The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

56 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

By the way, there's the start of the season and there's the start of the League Cup group stages. You can't really expect clubs to have their squads fully in place on July 15th. 

Which shows what a crock of shite the League Cup now is. Three major trophies in the country, only two of which a club like ours can realistically win, and it is reduced to a pre-season friendly status with unfinished squads and not-up-to-full-fitness players. Managers still bedding in any new signings, trying formations, muddling along.

Absolute crock of shite. How great was 2013? The League Cup pre-season group stage pish is one of the things that really grinds my gears…. along with Neil Doncaster, plastic pitches, Livingston FC, and Drooper’s mixed metaphors.

Edited by pozbaird

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Which shows what a crock of shite the League Cup now is. Three major trophies in the country, only two of which a club like ours can realistically win, and it is reduced to a pre-season friendly status with unfinished squads and not-up-to-full-fitness players. Managers still bedding in any new signings, trying formations, muddling along.

Absolute crock of shite. How great was 2013? The League Cup pre-season group stage pish is one of the things that really grinds my gears…. along with Neil Doncaster, plastic pitches, Livingston FC, and Drooper’s mixed metaphors.

Have to disagree. Whats the alternative, a bunch of pre season friendlies that mean nothing? 

Even with our current incomplete squad, we should still be good enough to qualify comfortably.

2 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Have to disagree. Whats the alternative, a bunch of pre season friendlies that mean nothing? 

Even with our current incomplete squad, we should still be good enough to qualify comfortably.

Absolutely. A bunch of pre-season friendlies that mean nothing… other than to build up fitness, bed in new signings, look at trialists, try new formations, maybe have a look at your backup keeper, play a couple of kids, etc.

Gets my vote. When do the big boys enter the League Cup?, while we’re having to piss-fart our way through a pre-season group?

Three major trophies. One seriously devalued and treated like dugshit. IMHO, he added. 😀

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Absolutely. A bunch of pre-season friendlies that mean nothing… other than to build up fitness, bed in new signings, look at trialists, try new formations, maybe have a look at your backup keeper, play a couple of kids, etc.

Gets my vote. When do the big boys enter the League Cup?, while we’re having to piss-fart our way through a pre-season group?

Three major trophies. One seriously devalued and treated like dugshit. IMHO, he added. 😀

Got to agree.

The League Cup is one of two trophies that us and everyone else outside of the Old Firm can win and it’s been reduced to a daft pre season tournament with shite seeded draws if you get out the groups.

Is it not the case that we go back in Jan and sign McMenamin and Glentoran miss out on the fee.? 

100k plus add ons and a sell on clause is a good offer. 
They now have an unhappy player who no doubt will make it his mission to manoeuvre himself a move.

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

Is it not the case that we go back in Jan and sign McMenamin and Glentoran miss out on the fee.? 

100k plus add ons and a sell on clause is a good offer. 
They now have an unhappy player who no doubt will make it his mission to manoeuvre himself a move.

Yeah I think this is a real possibility now.

I can still see him signing for us once the player hands in a transfer request and demand the move.

2 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Yeah I think this is a real possibility now.

I can still see him signing for us once the player hands in a transfer request and demand the move.

We all know how it works when the player is unhappy. I’m sure he’s been speaking with our assistant manager when he’s with the Northern Ireland squad about the possibility of moving to us.

I don’t think we’ve heard the last of this deal.

I thought that one of the main reasons for the LC group stage was so clubs could play meaningful games instead of pre-season friendlies

Now all that’s happened is that club’s just play their pre season friendlies even earlier!

I can see the pros and cons re both sides of the LC group stage debate

But the fact is that the LC debate has been going on for years and has never been fully resolved 

Hope we sign Mcmenamin and if we don't yea I would take Bruce Anderson. However he only scored 6 League goals last season so for Livi to want an inflated fee we should move on.

Unlike others I would take Fletcher over Main assuming Fletcher's fitness is ok for another season. Unlike Main he is a natural goalscorer and like Main he is a physical presence, just slower due to age.  Ayunga is also be a great physical presence. I wouldn't be disappointed if Main signed on again but we need a goalscorer.

13 hours ago, McG said:

McMenamin deal is off.

Could not reach the £150,000 they wanted. Move on Robinson has other players on the list. 

4 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I reckon we can forget about Anderson as Livi will be looking for a ridiculous fee. 

Agree with that also. 

2 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Could not reach the £150,000 they wanted. Move on Robinson has other players on the list. 

I would imagine we probably could have just about afforded £150k. Presumably Robinson didn't rate McMenamin as worth a £150k gamble on a 27 year old who is untried at our level.