The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

5 minutes ago, RagaRocker said:

Henning Berg said it well I think. You didnt park the bus and you didnt have an aggressive press. You ended up in between and made it easy for Brann. They always had players available.

Yes, that's a good summation. 👍

26 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

In the cold light of day, I've been trying to work out whether Brann's dominance last night was simply down to them being a much better team than us, or us being poor by our own standards? I'm hoping it's the latter because if it's not, it doesn't bode well for next week.

I suspect the answer probably lies somewhere in between.

I think you’re right here. I think we are definitely still in it. The manager has pretty much said in interviews our formation is locked now. So it’s down to the player selection. 

Their defence was under no real pressure from Ayunga and Mandron outside of set pieces. Their defence knew they weren’t going to be beat in a sprint by either of them. It didn’t help that neither of them really could control any of the long balls. I wonder if that’s because there wasn’t really a Scott or Toyosi to get a through ball even if they did hold it up? So it will be interesting to see the top two next week.

5 minutes ago, zildjian said:

I think you’re right here. I think we are definitely still in it. The manager has pretty much said in interviews our formation is locked now. So it’s down to the player selection. 

Their defence was under no real pressure from Ayunga and Mandron outside of set pieces. Their defence knew they weren’t going to be beat in a sprint by either of them. It didn’t help that neither of them really could control any of the long balls. I wonder if that’s because there wasn’t really a Scott or Toyosi to get a through ball even if they did hold it up? So it will be interesting to see the top two next week.

Yeah, don’t think the balance of our midfield and attack was right. For all I like CBM, pace/pressing/stamina isn’t his game. adeniran would have been a better shout at the base, while Idowu had one of those nights.

Dont think Ayunga and Madron work as a pairing. Madron and Toy as the front pair right now.

based on one showing, I’d say Brann were somewhere between Hearts and Rangers in terms of comparison to Scotland. However, very much looking forward to the second leg! 

30 minutes ago, RagaRocker said:

Henning Berg said it well I think. You didnt park the bus and you didnt have an aggressive press. You ended up in between and made it easy for Brann. They always had players available.

A lot of truth in this.

I think perhaps the players were rattled (and a bit lost tactically) when it became evident what a good side we were up against. 

I think we'll set up in Brann as we would at Parkhead / Ibrox. 

Scott and Toyosi look the best pairing with what we have.

In the games so far this season we have been passing to strikers and passing into the box instead of hopeful high balls to no-one. This has been a huge improvement and successful. We din't do that last night.

Neither Mandron nor Ayunga can control a ball and one touch football is alien to them. Neither can they press. Scott and Olusanya look a far better combination.

Out of our front 4 options from what I've seen we can go with any combination except Ayunga and Mandron, they just don't seem to compliment each other in any way. 

19 minutes ago, thomas said:

Out of our front 4 options from what I've seen we can go with any combination except Ayunga and Mandron, they just don't seem to compliment each other in any way. 

If the plan was for two ‘big guys’ up front to hold it up and get support from midfield, it didn’t work. I hesitate to lump a ton of blame onto Ayunga & Mandron, because while they weren’t great, Iduwo for one, was even worse. His control, passing, everything really, was rank. 

If however, the plan was to keep Toyosi back to run at a more tiring defence, that did work. Maybe also because it is only our start of the season, and the games have been coming fast. Thursday, Sunday, Thursday, Sunday, Robbo thought he’d go with Ayunga & Mandron, with Toyosi & Scott as re-inforcements. There’s no way I’m down on our performance, we weren’t at our best, but by hook or by crook, we hung with a good side. We won’t get it right every time. 

Edited by pozbaird

It was obvious early on that the Mandron & Ayunga pairing up front wasn't working. I'm amazed that Robinson waited until 61 minutes to introduce Plan B.

Edited by Wilbur

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It was obvious early on that the Mandron & Ayunga pairing up front wasn't working. I'm amazed that Robinson waited until 61 minutes to introduce Plan B.

It was frustrating, I agree. But on the flip side, it's a tie played over two legs. Despite playing Ayunga and Mandron together clearly not working, I think SR had an eye on the bigger pucture rather than just focusing on last night.

That said, please never force me to watch a strike pairing of Mandron and Ayunga again. It was so slow and plodding and both lost the aerial battle almost every single time. Both are good strikers, just not suited to playing together.

For me, we have to go Olusanya and one other at all times when Olusanya is available.

Interesting clicking on the very first page, and post of this thread. Very interesting to look back from a position of European fitba’, two Top 6 finishes, and a pretty strong squad.

Back on Page 1, it was all about ‘let’s get to 1000 season ticket sales and get away fans out of W7.’ 

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Interesting clicking on the very first page, and post of this thread. Very interesting to look back from a position of European fitba’, two Top 6 finishes, and a pretty strong squad.

Back on Page 1, it was all about ‘let’s get to 1000 season ticket sales and get away fans out of W7.’ 

Its a great time to be a buddie. 

Even though we were not at our best last night, The sheer fact we are where we are as a club is truly amazing and i for one hope it continues to bring more young fans to the games

8 minutes ago, NorfBank said:

Its a great time to be a buddie. 

Even though we were not at our best last night, The sheer fact we are where we are as a club is truly amazing and i for one hope it continues to bring more young fans to the games

Shows how far we’ve come when the moaning faced kunt near me is bleating that we aren’t wiping the floor in Europe with the team who finished 2nd in Norway last season, rather than we’re not wiping the floor with Brechin City in the Bells B&Q Petrofac Irn Bru Communities Diddy Cup.

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Suggestion here we might be in a spot of bother due to the amount of bookings last night: https://news.stv.tv/sport/st-mirren-get-olusanya-all-clear-but-could-face-uefa-charge

After getting our goalie and manager booked, just needed a yellow card for an unused sub for a weird hat-trick.

Slap on the wrist and we promise to behave against Astana. 😎

1 minute ago, Buddie Holly said:

maybe a decent ref would have helped

Talking of decent refs , I see Grant Irvine is the man in the middle on Sunday , having previously refereed our recent 3-1 and 3-0 victories up there !