The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Games been played by Fry and his agent for me. Fry has already stated we offered him a 3 year contract which we don’t do, it would be 2. I like him but with the midfield we have which is probably the strongest outside the old firm I would not be paying 50k to see him sitting on the bench. As above I would rather we spent that on the forward line.

20 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Games been played by Fry and his agent for me. Fry has already stated we offered him a 3 year contract which we don’t do, it would be 2. I like him but with the midfield we have which is probably the strongest outside the old firm I would not be paying 50k to see him sitting on the bench. As above I would rather we spent that on the forward line.

Perhaps you've gone cold on the deal then and Fry is trying to force something through. I'd like to see it happen, but I don't believe for a second that Barry Fry is dropping exclusives about Saints signings now.

17 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Perhaps you've gone cold on the deal then and Fry is trying to force something through. I'd like to see it happen, but I don't believe for a second that Barry Fry is dropping exclusives about Saints signings now.

I think its 50/50. He's not just picked our name out the air, if he was 100% bullshitting he'd have been vague (another club has bid, etc) but for whatever reason he also seemingly is trying to force Motherwell's hand. 

Seems as well that going by Motherwell fans reaction, it's another situation like Tait in that their fans would be happy to see him at the club but also acknowledge that whilst he'd strengthen their squad, he'd strengthen our first XI. 

Either way, I'm happy with the calibre of player we're looking in the market for. This time last season we had Louis Longridge and a coach full of released French 3rd division players on trial (one of whom, the worst one as well, ended up signing for Newcastle). 

Edited by djchapsticks

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I think its 50/50. He's not just picked our name out the air, if he was 100% bullshitting he'd have been vague (another club has bid, etc) but for whatever reason he also seemingly is trying to force Motherwell's hand. 

Seems as well that going by Motherwell fans reaction, it's another situation like Tait in that their fans would be happy to see him at the club but also acknowledge that whilst he'd strengthen their squad, he'd strengthen our first XI. 

Either way, I'm happy with the calibre of player we're looking in the market for. This time last season we had Louis Longridge and a coach full of released French 3rd division players on trial (one of whom, the worst one as well, ended up signing for Newcastle). 

Yes pretty much so, he’s a good player and in my opinion would be a good signing for you if it panned out. You probably remember him scoring the cup goal at your place.

49 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Tbh, if we're paying a fee I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 3 year deal.

Off the top of my head Moult and Carson were players we paid fees for and both were 3 year contracts.

Agree with the general point though.

Edited by capt_oats

29 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, if we're paying a fee I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 3 year deal.

Off the top of my head Moult and Carson were players we paid fees for and both were 3 year contracts.

Agree with the general point though.

Fair enough I did not realise that, is he worth a 3 year deal though ? not in my view. But then I would not pay 50k for him.

On 18/06/2020 at 23:16, djchapsticks said:

Would like that to be true but you'd think he'd have clubs higher up league than us sniffing about.

He's said he's away down south apparently. He left us because he wanted to get one of the last big moves in his career. Really doubt he meant St Mirren by that

1 hour ago, DanElderRRFC said:

The most mental 4 minutes of football I've experienced. To go 1-0 down with 4 minutes left was a ducker punch and a half. 

We were still celebrating the equaliser when Junior rattled in the winner. One of my mates gave another a black eye in the mass of limbs. 

6 hours ago, Yorky said:

Fair enough I did not realise that, is he worth a 3 year deal though ? not in my view. But then I would not pay 50k for him.

Your opinion of course 

Mine is that he is a very good player that gives 100%. He may not get into out midfield right now, but then we do have Turnbull, Campbell, Polworth and Donnelly. If one or more of those 4 leave then I would be chuffed if O’Hara replaced them. 

I wonder if when we were talking back then an offer was made based Turnbull not  re-signing. 

I think missing out on him would be a big mistake. 

Edited by welldaft

38 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I wonder if when we were taking back then an offer was made based Turnbull not  re-signing. 

Turnbull's extension was announced March 11th

Robinson confirmed we'd been speaking to Peterborough and were hopeful of doing a deal 17th April (13:30 mins here). Fry indicated we'd agreed a deal 'in principle' April 15th.

So probably not.

I'd imagine we'd have made a decision in May when Robinson sat down with the board to work out the budget. O'Hara said himself that “It is not doable at the moment but I hope there’s still a chance that it will happen."

That suggests to me it's something we'd be likely to re-visit further down the line once we've seen how the re-start pans out and also the squad shapes up - which is probably why Fry's been flying a kite in the press as they're desperate to get shot of him.

As this has come out of left field a little, although to be fair I thought the Tait signing came a little out of left field too, were those two quite chummy last season? Not wishing to offer up a lazy correlation, but could Tait's move have had an influence on O'Hara's possible destination?

Of course, it could be that Fry saw Tait going to us and is using us as easy leverage.

I've not seen anyone claiming we haven't been in for him mind, which you might expect if there was absolutely nothing in it.

Or maybe St Mirren recognise he is is a good player and have realised him coming to Motherwell is not as much of a done deal as many 1st thought. 

I rated him highly before he even joined on loan. He always performed well against us any time I saw him play. 

Once he got up to speed and in the last few games I am sure he won at least one MOM award. 

He would be a very decent signing for pretty much any SPFL club outside of the Old firm imho. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Or maybe St Mirren recognise he is is a good player and have realised him coming to Motherwell is not as much of a done deal as many 1st thought.

Could be, I don't think that anyone is disagreeing that (a) he's a decent player and that (b) he'd improve our current squad, I was more just wondering if the two of them were close at Motherwell.

27 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Good wee interview with Richard Tait on Sportsound there. Said he had signed a new contract with Well then they wanted to renege on the deal so he walked away.

Yes just been posted on our forum. If 100% the case I’m pretty disappointed because as a club we seem to treat players well. I think Hartley said we had agreed a new contract with him before Covid hit and that was then taken off the table. Ok we are living in unprecedented times and it’s tough for every club but when a contract is signed you need to honour it and of course Motherwell would have had to do that. Tait could have just refused and played on but I guess he felt he was no longer valued. Real shame because he was well liked by the fans and hopefully it’s not soured his feelings for the club. 

2 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Yes just been posted on our forum. If 100% the case I’m pretty disappointed because as a club we seem to treat players well. I think Hartley said we had agreed a new contract with him before Covid hit and that was then taken off the table. Ok we are living in unprecedented times and it’s tough for every club but when a contract is signed you need to honour it and of course Motherwell would have had to do that. Tait could have just refused and played on but I guess he felt he was no longer valued. Real shame because he was well liked by the fans and hopefully it’s not soured his feelings for the club. 

That's not a huge surprise tbh.

A bit shite from our POV as Tait was/is a popular player and we've got the whole "do the right thing" policy but Robinson did an interview back in May where he suggested that we may have to review the offers we'd made as our budget was changing.

“Boys we have offered contracts to, we are still hoping to fulfil them,” he said. “It may be at a lower rate of pay.

“I haven’t got the budget yet but it’s going to be impacted, make no mistake."

Link

As you say Hartley was another one who had an offer but ended up released.

“I was initially offered a contract but the longer this went on the more difficult a situation the club was in. It was one of those things where there was no longer a deal on the table for me."

Link

Edited by capt_oats

19 minutes ago, Yorky said:

He seemed pissed off at certain individuals but not at the club per se.

Maybe a similar situation with O'Hara as in being offered a contract then Well changing their mind?

Edited by NorthBank

Alnwick would be probably as good a replacement for Hladky as we could realistically hope for in terms of boxes ticked.

Good age at 27, plenty of first team football under his belt, 150 games at English league one level.

Much better than the prospect of someone like Jamie McDonald rocking up and leaving you in despair.