The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

4 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Can’t help thinking Simon Murray would have been a cheaper, safer, more reliable shout. Did we try to sign him and he knocked us back?

Murray is a Dundee lad and only wanted to move to Dundee as well as family reasons.

KVV is a good signing. I trust Robinson to get a tune out of him.

I can't think of another proven goal scorer that we could or should have brought in as an alternative.

I have a feeling he'll enjoy his time at Saints and will do the business for us.

My main concern with KVV is a fall-out at some point with SR! Both strong personalities. We seem to have a fun dressing room though and, coupled with the fact that he'll be back with his family, hopefully he'll be happy.

In terms of fitness, well there's 35 league games to go. Plenty of time for him to get up to speed and firing on all cylinders. 

28 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Can’t help thinking Simon Murray would have been a cheaper, safer, more reliable shout. Did we try to sign him and he knocked us back?

Dundee paid 6 figures for him and presumably a very good wage to take him away from County - reckon it’s probably similar in terms of spend.

39 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

He got a 3 yr deal out of Dundee. At his age, that is a big risk by them. 

The fact SR is still tracking him after losing out on him in January suggests that he hasn’t found a better option in that time. I would assume we are always on the lookout for options in Ll positions, and as we have discussed before it is extremely difficult to find proven goalscorers at our level. 

in sure SR is better educated on his personality than any of us as well so will hardly be going into this with his eyes closed, especially after courting him for next part of 9-12 months!

1 minute ago, geo87 said:

The fact SR is still tracking him after losing out on him in January suggests that he hasn’t found a better option in that time. I would assume we are always on the lookout for options in Ll positions, and as we have discussed before it is extremely difficult to find proven goalscorers at our level. 

in sure SR is better educated on his personality than any of us as well so will hardly be going into this with his eyes closed, especially after courting him for next part of 9-12 months!

It's probably worth remembering that Lasley worked with Van Veen with us so you'd think there's a decent chance he's had some sort of input although I'd say it could go either way as to whether Robinson ends up getting the best out of him.

Absolutely no idea if the van Veen deal will work out. He might have scored a barrel load with Motherwell, but in a loose comparison Curtis Main scored a barrel load for us and has hardly hit a cows arse with banjo with Dundee.

What I will say is that it was clear that we needed something. We didn't become a bad team overnight, and we have quality all over the park, but it was not working for whatever the reason. Robinson has at least acted. Whether it works.. *shrug* ..but this is at least a throw of the dice, he could have held back and waiting to see if things would work themselves out on the pitch, but he didn't.. and that should be applauded.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

Absolutely no idea if the van Veen deal will work out. He might have scored a barrel load with Motherwell, but in a loose comparison Curtis Main scored a barrel load for us and has hardly hit a cows arse with banjo with Dundee.

What I will say is that it was clear that we needed something. We didn't become a bad team overnight, and we have quality all over the park, but it was not working for whatever the reason. Robinson has at least acted. Whether it works.. *shrug* ..but this is at least a throw of the dice, he could have held back and waiting to see if things would work themselves out on the pitch, but he didn't.. and that should be applauded.

That is very loose.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Eh? I must’ve missed Main scoring a barrowload for us. 🤣🤣

Meh.. ok, not barrowload, perhaps I should have said he was a completely different player in the stripes than his is in the dark blue of Dundee.

32 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Delighted with the KVV signing. Hope he can contribute to a successful season. 

What pleases me more is keeping Richard Taylor, MOH etc. 

Could have been a difficult window for us. 

McCowan away from Dee is a bonus too.

A few wins and our confidence will grow again as we rise up the in league table.

13 minutes ago, Kneal Down Caster said:

Yip. He has hair now ….

I saw that!

I mean we're discussing him now, as we are an ex-team and that he's not scoring with you, it is a signal to the "gods of football" for him to play a blinder.