The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I feel that surely the best thing is for Carson to remain - they are both men who have been close for years at Motherwell, Morecambe and Saints - indeed Carson was first to extend. Please make this not be true as for me Carson is the best goalie we’ve had in the last few years and that says something considering how good Hdladky and Alnwick were

10 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

I feel that surely the best thing is for Carson to remain - they are both men who have been close for years at Motherwell, Morecambe and Saints - indeed Carson was first to extend. Please make this not be true as for me Carson is the best goalie we’ve had in the last few years and that says something considering how good Hdladky and Alnwick were

He's a good keeper, a very good keeper.

As good as Hladky and Alnwick? I wouldn't say so. They are top 2 in last 30 years at the club for me and we've been lucky to have more good keepers than bad ones down the years.

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

As good as Hladky and Alnwick? I wouldn't say so. They are top 2 in last 30 years at the club for me and we've been lucky to have more good keepers than bad ones down the years.

I think he’s better mate - look at his performances and look at the crucial games he won us points - granted the team is generally better but Carson was an absolute colossus this year and to lose him would be a huge blow especially when we are talking about replacing him with someone who wasn’t good enough for a poor Kilmarnock 

15 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I would disagree with that mate and say Carson is better than both Hladky and Alnwick.

All 3 are excellent keepers though and we’ve been lucky in the goalkeeping department so we are due a howler and hemming fits the bill.

15 minutes ago, McG said:

I would disagree with that mate and say Carson is better than both Hladky and Alnwick.

All 3 are excellent keepers though and we’ve been lucky in the goalkeeping department so we are due a howler and hemming fits the bill.

Surely through goalie recruitment, Langfield has had a big say. We have done very well with goalies since Langfield took up the head of goalkeeping role.

Predictions for the week:-

1. 1 or 2 players signed with the initials C.M.

2. Carson out in the cold.

3. Hemming signs a one year loan with us.

4. 1 or 2 others sign for us.

5. Options for McCrorie and Lowry loans are in place.

6. We win the matches in Ireland.

Edited by medals

23 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Speaking to a Killie Supporting mate, he said stay well away from Hemming, describing him as a disastrous choice if he were to be thrown in as a number 1. Back up keeper at best. 

Yeah he’s really not up to the level we need. Carson is excellent and won us many points last season - if he goes he’ll be a massive loss.

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

What happened to the Stav Nahmani thing?

The Burns guy reported that a done deal did he not? Clearly wasn’t. 🤷‍♂️

Think Graeme MacPherson (maybe not but was certainly a journalist) mentioned it's now with the Home Office for clearance. Remember how long red tape tied Baccus up last year before he finally signed.

Edited by djchapsticks

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

The Burns guy reported that a done deal did he not? Clearly wasn’t. 🤷‍♂️

International clearance, work permits etc all take time. Baccus was known about long before the scarf pic.

2 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

The Burns guy reported that as a done deal did he not? Clearly wasn’t. 🤷‍♂️

It is a done deal. We’re waiting on the Home Office sorting the work permit/visa at their end.

I think it's fair to say given the clowns they ended up with between the sticks that Dundee Utd's relegation last season was largely down to the loss of both Siegrist and then Carson.

You can't over estimate the value of a solid keeper and we have one, who is under contract for another two years.

Letting him go would be absolutely fucking mental unless he's done something really, really bad.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

21 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Yeah he’s really not up to the level we need. Carson is excellent and won us many points last season - if he goes he’ll be a massive loss.

I have to say Carson is much better than Alnwick in my eyes. Both good stoppers, but Carson can take a goal kick and keep it in, Alnwick couldn't. 

For me I don't see this. I see it as he has a year left I think we will let Peter go out on loan to get more game time and for us to see if he has it. The reason for this he has played f**k all due to no reserve league, so essentially just trains. 

Also for a fair bit of his career Carson has gone to Robo's clubs. They seem to understand eachother and Robo allows him to go spend time with his family, would other managers?! 

I can see us getting in maybe a more established number 2. I can see us then looking at maybe a loan to buy deal as this person would be better than Peter and could take over from Carson with Carson eventually going down to be closer to his family after this extension?!

I suppose another way of looking at the Carson thing is he's 35 and will need replacing at some point. If there is a team offering us decent money to do that now instead of a year or two's time maybe they think it's worth doing?

Just now, GAD said:

I suppose another way of looking at the Carson thing is he's 35 and will need replacing at some point. If there is a team offering us decent money to do that now instead of a year or two's time maybe they think it's worth doing?

35 isn’t old for a goalie. Especially these days. 

10 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

I have to say Carson is much better than Alnwick in my eyes. Both good stoppers, but Carson can take a goal kick and keep it in, Alnwick couldn't. 

For me I don't see this. I see it as he has a year left I think we will let Peter go out on loan to get more game time and for us to see if he has it. The reason for this he has played f**k all due to no reserve league, so essentially just trains. 

Also for a fair bit of his career Carson has gone to Robo's clubs. They seem to understand eachother and Robo allows him to go spend time with his family, would other managers?! 

I can see us getting in maybe a more established number 2. I can see us then looking at maybe a loan to buy deal as this person would be better than Peter and could take over from Carson with Carson eventually going down to be closer to his family after this extension?!

Yeah I think Carson is the best of the lot - anyone we sign is likely to be a bit of a drop off.

If there has been a falling out then it must be pretty serious and that’s made us go for Hemming.