The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

St Mirren have done really well dealing with Rooney, its your fans who are on here almost weekly now getting frustrated hes not playing that I'm questioning.

Your clubs statement on it says he admitted he was involved in the incident that the police have clarified was an assault on a woman and a "hate crime" against an 18yo male.

Just because its your club involved doesn't mean you have to pretend its all good.

This is going to sound like I'm defending him or doing the sort of verbal gymnastics a politician would be proud of, but Rooney admitting to the club there was an incident (presumably a week after it happened or he'd have been suspended sooner) does not mean he admits the police/PF's version of that incident. We've no idea what he has claimed to the club happened and how close that is to the truth (or how close the charge is to the truth for that matter).

I am not clamouring to have him in the team, even though we could do with him, and have no issue with him being suspended. I presume that's what would happen in most jobs (thankfully it's never happened in my workplace, with myself or anyone I work with!). If he's found guilty of or admits what he's charged with he should be out the door - but until then, innocent until proven (or pleads) guilty.

Edited by Stu

15 hours ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

As soon as the news came out that he was arrested for an assault on a woman, I think the majority of St Mirren supporters would have had no issue with the club binning him off straightaway. 

Not sure if the alleged victim’s gender is relevant.  I think the nature of the assault is more important. 

22 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm just saying if someone like Rooney admits he's been involved in an assault on a female on a night out in a shop that has CCTV, that's led to him being charged by the police and suspended from his job, then it's probably best not to moan he's not playing because you're not getting results.

When did he admit that he was involved in an assault?

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

When did he admit that he was involved in an assault?

I think people have been confused on this point by the wording of the early reports.

He told the club he'd been arrested. That's the part he 'admitted' to. He's since been charged, obvs. But people thought he'd effectively pled guilty already, which clearly isn't the case.

13 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Not sure if the alleged victim’s gender is relevant.  I think the nature of the assault is more important. 

Yes, the nature of the assault is more important then the gender of the victim but that doesn't mean the gender is irrelevant.

Edited by hk blues

RandomGuy coming on here when the is absolutely no drama and no clamour for Rooney and stirring shit up, only to look a fool in doing so by comparing his crime to a literal f**king rapist is so unhinged...great viewing.

Rooney admitted involvement and arrest in an incident. Not his culpability in the incident. There's a clear distinction that football fan or not, must always be made.

You can tell there’s an international break. I’m reluctant to wade in because I’d rather we just don’t chat about Rooney, and this whole subject seems to make folk defensive. I’d like to think people are better than this chat about “but there’s ‘assault’ and ASSAULT”.

None of us know what exactly what he was arrested for. But if I was a 28-year-old professional footballer who was out drinking in the city centre, standing in the chippie in the wee hours of the morning and then getting arrested, I’d question whether this is the direction I’d like my life to be going in. I hope Rooney grows up, but let’s face it, he’s nearly 30 and if he hasn’t done that by now, who knows if he ever will.

I think of all the players who are trying their best to look after themselves so that they’re fit to play for the club and to extend their playing career for as long as they can, the ones who are studying part-time and those learning a trade, the part-time teams where folk work and go to training sessions in the evenings. Then I think that I’m not bothered at all if someone getting arrested in the Blue Lagoon doesn’t play for St Mirren again.

On a more positive note, I do think we’ve got a fairly sensible board, and I’m reassured that we’ve got access to the HR resources at Kibble. I’m hopeful that whatever happens, we’ll deal with it well.

The way I see it, the longer this goes on and Rooney doesn't plead guilty the more likely some sort of impasse will be reached.

I could be wrong, but I doubt Rooney will be happy to sit back and collect his wages without playing, as this situation could run and run until the court case eventually is heard.

Rightly or wrongly, depending on your POV, If the club don't want to lift his suspension as they don't want to be seen to play someone who could potentially be found guilty, then Rooney won't be setting foot on a football pitch for us.

Maybe David Winnie's services will be called upon sooner than expected and some sort of mutual consent release will be brokered.

From Rooney's POV, at least that would allow him to look for another club somewhere. I know he wouldn't be able to sign for most clubs until the January window, but he might see it as a risk worth taking.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

The way I see it, the longer this goes on and Rooney doesn't plead guilty the more likely some sort of impasse will be reached.

I could be wrong, but I doubt Rooney will be happy to sit back and collect his wages without playing, as this situation could run and run until the court case eventually is heard.

Rightly or wrongly, depending on your POV, If the club don't want to lift his suspension as they don't want to be seen to play someone who could potentially be found guilty, then Rooney won't be setting foot on a football pitch for us.

Maybe David Winnie's services will be called upon sooner than expected and some sort of mutual consent release will be brokered.

From Rooney's POV, at least that would allow him to look for another club somewhere. I know he wouldn't be able to sign for most clubs until the January window, but he might see it as a risk worth taking.

I think your correct . If he's still involved with the tennis lassie , can see him at going on loan to Aldershot or Woking.  That said I would still prefer to see him play again for us this season .

It is clear he has been told to stay away from the squad. Those not on international duty were at a team meal. Apart from the manager, Rooney was also absent. Even our loan boys such as Taylor and Lennon were there. 

I can see there being a parting of the ways the longer this goes on. 

Regarding the Rooney assault issue and his time away from the club - it might all come out in the wash that it wasn’t as bad an incident as it sounds so far. I think (with zero facts) that if he had maybe potentially committed an assault against a male and was awaiting a court case he would still be playing.

My guess would be that as it’s a female involved the club just don’t want to take any chances especially as they have their womens team etc. Whether it’s for PR reasons or whatever they probably don’t want it to come out that they’ve continued to play Rooney when he’s committed whatever offence against a woman which will come out in court. He might’ve told them that it was a nothing incident and they’ve just decided not to take the chance.

Of course the incident may have been very very serious and he’s possibly told them how bad it was and they’ve just went f**k that however until it comes out we won’t know.

I think St Mirren have done a great job as a club over the last few years and they have likely taken the safe option regarding this scenario so they don’t ruin some of that in terms of how they are viewed by their own fans and the wider public.

From the latest SMISA meeting:

The Academy has 8 FT and 25 PT staff members.

4173 season tickets sold.

Taking into account bonuses and costs involved in participating, club made £400,000 from Europe.

The club has £1,800,000 in the bank.

SMISA has £347,000 in the bank (plus £80K loan to be repaid by SMFC).

43 seats will be added to the West Stand to take the stadium capacity to 8000 (this would have been a requirement for Conference League group stage).

Investigating segregation of North Stand for clubs with small travelling supports. Requires an extra turnstile being installed.

40 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Taking into account bonuses and costs involved in participating, club made £400,000 from Europe.

43 seats will be added to the West Stand to take the stadium capacity to 8000 (this would have been a requirement for Conference League group stage).

Investigating segregation of North Stand for clubs with small travelling supports. Requires an extra turnstile being installed.

Yip it was a very positive update.

6 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Another Kibble disaster!