The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

17 minutes ago, Woodster said:

Dons fan in peace.

Robinson can surely do better than Main with his network of contacts in England etc.

Curtis was a donkey up north and did next to hee haw.

Appreciate he may have had the odd good game but you can, and should, do better. 

That says more about your management team at the time than it does about Main.

He wasn't a donkey on this occasion "up North".:rolleyes:

Edited by FTOF

33 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

We must be due a signing soon . Would like Curtis Main before League Cup games , would Hope McMenamin is still about , and that we are also interested in signing a third attacking players . 

We’ve already signed one forward - Nehmani

I think another two is what we are after 

Thought we started last night's game on a good tempo for a friendly. Easy to see why Sutherland is about the first team is he only 17 ?  Strain was my man of the match no doubt this will be his last season with us bigger things await that lad.  Good to see a decent pace played don't see any slip up in the League Cup opening stages this year. . Anyone got any update on Main ? Normally avoid BAWA which still looks like sound advice. 

16 minutes ago, Woodster said:

Dons fan in peace.

Robinson can surely do better than Main with his network of contacts in England etc.

Curtis was a donkey up north and did next to hee haw.

Appreciate he may have had the odd good game but you can, and should, do better. 

Main was garbage in his first season with us. Just like he was with the Dons. Reckon most fans would have liked to see him out the door. Then came Robinson and I've never seen such a transformation in a player. He suited our style last season and worked his socks off but he is not a natural finisher. We hoped someone could play off him to score but that never materialised and as he was the target man he had most opportunities. If Fletcher can squeeze out another season he'd be my short term choice for target man role.

8 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Thought we started last night's game on a good tempo for a friendly. Easy to see why Sutherland is about the first team is he only 17 ?  Strain was my man of the match no doubt this will be his last season with us bigger things await that lad.  Good to see a decent pace played don't see any slip up in the League Cup opening stages this year. . Anyone got any update on Main ? Normally avoid BAWA which still looks like sound advice. 

Not long turned 17 either . Think he left Rangers youth set up to join us . Don't know where he is from and why he left . Born in 2006 . Look forward to seeing him play .

1 minute ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Not long turned 17 either . Think he left Rangers youth set up to join us . Don't know where he is from and why he left . Born in 2006 . Look forward to seeing him play .

Diarmud O'Carroll was commenting on him in the post match interview.

He's a winger who it would appear they're trying to convert into a wing back. DO said his defending has still to be worked upon, as evidenced by the couple of times Kalvin Orsi skinned him.

Looks like a ready made replacement for Henderson, and with more time to work on his defensive abilities, could be a bit of a find.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Diarmud O'Carroll was commenting on him in the post match interview.

He's a winger who it would appear they're trying to convert into a wing back. DO said his defending has still to be worked upon, as evidenced by the couple of times Kalvin Orsi skinned him.

Looks like a ready made replacement for Henderson, and with more time to work on his defensive abilities, could be a bit of a find.

What are your thoughts on Dumbarton.  Worth a wee bet to win league 2 ?

2 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

What are your thoughts on Dumbarton.  Worth a wee bet to win league 2 ?

TBH I've no idea what their opposition will be like, but they rarely troubled us.

Their two CH's seemed good at defending high balls, but we then again didn't exactly have anyone with an aerial presence up front.

Don't think I'd be putting my house on them.

I think Sutherland was a bit naive at times but that's to be expected.  I loved the fact that he was happy to keep the ball and try get past people. 

He will also develop physically over the next couple of years.  I think he has potential to be a very good player, albeit I have only seen him play against lower league opposition in a friendly.  The hints were there, though. There's a confidence already, and he believes in his own ability.  That's an impressive attitude for such a young lad.

Edited by Drooper

Think with Nemani, Greive and Ayunga on the books we will be looking for another two forward players.

Jamieson and Offord don’t offer enough at this stage of their careers for me, and I really don’t think Olusanya is ever going to offer enough.

Alan Nixon has decent connections especially in Dundee and he seems to think Fletcher is coming 🤷‍♂️

IMG_6888.jpeg

While I don’t think he’s a long term solution, I’m surprised that Jamieson hasn’t featured more often in the friendlies ahead of the League Cup

We need to get through the group stage and, if we haven’t got anyone in by then, at least Jamieson has a track record of sorts of scoring goals against League One standard opposition 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

Perhaps Fletcher will defy the odds and have a huge impact late in his career but I fear that his age goes against him. 
Are any other clubs in the top 6 chasing his signature? Unlikely. 
We have history of handing out decent contracts to ageing strikers down the years and it has rarely worked out. eg Archibald, Creaney, McAvennie (2nd time), Paatelainen. I’m sure there are others. 
We initially signed Thommo on a 2 year deal and his first 3 seasons were very good. But his last contract extension did not work out. 

Have to trust the manager though! 

COYS!

27 minutes ago, Div said:

Think with Nemani, Greive and Ayunga on the books we will be looking for another two forward players.

Jamieson and Offord don’t offer enough at this stage of their careers for me, and I really don’t think Olusanya is ever going to offer enough.

Alan Nixon has decent connections especially in Dundee and he seems to think Fletcher is coming 🤷‍♂️

IMG_6888.jpeg

Think Motherwell have pulled out too. 

11 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Perhaps Fletcher will defy the odds and have a huge impact late in his career but I fear that his age goes against him. 
Are any other clubs in the top 6 chasing his signature? Unlikely. 

Not a dig at you as quite a few fans I have seen on here seem to be turning their nose up at him but anytime I saw him play last season he won just about every aerial challenge. His movement is way ahead of most in this league too imo. Add in he got 10 goals in a hilariously bad Utd side and seemed to keep himself fit for most of the season I think he would be a decent addition to most squads in the league for next season imo.

7 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Not a dig at you as quite a few fans I have seen on here seem to be turning their nose up at him but anytime I saw him play last season he won just about every aerial challenge. His movement is way ahead of most in this league too imo. Add in he got 10 goals in a hilariously bad Utd side and seemed to keep himself fit for most of the season I think he would be a decent addition to most squads in the league for next season imo.

Totally agree. Near the end of last season, Fletcher scored in a game at Tannadice we were lucky to get a point in (bit of a dodgy penalty decision for us). Fletcher was brilliant that day - really made things tough for Shaughnessy and Taylor with his, as you said, heading ability, strength and movement. 

As with all signings, there's a bit of a risk and it might not work out but I think he's definitely worth taking. 

16 minutes ago, saintmurn said:

Totally agree. Near the end of last season, Fletcher scored in a game at Tannadice we were lucky to get a point in (bit of a dodgy penalty decision for us). Fletcher was brilliant that day - really made things tough for Shaughnessy and Taylor with his, as you said, heading ability, strength and movement. 

As with all signings, there's a bit of a risk and it might not work out but I think he's definitely worth taking. 

He was really good in the 2-1 win we had at home earlier in the season as well. Bullied our backline and scored an excellent goal. I'm really surprised at the amount of our fans turning their nose up at him.

Just now, GAD said:

He was really good in the 2-1 win we had at home earlier in the season as well. Bullied our backline and scored an excellent goal. I'm really surprised at the amount of our fans turning their nose up at him.

Arguments from both sides are fair. He does display many positives but the fear is will he do it for another season and with us - ala historical mature striker graveyard.

Only one way to find out.

@gannonball I’m not gonna complain if our manager signs SF.

He is a striker with a great history - of that there is no doubt. I’m just a little fearful as we’ve been down this path many times before and it rarely works out for us. 
Your side have experienced it with guys like Roy Keane in the past. 

If he signs then he will have my total support.

As ever “Past Performance Is No Guarantee of Future Results”. 

When he signs at Linwood Asda today at 3pm I’ll be the first to start singing:

“Steven Fletcher is a fcuking goal machine!”

COYS!!!