The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

8 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Feck I thought it was a player. New kit it is then

Management trick.

Create excitement.  Then drop underwhelming news.

Then the big positive is still to be revealed. 

Classic sting! (er)

Looking forward to us releasing a third strip based on the Kelvin Homes all-black strip, accompanied by a video starring Stephen Robinson as Doc, and Conor McMenamin as Marty McFly in a spoof ‘Black to the Future’ video.

St Mirren truly are box office these days. B-Movie box office, but still… If they use my ‘Black to the Future’ idea, I demand a free steak & gravy pie.

9 hours ago, SS77 said:

SMISA are a shambles. I’m stunned the guys on their board thought that was a good idea.

They made a huge error of judgement over this. 

I don’t think it’s fair to say the SMISA board are a shambles unless you have additional evidence to share. 

They rectified the situation and apologised.

Many of these individuals on the board have been involved voluntarily with SMISA since 2002. 

You could always contact them directly and offer your services as there is a vacancy on the board. 

SMISA definitely requires new ideas/fresh input from younger supporters like yourself not just at board level but also the general membership.

Everyone within SMISA recognises that.  

We are already seeing limited tickets for away trips to Hearts, Celtic and Rangers. Other situations may arise for cup games against teams with restricted capacity at domestic level.

In terms of how to improve away ticket allocation would it not be a reasonably simple solution to introduce a points based system based on who actually goes to games as a paying customer based on purchase history. 

The club can easily capture this data at point of sale. Sure it’s a bit of extra administrative overhead but it would help eliminate unnecessary ballots.

I would not like to think there should be any additional costs associated with this. I used this method successfully in the 90s when I lived down south and went to most Premier League grounds.

As it stands today the only way to do this fairly for this particular European fixture is based on a ballot of Season Ticket holders. 

It is not ideal but seems the fairest way. 

I personally feel that the majority of supporters who would like to go will be priced out of travelling due to travel and hotel costs.

Another factor that may not have been discussed to date is how many tickets from the official away allocation will be set aside for club directors, staff, players and media team?

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

Most fans don't give one f**k about it and probably aren't even aware of it.

So usual storm in a teacup, while the important things that actually matter to the team move on.

Have a read at the Motherwell thread and be thankful we've got such a shambles as SMISA involved in running our club.

Sometimes we sound like a bunch of spoiled children.

Edited by FTOF

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

So usual storm in a teacup, while the important things that actually matter to the team move on.

From what I briefly saw on social media the majority of supporters called “foul” on this decision.

I’ve no issue with mistakes being made and rectified quickly.

Hope you feel that the right decision has been made. 

50 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Have a read at the Motherwell thread and be thankful we've got such a shambles as SMISA involved in running our club.

Sometimes we sound like a bunch of spoiled children.

It’s to their great credit that SMISA recognised the mistake and quickly sorted it out. 
We have lots of positive stuff going on at the club, let’s all keep the heid and concentrate on the positives.

A quick look at that Motherwell thread does confirm how lucky we are to have so many good people working at our club.

12 hours ago, Molotov said:

In terms of how to improve away ticket allocation would it not be a reasonably simple solution to introduce a points based system based on who actually goes to games as a paying customer based on purchase history. 

The club can easily capture this data at point of sale. Sure it’s a bit of extra administrative overhead but it would help eliminate unnecessary ballots.

Many clubs sell direct to Away fans (eg Fakes, Livi, Killie) and some have a pay-at-the-gate option so there is no record on Away purchase history that the Club can use for Away ballots.

Need to remember we also now limit the amount of away fans, thankfully. 

Blue and green mob plus Killie would always want more than they get, and maybe the Dons, Hibs and Hearts as well. 

It is really only Hearts and the Blue mob away that limit the size of our away fans, don't think there is any problem with any other ground. 

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Many clubs sell direct to Away fans (eg Fakes, Livi, Killie) and some have a pay-at-the-gate option so there is no record on Away purchase history that the Club can use for Away ballots.

Good point.
Hopefully something can be implemented in future that provides a fairer way to address situations where tickets are in limited supply. 

14 hours ago, Molotov said:

I don’t think it’s fair to say the SMISA board are a shambles unless you have additional evidence to share. 

They rectified the situation and apologised.

Many of these individuals on the board have been involved voluntarily with SMISA since 2002. 

You could always contact them directly and offer your services as there is a vacancy on the board. 

SMISA definitely requires new ideas/fresh input from younger supporters like yourself not just at board level but also the general membership.

Everyone within SMISA recognises that.  

It’s something I’ve got zero interest in mate. For all the good that SMISA do it’s ran like a bowling club IMO and I don’t think that will ever change.

7 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

Need to remember we also now limit the amount of away fans, thankfully. 

Blue and green mob plus Killie would always want more than they get, and maybe the Dons, Hibs and Hearts as well. 

It is really only Hearts and the Blue mob away that limit the size of our away fans, don't think there is any problem with any other ground. 

Had we needed a big result last day of the season away to Celtic to secure European football then I’m sure we would have taken a far bigger support than what Celtic would have offered.

Our away support at Parkhead and Ibrox has dropped significantly over the last few decades for obvious reasons.

12 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

2 centre-halves (Dunne and Bolton) down from the end of last season. Gallagher Lennon and Luke Kenny were offered contracts though, so they may be possible options.

We’ll definitely sign at least one centre back to cover the loss of Bolton.

1 minute ago, SS77 said:

It’s something I’ve got zero interest in mate. For all the good that SMISA do it’s ran like a bowling club IMO and I don’t think that will ever change.

If you are a member then raise your concerns.

Although you say that you have no interest - it’s younger fans that are the future custodians of our club.

We are a fan owned club. If there are issues then please try and get them addressed.

We should try to improve the situation for everyone who cares about the future of our club.

Just now, Molotov said:

If you are a member then raise your concerns.

Although you say that you have no interest - it’s younger fans that are the future custodians of our club.

We are a fan owned club. If there are issues then please try and get them addressed.

We should try to improve the situation for everyone who cares about the future of our club.

I’m not a member either - I like the idea of SMISA but I commit a lot of my time/money to Saints and don’t really feel like I’d get anything from paying £12 a month to them.

I’m gutted Bolton has left. Thought he was a great addition by Robbo.

However it gives an opportunity to someone else and also some unexpected transfer funds.

Do we have any academy graduates likely to break through this season?

Would be great to see a group of youngsters make the transition. 

Want to hear a Hansen style commentary “they’ll never win anything with kids”.