The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

16 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

If football exists as a form of entertainment then yesterday definitely delivered. 

Olusanya: 5 goals in 10 games this season (10 in his last 21). Hopefully, there will be a 2 year deal on the table for him very soon. Also, Phillips? Hopefully not another lengthy injury for us....

Still very difficult to work out what the season will look like, but it was always going to be difficult to finish 6th or 5th again. Killie's team yesterday was pretty much the same as the one which finished 4th whereas we've had a bit more churn. Saying that, the squad does look strong so I'm sure we'll have more good "moments" (as they say) to add to the Hibs' gubbing and European games. Hopefully, we can ,yet again, avoid a relegation battle.

Phillips was ill whilst away with Ireland U-21's during the week apparently.

20 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

If football exists as a form of entertainment then yesterday definitely delivered. 

Olusanya: 5 goals in 10 games this season (10 in his last 21). Hopefully, there will be a 2 year deal on the table for him very soon. Also, Phillips? Hopefully not another lengthy injury for us....

Still very difficult to work out what the season will look like, but it was always going to be difficult to finish 6th or 5th again. Killie's team yesterday was pretty much the same as the one which finished 4th whereas we've had a bit more churn. Saying that, the squad does look strong so I'm sure we'll have more good "moments" (as they say) to add to the Hibs' gubbing and European games. Hopefully, we can ,yet again, avoid a relegation battle.

Phillips was ill whilst away with Irish u21's so at least it's not an injury. 

We absolutely must get Toyosi on a new deal. 

16 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Phillips was ill whilst away with Irish u21's so at least it's not an injury. 

We absolutely must get Toyosi on a new deal. 

For all the hype that Siddebh has been getting with the Johnnies, I can’t see why anyone would rate him higher than Toyosi. 

Said it a few weeks ago, but the perseverance with Ayunga is a big issue.

20 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

For all the hype that Siddebh has been getting with the Johnnies, I can’t see why anyone would rate him higher than Toyosi. 

Said it a few weeks ago, but the perseverance with Ayunga is a big issue.

It’s sad to see Ayunga struggle since he recovered from that serious injury. The management seem to have faith in him but he looks a shell of the player he was before injury.

Van Veen is not match fit so our options are limited while the young guys are out on loan.

Ayunga is a shadow of the player he was and Scott’s first touch is horrendous. The second half the ball wouldn’t stick up top and it was straight back putting us under pressure again. I’ve hoped and hoped it would turn around for Scott but I’m not seeing it. As for Jonah? He has to be dropped from the squad. He is now a liability. I’m not a boo boy by any means but we will never do anything with those two partnering up front. 

21 minutes ago, Marko van Haddock said:

Ayunga is a shadow of the player he was and Scott’s first touch is horrendous. The second half the ball wouldn’t stick up top and it was straight back putting us under pressure again. I’ve hoped and hoped it would turn around for Scott but I’m not seeing it. As for Jonah? He has to be dropped from the squad. He is now a liability. I’m not a boo boy by any means but we will never do anything with those two partnering up front. 

Prior to his injury, one of Ayunga's strengths was gathering the ball, turning his marker and powering towards goal.

Yesterday was the first time he's done that since he came back. Unfortunately he was fouled after he escaped his marker.

At least he's broken his duck for the season..................................

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Words need to be had with Taylor. Trying Cruyff Turns and stepovers when you're the last defender is crazy.

The positive aspects of his game have came on really well (pace, tackling, bringing the ball forward), he just needs  to cut out the casual stuff.

Possibly one of the players that Robinson's messages aren't getting through to.

13 hours ago, FTOF said:

As much as it was amusing to see Rooney getting away with murder and ultimately contributing to Wright's sending off, I think one message has to be to Rooney to calm the fuck down.

Particularly next week against Hearts who have a plethora of diving, cheating little weasels in their team.

4 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

It’s sad to see Ayunga struggle since he recovered from that serious injury. The management seem to have faith in him but he looks a shell of the player he was before injury.

Van Veen is not match fit so our options are limited while the young guys are out on loan.

Read Mr Sheen was four weeks short of fitness which I don't doubt . Yesterday he chased a ball from the half way line like a bat out of hell he certainly has pace . 

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

Prior to his injury, one of Ayunga's strengths was gathering the ball, turning his marker and powering towards goal.

Yesterday was the first time he's done that since he came back. Unfortunately he was fouled after he escaped his marker.

At least he's broken his duck for the season..................................

Yeah, he’s just putting his head down and running blindly into the opposition, or trying a ridiculous shot. I’d love it to come together for him, but there’s zero evidence so far. it’s not like he’s just back from injury, been 10 months and a full pre season now.

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Watching the Newcastle game. Seeing as our original strip was red and blue hoops, I'd like our change strip to reflect that and be akin to what Newcastle are wearing now.

With a subtle Paisley Pattern through it of course.

Watching Newcastle as well. Made me think if we need a left sided centre half ,Paul Dummet is without a club I think and he could be well suited to that role. Presumably Taylor has to get his op sooner rather than later.

4 hours ago, Marko van Haddock said:

I would put Ayunga out on loan in the championship let him find his confidence which I'm sure he would. Could still train with us. 

6 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Is being great in a good team a sign of a better player than being great in a dogshit side?

41 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is being great in a good team a sign of a better player than being great in a dogshit side?

Get the graphs oot! Genuinely, would be interested to see, although not the biggest sample size yet, perhaps? 

Lots of factors injuries, forced subs, still not picking up guys on the edge of our box etc. But losing 2 points from a winning position playing 10 men for about 50 minutes feels rotten.

Need whoever plays to up their personal game... only about 3 players played well yesterday.

A couple of wins needed to move us up the table and get that mentality going again.

Hearts next, could go either way.