The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Everything is caveated with 'at the moment' and 'at this moment in time' on both sides from Robinson and Feeney.

I actually am not sure this is as dead in the water as it appears and there's a bit of poker being played. Glad we aren't hanging about though to be honest.

Might force the players hand to make the move happen. 27 years old, coming into his peak. Has a good couple of years with us might get him a move to Hibs/Aberdeen or a move down South for a big pay day in his twilight years. 

1 minute ago, callum-g said:

Possibly , a game of who blinks first ? 🤔

Judge for yourself.

Certainly none of the language spoken there aside from the brief 'We move on' from Robbo (which is probably true - we'll have a contingency plan) suggests that the issue is fully dead in the water.

The thing is though. We've heard a lot about how talented and how good Conor McMenamin is but in reality, we do need to be sensible here as we've seen clubs making this same mistake many times in the past.

Is he talented? Apparently so. Folk saying he's the best player by a distance in the Irish Premiership.

However - The Irish Premiership, without being disparaging is *barely* a full time league. It's the equivalent of the Scottish Championship/Upper league one. For comparison's sake, Andy Ryan is one of the best strikers in Northern Irish football. Andy Ryan on his best day, is a middle of the road championship level centre forward.

Now that doesn't mean that this guy is not a good footballer but he's 28, has played his entire career in essentially a part time league (albeit, ripping it apart) and has a lot more downside than upside at this point in terms of the future and potential return on investment. The reality is we'll never see any of that £100k+ that Glentoran want, back and if he gives us four good seasons, that's absolutely fine by me. If he was 21-23 then going out to £100k even £150k for me would be a no brainer but we shouldn't and hopefully won't be held over a barrel for a guy who is much closer to 30 than 20.

Will he be a good signing if we get him? I'm sure he could well be - he must have something to make his national side only playing at NI level, but should we be throwing comparatively stupid money at him? f**k no. We need to do what is right by the club and if that's moving on and leaving it, then that's what we should do.

Edited by djchapsticks

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If he was 21-23 then going out to £100k even £150k for me would be a no brainer but we shouldn't and hopefully won't be held over a barrel for a guy who is much closer to 30 than 20.

This is the key point, for me. While we can't possibly make a profit on every player we sign, we've got to maximise our chances of doing so. We've struck lucky with the Brophy transfer; signing other players in their late 20s for fees is not our model and is not sustainable.

All this talk about Hemming is pathetic. We need a competant keeper which he is. What we need more is creative players and someone to put away our chances. If we get the right frontmen then the rest takes care of itself. 

1 minute ago, AW saint said:

All this talk about Hemming is pathetic. We need a competant keeper which he is. What we need more is creative players and someone to put away our chances. If we get the right frontmen then the rest takes care of itself. 

I'm sure we will see more activity over the next 2-3 weeks. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see more outgoings as well as incomings.

7 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I'm sure we will see more activity over the next 2-3 weeks. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see more outgoings as well as incomings.

The confirmation of being in the market for two centre forwards makes me think that one of the two youngsters (almost certainly Offord on loan) and perhaps Olusanya might be made available to move on.

That would leave us with New Forward 1, New Forward 2, Nahmani, Ayunga (inj), Grieve and Jamieson and though six does seem a lot, the risk is that Ayunga could yet miss half of the coming season and we do seem to be intent on floating between a front two and front three this season.

Edited by djchapsticks

Just now, djchapsticks said:

The confirmation of being in the market for two centre forwards makes me think that one of the two youngsters (almost certainly Offord) and perhaps Olusanya might be made available to move on.

That would leave us with New Forward 1, New Forward 2, Nahmani, Ayunga (inj), Grieve and Jamieson and though six does seem a lot, the risk is that Ayunga could yet miss half of the coming season and we do seem to be intent on floating between a front two and front three this season.

Offord and Jamieson should be going on loan, dont think its fair on Jamieson to be warming the bench . I dont know what the plan for Olusanya is. I asked the Arbroath fans on here what they thought of him and there werent too many positives.

Grieve and a new forward should be the starting 2 until Ayunga is fit. I dont think Nahmani will be a regular starter more of a season long trial and backup

Edited by Mac28

Just now, Mac28 said:

Offord and Jamieson should be going on loan, dont think its fair on Jamieson to be warming the bench . I dont know what the plan for Olusanya is. I asked the Arbroath fans on here what they thought of him and there werent too many positives

No to loaning Jamieson in my opinion. Think this is his season that he needs to prove if he has what it takes or not at top flight level. He'll be 22 by the end of the coming season - another year on loan is not going to teach him if he's going to cut it with St. Mirren by this point. His only two options are to stay for first team football and sink or swim, or move on full time to a level that he's more suited to. We already know he can comfortably cut it at league one and he was apparently looking decent in the championship without being prolific. We've nothing else to learn from loaning him out in my opinion.

4 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Apparently Bolton were offering wages no better than us for Baccus and his place in the national squad was under threat with this sideways move. Good to hear. And I doubt Hibs would be offering £500k for Baccus (inc add-ons).

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/hibernian-on-alert-as-baccus-backs-out-of-bolton-deal-597448

Unsurprising this as we've stuck to our guns on a very strict wage cap since we faced extinction 3 years ago - probably why we've been signing so many players from non-league, the League of Ireland and out-of-contract older players like Kieran Lee who I assume Baccus was targeted as a replacement for.

Of course I'm disappointed especially as our style of play/system is perfect for the likes of Baccus but better he doesn't join us if it's a threat to our financial stability. Fairly sure he would have been offered close to our limit so you guys must be paying him plenty.

6 minutes ago, Kempes said:

Fixtures being released at 9am tomorrow. Given recent events, will we be away to Dundee, County or Killie for the first fixture?

I'll go with Dundee, Shags to score first

Yeah, there is no point in loaning Jamieson now, we've given him the 1 year deal to prove himself. He's already pretty much shown he's a  decent enough championship/top end league one striker. This is his chance at the Prem, he'll either take it, or be at Airdrie next season.

4 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

A six-figure fee for Brophy is fucking mental.

Fair play to the board for that.

Fair play - seriously?

Our negotiation team are now nicknamed the D.T's after the infamous Dick Turpin .

Was the Kibble director (s) involved?

46 minutes ago, Kempes said:

Fixtures being released at 9am tomorrow. Given recent events, will we be away to Dundee, County or Killie for the first fixture?

Won't be killie as thats the pretend derby which usually happens later in the season. Probably be away to one of the old firm.