The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Is this the same Falkirk who were paying Stainrod and Waddle a fucking fortune while playing in that absolute shit tip Brockville? When we were forced to seat the Northbank and build the PDE stand behind the love street goal, in order to have a Premiership standard ground ?

Not many of the Falkirk fans giving a f**k about the bigger picture then. 

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

Is this the same Falkirk who were paying Stainrod and Waddle a fucking fortune while playing in that absolute shit tip Brockville?

They also paid £350k for Derek Ferguson. 

"Ull tell ye wot"...that was bad business. 

5 minutes ago, medals said:

Should we sign Maolida (if we can).

18 SPL matches, 10 goals and 2 assists.

He would give us another option

He would be the best player in the team never mind another option and we’d struggle to afford him for one month never mind a full season. 

4 minutes ago, medals said:

Should we sign Maolida (if we can).

18 SPL matches, 10 goals and 2 assists.

He would give us another option

There’s zero chance of that and it’s something that the club won’t even have considered - I wouldn’t be shocked if he ended up at Rangers or Celtic.

17 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

He would be the best player in the team never mind another option and we’d struggle to afford him for one month never mind a full season. 

It would have to be a loan. I doubt Hibs were paying too much more than we could afford.

Given we were gonna pay plenty for Van Veen.

The lad no doubt wants 1st team action and play in a European competition with a better team than Hibs... come on SR

Ok it might be pie in the sky, but what we gonna spend all our euro money on?

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, medals said:

It would have to be a loan. I doubt Hibs were paying too much more than we could afford.

Given we were gonna pay plenty for Van Veen.

The lad no doubt wants 1st team action and play in a European competition with a better team than Hibs... come on SR

Ok it might be pie in the sky, but what we gonna spend all our euro money on?

Given that they were paying Chris Mueller £10k a week a couple of years ago, I would believe they have more muscle than us in the wages department.

They also signed the boy Marcondes from Bournemouth on loan,  who is apparently on around £17k a week. I'm sure they must have at least picked half of that wage up.

The euro money isn't huge in the early stages. You have the cost of travel, accommodation etc.

Edited by smellthepaw

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

On sustainable squad and infrastructure improvements, hopefully.

Boring...

Aye but sensible.

I do think we'll see a surprise or two coming in soon though.

9 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Given that they were paying Chris Mueller £10k a week a couple of years ago, 

They signed the boy Marcondes from Bournemouth on loan,  who is apparently on around £17k a week. I'm sure they must have at least picked half of that wage up.

So imagine we could sign him for 5k a week for next season and his strike/assist rate was similar to his spell at Hibs. So scores 20 goals and 4 or so assists. What might that be worth to us in Europe, league position etc. And therefore prize money and crowd delight bringing in more dosh too?

Ok there is risk (always) but we have seen 1st hand that budgeting for 10th was not a great strategy compared to thinking far bigger (top 6).

And chances of us getting him or anyone who'll score 20 in a season are close to zilch.

But... watch this space, I think we will push things higher, and we will have to, to remain a top 6 side.

1 minute ago, callum-g said:

I think it’s safe to assume that the little “love in” between some Falkirk fans and a section of our Saints fans has come to an end . 😂

Thank feck! Fucking weird behaviour 😂

56 minutes ago, medals said:

So imagine we could sign him for 5k a week for next season and his strike/assist rate was similar to his spell at Hibs. So scores 20 goals and 4 or so assists. What might that be worth to us in Europe, league position etc. And therefore prize money and crowd delight bringing in more dosh too?

Ok there is risk (always) but we have seen 1st hand that budgeting for 10th was not a great strategy compared to thinking far bigger (top 6).

And chances of us getting him or anyone who'll score 20 in a season are close to zilch.

But... watch this space, I think we will push things higher, and we will have to, to remain a top 6 side.

Realistically we have 1 or 2 qualifiers in us, it’s not going to bring about an endless amount of profit or be a huge selling point to the players. It wasn’t enough to keep Strain and Baccus here, who were 2 of our better players. The players we have signed so far would have been attainable had we finished 8th and I suspect that is the way the rest of the transfer window will go too. It would be a bit stupid to go gung-ho on the basis of a couple of European qualifiers. It might give us the resources to bring in an additional player on our current wage structure or might allow us to replace all the balls Ayunga launches out the stadium.

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Didn't we once have a "wage structure" that couldn't be breached ? 

When did we ditch that ?

Standard line clubs use... you think we don't sign players on more than some imaginary line in the sand?

We have a playing budget. The manger and Board cut their cloth accordingly but things like bigger crowds and finishing higher prize money give them more scope.

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

Realistically we have 1 or 2 qualifiers in us, it’s not going to bring about an endless amount of profit or be a huge selling point to the players. It wasn’t enough to keep Strain and Baccus here, who were 2 of our better players. The players we have signed so far would have been attainable had we finished 8th and I suspect that is the way the rest of the transfer window will go too. It would be a bit stupid to go gung-ho on the basis of a couple of European qualifiers. It might give us the resources to bring in an additional player on our current wage structure or might allow us to replace all the balls Ayunga launches out the stadium.

If we could get a player like Maolida who, if he continued his Hibs form and scored 20 goals for 5k a week would that be gung-ho?

Wasn't Van Veen considered even though it would have cost 50/60k or more for a few months al9ng the same sort of lines?

We have at least 2 qualifiers - home and away. It should not be beyond us to play 4.

The income is much more than simply the euro prize money. Crowd, possibly tv money and hospitality on the home ties will be significant too.

If we win through those 2 rounds we will be well into 6 figures more income.

I understand the fear of good governance rather than stretching foolishness, but even to stay 5th best we will need to kick on and next season, with euro fitba it is undoubtedly a cracking opportunity.