The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Just to get the rumour mill going, seen a post on Twitter that the new defender coming in is Alex Iacovitti from Port Vale, formally Ross County. 

Don't remember much about him other than him being a big unit. Quick wikipedia search says he's a left footed centre half. 

2 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

Just to get the rumour mill going, seen a post on Twitter that the new defender coming in is Alex Iacovitti from Port Vale, formally Ross County. 

Don't remember much about him other than him being a big unit. Quick wikipedia search says he's a left footed centre half. 

I remember him being decent for county. Could be useful. Grabs the odd goal. 

Problem is Taylor should be played on the left. The big guy is getting better all the time. 

We need a player more on the right

Just now, AW saint said:

I remember him being decent for county. Could be useful. Grabs the odd goal. 

Problem is Taylor should be played on the left. The big guy is getting better all the time. 

We need a player more on the right

He’s… okay.  I liked him more than most, but he’ll do a job.  Big unit, and a good attacking threat.   Left sided centre back and occasional full back but not really.  

Has an absolute mare in him, usually involving wayward passing. 

10 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Iacovitti would be a shocker of a signing IMO. He’s not as good as or better than anyone we have.

I can't remember enough of him to comment but it's been clear for a while that Robinson doesn't fully trust Taylor so I'm not surprised he's went for another left sided centre half 

14 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Transfer from Shkoder to Tirana at FT, stay in Tirana,  taxi to the airport. 

I hadn't considered getting to Tirana immediately after the game.  Was thinking 'pub' rather than a 2h journey in the dark. 

Flight not as early as I'd initially thought and a taxi from Shkoder is only around €60-€70 so early morning start a possible..

5 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

I hadn't considered getting to Tirana immediately after the game.  Was thinking 'pub' rather than a 2h journey in the dark. 

Flight not as early as I'd initially thought and a taxi from Shkoder is only around €60-€70 so early morning start a possible..

Flight is at 1055 so you'd be leaving Shkoder about 715-730am.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

He’s… okay.  I liked him more than most, but he’ll do a job.  Big unit, and a good attacking threat.   Left sided centre back and occasional full back but not really.  

Has an absolute mare in him, usually involving wayward passing. 

I think you’re confusing him with Charlie Dunne. 

30 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

I don't think there will be a big 11pm post match pub scene on the Thursday night in Shkoder. The only way that's feasible is if we land a feared 5pm kick off time and even then, it'll be about 37 degrees.

Plan currently is that we're staying in Tirana and travelling to Shkoder on morning of the match, we'll then head home and spend Friday in Tirana before an early Saturday flight.

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Iacovitti was always decent from what I remember at County.

Big screaming b*****d too

Indeed.

I thought we struggled at times last year, with lack of height in defence. Iaccovitti goes some way to addressing that. He'll also add some presence to our corners/set pieces.

I also certain that we'll bring in another RCB to replace Bolton.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I don't think there will be a big 11pm post match pub scene on the Thursday night in Shkoder. The only way that's feasible is if we land a feared 5pm kick off time and even then, it'll be about 37 degrees.

Plan currently is that we're staying in Tirana and travelling to Shkoder on morning of the match, we'll then head home and spend Friday in Tirana before an early Saturday flight.

I confess I've not looked at the town at all, but assumed there'd be things happening.  So are you heading back to Tirana directly after the match?