The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Just now, AW saint said:

Anyone else excited for Thursday?

Buzzing for the game, as it’s the first time my two sons will get to see a home game in European competition. Can’t believe it’s been 37 years since I was at the Mechelen game with my old man.

Looking at Aberdeen and Dundee their new strikers seem to have settled in and started scoring, I can’t help but think we don’t have enough in our front line.

Decent players, work hard for the team etc but not prolific. I’m sure Robbo has a plan but if there is any money left or if anymore is available if we get through on Thursday then we need to strengthen upfront.

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

League Cup draw tomorrow. Think the following are our possible opponents:

Hibs, St Johnstone, Falkirk, Queen's Park, Spartans, Airdrieonians, Dundee Utd, Motherwell / Patrick Thistle

I fancy we draw Spartans or QP at home.

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

Looking at Aberdeen and Dundee their new strikers seem to have settled in and started scoring, I can’t help but think we don’t have enough in our front line.

Decent players, work hard for the team etc but not prolific. I’m sure Robbo has a plan but if there is any money left or if anymore is available if we get through on Thursday then we need to strengthen upfront.

Ross County's new striker is also in amongst the goals. 

We 100% need a new striker. What we have is ok but will not grab enough goals. 

I am not sure Robbo does have a plan to grab a striker. It is the one area I think he is blind to. 

I keep hoping he sorts it out but I am not convinced. 

30 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Ross County's new striker is also in amongst the goals. 

We 100% need a new striker. What we have is ok but will not grab enough goals. 

I am not sure Robbo does have a plan to grab a striker. It is the one area I think he is blind to. 

I keep hoping he sorts it out but I am not convinced. 

Are you forgetting our top league scorer for the last 6 seasons or so reached 10. That was O'Hara including penalties. 

SR has changed or been forced to lose :-

Greive, Main, Watt, Stav... had Jonah out injured most of last season and McMenamin and O'Hara similarly curtailed  etc.

Mandron got 8 last year. Toyosi 6

I wouldnt be surprised if both got over 10 this season which will bevthe most since Morgan.

If others pitch in (Jonah 2, Conor and Scott 1 and Jamieson 2 last time). Surely their tallies will improve too.

Add in Roland and Rooney and we will score more than last season.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love 2 more prolific... I mentioned Murray but folk didn't fancy him for us and his wages too much etc. 

Let's see how these other strikers do in the league rather than in the Cup against lower league opponents and lets see our lads once they get fully into their stride, knowing the competition is knocking on the door for their jersey. 

P.S. we scored the same no. As 4th placed Killie too

Edited by medals

2 minutes ago, medals said:

Are you forgetting our top league scorer for the last 6 seasons or so reached 10.

SR has changed or been forced to lose :-

Greive, Main, Watt, Stav... had Jonah out injured most of last season and McMenamin similarly curtailed  etc.

Mandron got 8 last year. Toyosi 6

I wouldnt be surprised if both got over 10 this season which will bevthe most since Morgan.

If others pitch in (Jonah 2, Conor and Scott 1 and Jamieson 2 last time). Surely their tallies will improve too.

Add in Roland and Rooney and we will score more than last season.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love 2 more prolific... I mentioned Murray but folk didn't fancy him for us and his wages too much etc. 

Let's see how these other strikers do in the league rather than in the Cup against lower league opponents and lets see our lads once they get fully into their stride, knowing the competition is knocking on the door for their jersey. 

I hope you are right about our goal tally this season. 

The numbers are still too low imo

We need a player who can finish the chances we missed on Thursday. 

Lets see if you called it right. 

I still have my fingers crossed we get a striker in before the window closes

Between us I think a "Saints FC" would challenge for 3rd.

You provide the goalkeeper, defence, midfield, and manager, and we provide the striker.

Jobs a good one.

6 minutes ago, AW saint said:

I hope you are right about our goal tally this season. 

The numbers are still too low imo

We need a player who can finish the chances we missed on Thursday. 

Lets see if you called it right. 

I still have my fingers crossed we get a striker in before the window closes

I hope so too. I know the usual argument is goal scorers are expensive etc but players find their level and a striker than can score in the Championship but not in the Premier League will command a certain value, same with those who can score goals for a mid table Premiership team like us. 
The most valuable thing in football is scoring goals so if we need to push the boat out a little for someone like that, I hope the club are able to do so…….not someone like Brophy who got his numbers from penalties, someone who actually scores from open play 😛

2 hours ago, Torfason said:

Spot on.

We don't have regular scorer.

It's a major Achilles heel.

However, I would love one of our current strike force or midfielders to prove me wrong.

I think we would need to move a striker on before we sign another imo. Do most of our strikers contracts expire at the end of this season (Ayunga, Mandron, Toyosi?).

Early doors in the season, but hope we see a return to form for Ayunga and the Scott project pay off.

Edited by zildjian

I reckon this could be Toyosi's season. He looks the most natural goalscorer we have by some distance. It was only at the end of last season he was starting games and was joint second top scorer. Make him the first striker on the team sheet and he'll produce the goods.

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Between us I think a "Saints FC" would challenge for 3rd.

You provide the goalkeeper, defence, midfield, and manager, and we provide the striker.

Jobs a good one.

Aye your 🎣 or 🍹 too much.

We scored 46 last season, you guys 29 and that includes you playing 5 extra games against the worst teams while we played 5 against the top teams.

And so far this season the league hasn't started.

I think you'll be in a 4 way battle to avoid the drop once more

4 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I reckon this could be Toyosi's season. He looks the most natural goalscorer we have by some distance. It was only at the end of last season he was starting games and was joint second top scorer. Make him the first striker on the team sheet and he'll produce the goods.

He should have got a penalty in Iceland but missed a no. of chances too.

He will improve. It is amazing how a striker can suddenly believe and start scoring consistently... look at Bair and Van Veen.

I'm not saying Toyosi will hit 20 or more, but I think 12 and 15 would be target and stretched target for this season.

He's got the speed, just needs the service and a bit more confidence.

16 minutes ago, medals said:

Aye your 🎣 or 🍹 too much.

We scored 46 last season, you guys 29 and that includes you playing 5 extra games against the worst teams while we played 5 against the top teams.

And so far this season the league hasn't started.

I think you'll be in a 4 way battle to avoid the drop once more

Yeah we're dogshit m8, I'm just making a joke that if you had Sidibeh or Kimpioka then you'd be strolling it as its ironic you lack that type of striker but have everything else, and we have nothing but that.

I look forward to you missing the joke and telling me about how Mandron outscored both last season.