The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

3 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Brown is only on loan till end of the season. I think we will be looking to fill his place as well as Strain's. Elvis and Tanner could well be our first choice full backs going into next season (with Elvis signing an extension of course).

Would love to see Gogic stay, though the only pull may be European football and at that he may already be considering an alternative move outside the country.

I see Mallan at Salford has been released. Not sure how fit he is following a long term injury, though if affordable would anyone be up for him filling one of those midfield roles?

Mallan has talent but played only 17 games this season (league 2) and no goals.

Injured a lot I suspect.

He's a no from me.

5 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I personally haven't been impressed with any of his appearances thus far. I think the team looks weaker when he's playing.

We do have an option on Elvis. Problem is though, he's not shown anything in either an attacking or defensive capacity that shows he's cut out. For a wing back not to look strong in either sense worries me and it's absolutely ludicrous the sheer number of times he lets his winger past him, there's no strength whatsoever in his tackling.

I'd maybe keep him as backup but wouldn't be at all fussed if we let him move on.

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We do have an option on Elvis. Problem is though, he's not shown anything in either an attacking or defensive capacity that shows he's cut out. For a wing back not to look strong in either sense worries me and it's absolutely ludicrous the sheer number of times he lets his winger past him, there's no strength whatsoever in his tackling.

I'd maybe keep him as backup but wouldn't be at all fussed if we let him move on.

I actually like him. Elvis is very capable and will get better. He has pace and age on his side. I would not be upset if he was first choice full back. 

Brown on the other hand looks average. 

The biggest loss to the side will be Gogic if he goes. 

I also feel we should clear out some of our strikers. Not enough goals in the team for me. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Shaun Rooney has left Fleetwood. I would take him. Be difficult to replace Strain but Rooney is a good option.

Always been a fan of his and he the right attributes in that he's a good attacking full back who can play in 2 or 3 other positions if needed and a big unit of a guy. Perfect age at only 27/28 too. He's pretty much a stereotypical 'Robinson signing' on paper.

He's also about 4x fitter than Strain and you know you're getting 90 minutes out of the lad.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Always been a fan of his and he the right attributes in that he's a good attacking full back who can play in 2 or 3 other positions if needed and a big unit of a guy. Perfect age at only 27/28 too. He's pretty much a stereotypical 'Robinson signing' on paper.

He's also about 4x fitter than Strain and you know you're getting 90 minutes out of the lad.

No idea how he's only 27ish, but yeah would absolutely take him.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Sorry my response was in relation to Brown rather than Elvis.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Mind he was on trial with us pre season when he was at Queens Park though we opted against signing him as we were not desperate for a right back at the time and he wasn't as experienced at that time.

35 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Any word about the likelihood of away tickets being on sale at the ground tomorrow? 

Cash turnstile open

STV news just did a piece on the VAR fails and how they impacted various clubs.

Focussed on how badly done Hibs were by having no mistakes in their favour and 2 (TWO) against them.

Poor Hibs.

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I reckon we're winning a cup next year, and I'm convinced Rooney would jump at the chance to win a trophy in front of some actual people.

f**k you.

I think it's madness to think we can catch Killie, 6 points and a decent goal difference, plus they've had our number this year (2 wins/1 draw)....

...but it's not entirely impossible. They play a Rangers desperate for points and goals, and we have a 6 pointer against them in our next game.

As they say, it's the hope that'll kill you, so I'll settle for 5th and congratulate Killie on their 4th now.

The Killie game is one where if we win, we're looking at being 3 behind with two to play.

It would be great to be in a situation we head to Parkhead on last day with an outside of reeling Kilmarnock in but we have our work cut out and need bit of fortune elsewhere to get into that situation.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

The Killie game is one where if we win, we're looking at being 3 behind with two to play.

..and those two would be Hearts and Celtic. Hearts are basically playing dead rubbers at this point, while the title race will probably be decided by the time that Celtic play us.

It's still a serious long shot, and it relies on Kille shitting the bed over several games.

46 minutes ago, Ric said:

I think it's madness to think we can catch Killie, 6 points and a decent goal difference, plus they've had our number this year (2 wins/1 draw)....

...but it's not entirely impossible. They play a Rangers desperate for points and goals, and we have a 6 pointer against them in our next game.

As they say, it's the hope that'll kill you, so I'll settle for 5th and congratulate Killie on their 4th now.

I dont want 4th.

If we finish 5th, the first game is during the school holidays.

4th, i think the second leg is when the schools are back, and i dont fancy having a debate with my wife over what is more important, a trip to Europe or the wean's first day at High School.