The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

48 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Will this still break Motherwell fans on Twitter or are they happier now he's a bit shit?

As @Busta Nut says I'd imagine the usual suspects will still be triggered because that's their default setting but I'd be surprised if you saw the same sort of intense reaction.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

By all accounts his attitude at Killie was dreadful but there might be reasons behind that I suppose.

Tbh, this is kind of why I find Robinson's interest in him quite amusing in so much as he's very much the opposite of the type of player he seems to like.

By all accounts KVV was *difficult* to manage at Fir Park, not in a disruptive way just in a very Dutch way. I think Kettlewell pretty much said that while they had a good relationship and he clearly got the best out of him it took a fair bit of effort to "manage" him.

I've mentioned it before but while he was a very good Motherwell manager Robinson generally struggled to get his strikers scoring goals. The most pointed example of that was probably Devante Cole who turned into a 1 in 2 goalscorer as soon as Robinson was out the door (Cole scored 5 goals in 30 playing for Robinson and 11 in 21 for Alexander).

I'd actually be curious to see how Robinson would get on with someone like KVV given he launched Ross McCormack out the door after 4 games.

13 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

In the article by Scott Burns about signing Philips, it says that if we further strengthen the squad then Young players will be going out on loan. 
I hope this doesn’t include young Sutherland & Fraser Taylor who deserve to be in the first team squad.

I think there's a few candidates for the exit door , I heard Ayunga (and his partner) was looking to move back to England , Jamieson hasn't done it and I think he's in his final year , may look to move him out. Elvis is looking for more game time !

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'd actually be curious to see how Robinson would get on with someone like KVV given he launched Ross McCormack out the door after 4 games.

We're definitely in a shallow pool here,  but given the outlay that we'd likely be spending on KVV, I'd. much rather see the money being spent on someone younger, faster and positionally wider even playing a division below us.

Just now, billyg said:

I think there's a few candidates for the exit door , I heard Ayunga (and his partner) was looking to move back to England , Jamieson hasn't done it and I think he's in his final year , may look to move him out. Elvis is looking for more game time !

Ayunga when he first arrived looked like a real asset, though when post injury, he has struggled to find form and the pace he had beforehand. I think we would need to replace with a like for like if he were to leave.

Jamieson I feel for. It's extremely difficult for an academy player to make the breakthrough up top and with limited chances, it's most likely he may be sold or put out on loan again as he can not really be categorised under the 'prospect' label.

Elvis, understandable if he is frustrated, as he was brought in as understudy to Strain with view to taking the position this season, though Rooney is a much better option.

For young players possibly moving out on loan, I wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Luke Kenny, Gallagher Lennon and possibly one or two more sent out. Fraser Taylor I think is worth his chance staying at the club and if we want to hold on to Ethan Sutherland he needs more exposure in our first team.

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Seriously, good on St. Johnstone and I hope they get that for him. He was probably pretty low outlay and low risk financially but given the state you were in on the park back in January, a definite gamble and he's looked more than the part.

A 5 figure fee to buy him apparently. 

Leveins done a great job signings wise tbh, Essel is the jewel who could break our transfer record eventually, dependent on how long he stays/if he has a release clause too.

Van Veen is a vibes player FWIW. I wouldn't look at his numbers etc., as you'll enjoy him regardless. Him and Rooney in the same team will have every opposing support a frothing mess.

4 minutes ago, billyg said:

Elvis knew what his role would be when he signed up, I doubt he’s even close to looking for the exit door.

Ayunga and Jamieson are two I wouldn’t be fussed to see leave. Jonah started off really well but the injury looks to have taken a lot out of him which is a shame. As for Jamieson - he won’t be a miss at all. He’s definitely got ability but needs to drop down a level and play every week.

10 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Elvis knew what his role would be when he signed up, I doubt he’s even close to looking for the exit door.

Ayunga and Jamieson are two I wouldn’t be fussed to see leave. Jonah started off really well but the injury looks to have taken a lot out of him which is a shame. As for Jamieson - he won’t be a miss at all. He’s definitely got ability but needs to drop down a level and play every week.

If you're LJ, surely you're looking at a decent club in the Championship as the best possible move. He could absolutely do a job at Falkirk/Thistle/Raith/Dunfermline/Ayr. I doubt we'd be difficult to deal with.

Or we offer Falkirk £200k + LJ for Morrison...

I'm kinda going against the flow here but I reckon our first team squad is large enough.  At present we are struggling because of a spike in injuries to important players, and in addition our players have endured a punishing schedule of 2 games a week for 4 straight weeks very early in the season.

Those out injured should return soon. If we add more players to the squad now (and inevitably to the £££ budget, even if we loan out some fringe players) we are liable to be top heavy with players we can't offload until after Christmas. That's a shitload of unhappy players who won't even make the bench.

Be careful what you wish for IMO.

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I'm kinda going against the flow here but I reckon our first team squad is large enough.  At present we are struggling because of a spike in injuries to important players, and in addition our players have endured a punishing schedule of 2 games a week for 4 straight weeks very early in the season.

Those out injured should return soon. If we add more players to the squad now (and inevitably to the £££ budget, even if we loan out some fringe players) we are liable to be top heavy with players we can't offload until after Christmas. That's a shitload of unhappy players who won't even make the bench.

I think Kiltie and McMenamin are out for about 2 more months.

O'Hara has been struggling with the same injury since last season and seems to be struggling to shake it off.

With Kiltie and McMenamin out until at least October and then they'll need another month or two to get up to speed, you're looking at the turn of the year before they're properly back playing.

We need reinforcement until January at lest I think.

5 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I think Kiltie and McMenamin are out for about 2 more months.

O'Hara has been struggling with the same injury since last season and seems to be struggling to shake it off.

With Kiltie and McMenamin out until at least October and then they'll need another month or two to get up to speed, you're looking at the turn of the year before they're properly back playing.

We need reinforcement until January at lest I think.

Kiltie and McMenamin are due back around the first international break according to the managers update a few weeks ago.

50 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It's part of the parcel unfortunately.

With the numbers that are injured, loan moves inbound may be more beneficial for us to clear up injuries till the next window, though you also have to brace yourself for any bids coming in for our players too. It had already been rumoured the like of CBM and Sutherland were subject to bids, so you just never know how the next couple of weeks will play out.

Edited by smellthepaw

Re Killian Phillips, don't know if I've got the right guy, but is he the tall blond fella that was at Aberdeen last season and looked meh at best and shite at worst?

I obviously didn't see that much of him, but what I did, I was pretty6 unimpressed.

31 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Re Killian Phillips, don't know if I've got the right guy, but is he the tall blond fella that was at Aberdeen last season and looked meh at best and shite at worst?

I obviously didn't see that much of him, but what I did, I was pretty6 unimpressed.

Shite is harsh.

He had very little technical ability but you couldn't accuse him of not earning a wage.

32 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I'd trust the manager, coaches and scouts during this process. We haven't got many wrong so far since Robinson came in.

31 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Quick shortlist of our current squad members who were actually considered to be decent at their former clubs:

McMenamin 

Iacovitti 

Rooney

Kiltie

Taylor

2 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Shite is harsh.

He had very little technical ability but you couldn't accuse him of not earning a wage.

Fair dos mate. Good to get the view of an Aberdeen fan.

Like I said, my sample size was pretty small. It was just any time I saw him he looked in the big diddy/big lummox category.

15 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Fair dos mate. Good to get the view of an Aberdeen fan.

Like I said, my sample size was pretty small. It was just any time I saw him he looked in the big diddy/big lummox category.

Opposition fans think he's shite so this will probably go down like a lead balloon..

I'd compare to Shinnie if he was a foot taller but with less ability 😂

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I mean he played in Barry Robson and Neil Warnock Aberdeen teams last season. Hard to look decent amongst that shite.