The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

20 minutes ago, Div said:

It's a massive blow to have both unavailable, especially tomorrow against a team that thrive on aerial service into the box.

I’m clinging on to the fact that they have only scored one goal in the league (so far 🤞), and that was from the penalty spot. Time we had a break against Del boy’s team!

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Dunne until January will have to do. I'd imagine Fraser will probably move back over there as first choice in the time being.

We could move Bolton's replacement in place of Fraser when he moves to the left.................<_<

“Alex is going to be out until round about Christmas time with a tendon injury. That’s disappointing. We’ve also got Richard Taylor struggling a little bit with a hernia, which is an ongoing thing from last season. It’s only a matter of time before he needs the operation. So there’s a bit of a concern in that left-sided centre-half position.”

The manager noted that Shaun Rooney, Elvis Bwomono and Scott Tanser could all shift into the centre of defence if needed but also admitted he may look for a free agent on a short term deal. Charles Dunne, who came to the end of his contract in the summer is still training with St Mirren but his preference is to find a club abroad. Robinson did have better news on the attacking front with Greg Kiltie back in training and after striker Kevin van Veen was signed at the end of the transfer window.

“Kevin’s excellent. Sometimes people get pictures painted of them and until you get up close and work with them [you don’t know them]. He’s fitted in really well. He’s open to everything and wants to work and he acknowledges he is maybe three to four weeks behind in terms of fitness. But there’s no denying his quality. He’s been at this level and proved that he’s very, very effective and he’s shown in training some of his quality and class. He’s embraced everything we’ve done, raised the mood and I believe he’s raised the standard of the other strikers."

I’d imagine we’ll see Taylor playing until he definitely needs the operation to fix the hernia issue. I’m not against Dunne coming in short term either - he knows the set up, how we play and been a better player than fans give him credit for over the years.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

Is there no emergency loan option? Did we not sign Jamie McCart on an emergency loan the year we won the Championship?

Teams below the Premiership are allowed to loan players from a higher level until the end of September. 

1 hour ago, SS77 said:

I get that but not every sports hernia requires surgery.

True, but Robbo saying it’s only a matter of time before he needs the operation suggests that earlier intervention might have avoided this scenario. Some players, such as Graeme Sharp, play with a hernia for months or years, but maybe they are not willing to operate unless/until it gets worse? NHS certainly won’t prioritise this op. Here’s hoping he’s not in too much discomfort and can concentrate on his football.

5 minutes ago, Kempes said:

True, but Robbo saying it’s only a matter of time before he needs the operation suggests that earlier intervention might have avoided this scenario. Some players, such as Graeme Sharp, play with a hernia for months or years, but maybe they are not willing to operate unless/until it gets worse? NHS certainly won’t prioritise this op. Here’s hoping he’s not in too much discomfort and can concentrate on his football.

NHS won't prioritise it but our players and club will have private medical insurance. Rosshall would treat him more or less straight away. 

13 minutes ago, AW saint said:

NHS won't prioritise it but our players and club will have private medical insurance. Rosshall would treat him more or less straight away. 

I’m aware that we will have private health insurance in place, question is,  how did we end up in this situation?

I’m about to get a hernia myself just reading about the seemingly never-ending list of players who are/were out injured, not fully fit, not up to speed yet, needing game time, needing an operation, being sent out on loan, still training with us, and might be coming back in an emergency. Christ, the season hasn’t been going that long. Would be easier to list the players who are fully fit, available, and don’t need another 4-6 weeks for anything.

Edited by pozbaird

48 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I’m about to get a hernia myself just reading about the seemingly never-ending list of players who are/were out injured, not fully fit, not up to speed yet, needing game time, needing an operation, being sent out on loan, still training with us, and might be coming back in an emergency. Christ, the season hasn’t been going that long. Would be easier to list the players who are fully fit, available, and don’t need another 4-6 weeks for anything.

Mentioned this a couple of weeks ago.

The majority of players we've signed have not played at first team level for significant periods of time because they were deemed not good enough to start for their former clubs and/or they've been side lined by injuries, some of which seem to be recurrent.

Factor that in with the likes of O'Hara, CBM, Kiltie and McMenamin, who have been in and out of the side due to injury, it makes it very difficult to get a settled side, particularly in the midfield area.

However, that seems to be the risk when signing "project" players and on occasion like Olusanya they work out in the end.

Today showed us where this team is at. We are slow, we can't defend set pieces and Ayunga and Scott are just not good enough. 

Killie on balance were the hungrier and more attacking side. 

Their corners killed us all game. 

Taylor had a mare of a 2nd half and was rightly hooked. 

MOH, Rooney and Toyosi only real pass marks