers who played to empty stadiums during that period and they all say it was completely surreal and completely devoid of atmosphere. It led to freak results. 

Which probably explains why St J. won those trophies. 😂 

They had an advantage over every other team! 😂 

The trophies won during that period should have asterisks beside them. Or make it null and void. 😂 

3 hours ago, Molotov said:

Aye. I kinda thought that was obvious as I put the bit in bold and the 😜 at the end.

I find it incredibly amusing that Saintees fans never experienced seeing their team win those trophies. 

Ask any players or managers who played to empty stadiums during that period and they all say it was completely surreal and completely devoid of atmosphere. It led to freak results. 

Which probably explains why St J. won those trophies. 😂 

They had an advantage over every other team! 😂 

The trophies won during that period should have asterisks beside them. Or make it null and void. 😂 

Aye. My Celtic supporting mate still claims our 1-2 win at Parkhead didnae count for that reason. 😄

13 hours ago, GAD said:

I was thinking yesterday, whilst it was great that the ground was sold out, we do have a fair few season ticket holders that, for whatever reason, can't attend each week. I'm not knocking these guys, they put their money in each season, probably knowing they won't get the full value, and I know plenty of them won't even live in Scotland anymore, but I wonder if it would be worth the club trying to set up some kind of exchange, or resale for these tickets, especially with everything being digital now? They have a list of all the season ticket holders, could it be as easy as signing in, marking yourself as "not going" and that releases the ticket for someone else? Not sure it's as easy as that, but might be worth a look, especially as we have one of the smaller grounds.

Really good point There were three of. us in hospitality yesterday to celebrate my.  70th leaving 3 empty seats in W2 Could have been resold with the.demand 

Saints are going really well. Just wondering what folks think about Kilmarnock? Are they paying much more than we do and is this the reason they have went beyond us this season - I always felt we paid simelar wages when in Top league ? 

24 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

Saints are going really well. Just wondering what folks think about Kilmarnock? Are they paying much more than we do and is this the reason they have went beyond us this season - I always felt we paid simelar wages when in Top league ? 

£12k a week on two guys for the bench isn’t too much money.

2 hours ago, Norrie82 said:

Despite some of the Killie fans wanting Del sacked not so long ago, they have a very good manager and they are having a great season!

Good luck to them………..and I genuinely mean that!

No reflection on St Mirren football club or Stephen Robinson or anyone else associated with the club. 

Maybe I am misreading your post but it seems like you are making mischief. 

If not, I apologize however if you are then go f**k yourself until you get to a fence that says stop, cross the fence and continue fucking yourself.

Like I said if this was a genuine question then ignore the last sentence 👍

5th spot will get European football and what a season that would be, 6th from here would be disappointing but nobody could possibly say Robinson hasn’t done a great job, majority of the season we’ve had very important players out and we’ve managed to keep digging out results