The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Adeniran, Iacovitti, Brown, Smyth, Balcombe, Idowu, Rooney.

You've got to give it to Robinson, while very (very) early days, you have to say on their showing so far, there's not a bad transfer amongst our new recruits.

3 hours ago, Ric said:

Adeniran, Iacovitti, Brown, Smyth, Balcombe, Idowu, Rooney.

You've got to give it to Robinson, while very (very) early days, you have to say on their showing so far, there's not a bad transfer amongst our new recruits.

It's not even that. It's the fact that they have all improved our squad and team quite a bit.

Ok, early doors, but win through again in europe and beat the Dons again and the momentum will breed belief in buckets.

Fabulous 2nd half and no passengers.

Edited by medals

Balcombe is a tremendous goalkeeper. What a find he is. Brown at left back going forward too, Tanser did well to make it to half time before getting subbed. Great result & 2nd half performance.

I assume Iacovitti was at Ross County pre-VAR as he is very aggressive when defending crosses.

4 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Balcombe is a tremendous goalkeeper.

He really is, at least from his showing so far. It's almost like having a 4th defender considering how useful he is with his feet.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

He really is, at least from his showing so far. It's almost like having a 4th defender considering how useful he is with his feet.

Didn't think his kicks were that good today.

Just now, mcd54 said:

Didn't think his kicks were that good today.

I only caught the second half, so can't talk about the first, and in the second he had a bit of a scare when he transferred the ball from left foot to right, under pressure, and ended up kicking it out rather than to a player, but in general I think he shows all the signs of being the best distributor of the ball we've had between the sticks in.. well, forever.

15 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Balcombe is a tremendous goalkeeper. What a find he is. Brown at left back going forward too, Tanser did well to make it to half time before getting subbed. Great result & 2nd half performance.

I assume Iacovitti was at Ross County pre-VAR as he is very aggressive when defending crosses.

We are so much stronger physically and in the air especially. 

Balcombe is very very good.

Edited by medals

I’ve only seen us for the 3rd time this season, but can’t help but feel that we are allot stronger vs lab go last season, and that’s with Kiltie and McMenamin out.

Genuine competition all over the park, with Taylor a great example today of stepping up the completion that apparently has been brought in to replace him. 

interesting who, if anyone, we bring in now, still think we could do with a striker but having Mandron, Jonah, Olasanya and Scott to choose from isn’t the worst choice of forwards! Agree with the above Scott looked b sharp today and his two assists were really composed when many players would have panicked (probably including him last season) 

Great start to the season. Didnt expect a win by that margin. I thought first half was so-so, maybe Hibs with the better chances imo. I think taking putting brown on for tanser stopped their movement down that side of the pitch. Could tell aderinan was tyring to not get sent off so kind of scuppered his game a wee bit when he got the yellow. 

Second half we were much much better. Our season is going to rely on subs, and to be fair to Smyth and Scott, cant argue with a double each goals/assists.

Rooney looking like a big upgrade on Strain imo.

Idawu - do we have an option to buy?!

4 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

His distribution was all over the place today. 

Agree, he over-hit tons of kicks. He made another great save though, just like on Thursday. Even though his distribution wasn’t on point today, he’s on course already to become a firm fan favourite.

I haven't a clue what the Balcombe / Gogic goal kick routine is meant to achieve / create, but every time they've attempted it the result has been one of them blootering the sphere up the park.

Surely there's a genius tactic here that I haven't figured out yet ? 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I haven't a clue what the Balcombe / Gogic goal kick routine is meant to achieve / create, but every time they've attempted it the result has been one of them blootering the sphere up the park.

Surely there's a genius tactic here that I haven't figured out yet ? 

Theres a current train of thought that you "increase passing angles/reduce opponents press effectiveness" by having the CB pass to the GK then move to receive a pass, rather than GK to CB and having to give it straight back to the keeper.

Lots to be pleased about today but particularly happy for James Scott, considering he struggled to get going last season.

2 excellent assists: I thought the pass for the first should have gone near post, but I hadn't seen Smyth coming into the box. Scott did, great vision and execution. The second, calm head and perfect weight of pass. Will do him the world of good.

It is early days but I am liking what I am seeing so far. 

With each game we will get fitter and our passing and movement will improve. 

New signings are an upgrade on last season. 

Idowu is superb. Would try and sign him on a full contract. 

James Scott is finally looking more of a player. 

Need to single out Brown. He has been outstanding so far.