The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

In the latest Millhouse turn, Sidibeh is being linked with a move away this Summer.

Weird that a guy who was playing about 3 levels beneath himself wasn't picked up by a club in England before to be honest.

Not surprised a brief and good spell at a much higher level with a badly struggling team has alerted others.

As an aside, I love stories like his as they are rare nowadays. Guys who come from quite literally nothing to be a bit of a sensation in relative terms. Every player in the world it feels like is scouted within an inch of their life so when you signed a guy in his mid 20s from England's 7th tier, folk were pretty justified in laughing.

Edited by djchapsticks

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Weird that a guy who was playing about 3 levels beneath himself wasn't picked up by a club in England before to be honest.

Not surprised a brief and good spell at a much higher level with a badly struggling team has alerted others.

He's only played in the UK about 2-3 years. Was at his last club for 8 months or so before joining us.

There was lots of rumours and their chairman claimed bids from English clubs but I think his age (25), and lack of experience scared some folk off. It was maybe quite hard to even scout him properly due to footage issues at the level he was at?

He's now shone in the Scottish top flight with games easily accessible so there's now a mad rush from all the teams interested before to sign him now, before he has a full season here.

Metz, Middlesbrough, and Derby, linked yesterday from what I saw.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Metz, Middlesbrough, and Derby, linked yesterday from what I saw.

A 2 and a half year deal also leaves you in a good position to get exactly what you feel he's worth.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

A 2 and a half year deal also leaves you in a good position to get exactly what you feel he's worth.

Probably not. There's apparently a release clause of £300k in Mitovs contract, so who knows what's in Sidibehs.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Probably not. There's apparently a release clause of £300k in Mitovs contract, so who knows what's in Sidibehs.

Without being funny and it would probably be a no go due to a sideways step in terms of he could just as feasibly be in a league struggle with us as St. Johnstone, but I'd 100% advocate us shifting £300k for Mitov.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Without being funny and it would probably be a no go due to a sideways step in terms of he could just as feasibly be in a league struggle with us as St. Johnstone, but I'd 100% advocate us shifting £300k for Mitov.

I think virtually every club in the league, even Celtic/Rangers (likely as a Siegrist/McLaughlin-esque back up) would be making a move at that price.

Be interesting to see where he ends up. Spoke openly about only choosing us as the Scottish Premiership is "higher profile" than the English Championship in Bulgaria and it meant he'd get more of a chance of a call up. I'm not sure he'd be going to a Championship side without guarantees of being undisputed number one, and he might look abroad instead.

24 minutes ago, medals said:

Over 2000 season tickets renewed already... over £1/2 million banked so far.

Great start.

I wonder how many up we are from the the same stage as last season

20 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

How do St Johnstone plan to spend the £30k transfee they will get ?

Fix a pothole in the carpark, probably.

Eventually.

Once we receive all the installments. 

3 hours ago, AW saint said:

Gies a signing

A lot of contracts run out at the end of May, so fingers crossed there might be a player or two coming our way.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Has a single goal ever led to a bigger heads gone in Scottish football? Absolutely glorious stuff.

Just been thinking about this some more. Mad to think that was four years ago; what an utterly weird summer that was. 

Very pleased about how things have turned out for us and I'm sure Hearts fans are happy with where they have wound up as well. Thank f**k we didn't attempt a restructure.