The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

5 hours ago, Torfason said:

I flew back from Seattle for the 2010 LC Final and it cost me a fortune…………….fortunately I had enough goodwill in the bank with the wife when 2013 came along that I did it again and after the disappointment of 2010 it was all the better. 🏆
Following your club really is an emotional thing.

Hope everyone traveling has a brilliant time 👏🏻👏🏻

Describing 2013 as 'all the better' Vs 2010 is quite the understatement 😂

Reason Shaun Rooney is out for Valur vs St Mirren first leg | The Herald (heraldscotland.com)

Reason Rooney won't play in Valur vs St Mirren as Tanser injury update provided

In his last appearance in Europe, Rooney was shown a red card after two cautions against LASK - within four minutes of each other in 79th and 83rd minutes - in Europa Conference League qualifying.

St Mirren assistant Diarmuid O'Carroll has confirmed Rooney will be missing, as he revealed the ban was due to expire days after the first leg.

"I think actually it expires possibly on August 1," he said. "But because we play in this round - he got suspended in the play-off round - typical. He's missing the first leg. Just the first leg."

Scott Tanser could return for St Mirren in Iceland after sitting out of the draw against Carlisle in pre-season. But, there is a nervous wait for results on Alex Iacovitti after he was forced off with a possible hamstring issue just seven minutes into his debut.

"We're hoping Scott [Tanser] will train at the start of the week," said O'Carroll. For Alex [Iacovitti], we will have to look at him.

"Other than that, we've got the longer-term ones in Greg [Kiltie] and Conor [McMenamin].

"Mark [O'Hara] had a wee knock and came off as a precaution but he's fine.

"Hopefully Alex's is nothing too serious. He has done really well since he came in and adds to what we have."

21 minutes ago, saintmurn said:

If we go through, we're going to one of these places. 

Screenshot_20240722_073916_com.android.chrome_edit_1600600446250555.jpg

Looks like Poland, Holland, Norway, Croatia and Sweden likeliest destinations. Good we've avoided the genocidal maniacs.

If you think getting to Iceland is difficult wait till we draw Tromso!*

* If we get through.

3 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Looks like Poland, Holland, Norway, Croatia and Sweden likeliest destinations. Good we've avoided the genocidal maniacs.

If you think getting to Iceland is difficult wait till we draw Tromso!*

* If we get through.

Netherlands would be easiest travel wise.

There are four or five flights to Amsterdam from Glasgow every day and Deventer is a couple of hours away by train from Amsterdam.

20 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

TBF, re Rooney, I'm pretty sure @Radford mentioned his suspension on the day he signed for us. So not a surprise. At least he's not injured like the rest of the squad.

Well, I suggested no one told you, so you'd be thrown out for playing him, if we want to be accurate.

Very disappointed to learn someone at St Mirren is competent when it comes to stuff like this.

10 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Aye but I didn’t have to Google Wilde quotes. 

Neither did I mate, hence why I was able quote the temptation one in the first place. Being a massive Smiths fan introduced me to Wilde in my teens and The Picture of Dorian Gray still remains one of my favourite books of all time. The temptation quote and the cynic quote are both taken from that novel (which is full of plenty other stoaters).

So in other words……”roon ye smartarse!” 🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Long-term Iceland resident, Marc McAusland on Valur (17 minutes in): 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0jcrnbv?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

Kiss of death. Reckons it should be "comfortable" for us. 

I’ve brewed a fresh pot of coffee, and cracked open a new packet of chocolate hob nobs just for what I’m about to post. For the last time, probably forever, in all seriousness and with genuine relevance to the situation at hand….drum roll….

FFS Cheesy!

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Netherlands would be easiest travel wise.

There are four or five flights to Amsterdam from Glasgow every day and Deventer is a couple of hours away by train from Amsterdam.

Dusseldorf and Koln aren't far away on the train either so like you say, loads of options there. 

Split and Warsaw would be easy to get to and brilliant places to visit too. 

Kuopio and Tromso are the ones to avoid. 

13 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I saw there was trouble getting to this one in terms of the price of flights etc. How bad has it been?

Prices shot up to north and south of £1k for a return from last Thursday. They were sitting between 350-just under 500 average leading up to the second leg. It wasn't worth the gamble buying early as most had favoured the Albanians in the second leg due to home advantage. 

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

There are still decent(ish) options from London airports at around £360 but even then flights to Heathrow are £210 and the train racks up even dearer at a FUCKING ridiculous £225 for a return.

All in all, it's been a bit of a shiter for folk like myself who was all in on Albania but recognised pretty early that the chances of an Iceland ticket were slim and weren't willing to risk travel without a ticket, especially as going would 100% rule me out of a future round should we make it.

I'm in the same boat as you mate. Had everything riding on Albania, as I knew Iceland flights etc would just rocket up if Valur won. That's the issue with having an opponent not in mainland Europe. I'm in the hope as well for saving cash for a potential 3rd round and get a better tie that's easier to find multiple routes to get to. It's all IF's just now though, as we need to see how we get on against Valur.

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

There are still decent(ish) options from London airports at around £360 but even then flights to Heathrow are £210 and the train racks up even dearer at a FUCKING ridiculous £225 for a return.

All in all, it's been a bit of a shiter for folk like myself who was all in on Albania but recognised pretty early that the chances of an Iceland ticket were slim and weren't willing to risk travel without a ticket, especially as going would 100% rule me out of a future round should we make it.

I understand that the club wasn’t prepared for this but with games at Tynecastle now also much sought after I do think that fans who go every week should have an advantage over a season ticket holder who’s never been out of paisley . So if you go online buy a ticket then it should be logged and that should count for games like this. As people say once in a lifetime games as it’s been 37 years waiting. I’m not annoyed with anyone lucky enough to be going but when I see people who are there every single week not going and people who are home fans only going it does make me feel it’s a little unfair. This isn’t the fault of the fan it’s the club who clearly never expected this thing to ever be an issue 

Edited by Norrie82

14 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

I understand that the club wasn’t prepared for this but with games at Tynecastle now also much sought after I do think that fans who go every week should have an advantage over a season ticket holder who’s never been out of paisley . So if you go online buy a ticket then it should be logged and that should count for games like this. As people say once in a lifetime games as it’s been 37 years waiting. I’m not annoyed with anyone lucky enough to be going but when I see people who are there every single week not going and people who are home fans only going it does make me feel it’s a little unfair. This isn’t the fault of the fan it’s the club who clearly never expected this thing to ever be an issue 

As someone has already said, how do you monitor this when some clubs sell the away tickets direct to fans on their own website? 

5 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

As someone has already said, how do you monitor this when some clubs sell the away tickets direct to fans on their own website? 

Fair enough I suppose that’s hard - you get my point though that ideally  guy and girls who are home and away don’t miss out to a fan who fancies a trip abroad but won’t go to a Fir Park

Surely it wouldn’t be too hard to work out a points based system based on how many games you buy through the website. And yes, I know that some clubs have PATG, but at least it would be fairer than what we’ve just had