The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

10 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I think you're right about Yardley, but Nicolson wouldn't have been there at that point. I think it was Paul McIntyre that Hartley got send off, although something is telling me Stuart Taylor?

I'm a silly auld prat, of course it was Paul McIntyre.

3 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Was there no red card in that game? Have I conflated two different games?

That was definitely the red card game, with Hartley running the length of the Saints support staring at us with a blank facial expression as his goal celebration. 😀

I just walked up the stairs in time to see Yardley scoring and I had absolutely no idea who the hell he was. I hadn't even heard we'd signed him.

Was there any truth in the story that Big Yards transfer was partly financed using George Campbell’s wife’s pension?

I think George once told a story at an AGM that his wife was in attendance at a game and she asked how her pension was performing and George said “take a look for yourself - upfront playing no9 today!”

I remember staying at the Travelodge at the airport the night after we won the league in 2000. Yards sat down next to me. The size of breakfast portion Yards had would have fed me for 6 months. He demolished it the way he used to destroy Morten. 

Lovely guy Mark. Always used to see him at Tynecastle. 

That 99/00 season was arguably the greatest ever! I know it was only the 1st division championship but it was fcuking brilliant after all those years being out of the top flight!

We just seemed to have this incredible knack of turning defeat into victory. 

The bubble did finally burst away last game of season at Inverness - we never recovered after that. 

Great memories. 

Scott Agnew scored twice on his debut (not as a sub).

Kyle McAllister came off the bench to score against Alloa in the first game of his loan spell but not really a debut.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Surely not.

Its not the first time hes been linked with you this Summer, if you want to read anything into that.

Turkish papers seem to have claimed hes joining you a couple of days ago too.

11 minutes ago, Drooper said:

I dunno. He seems to find his way around English championship sides and gets plenty of appearances, if not much game time in doing so, so there is clearly something there even if he flattered to deceive at Hearts. He got 6 goals in the English championship the season before last for Cardiff despite literally being used as an impact sub, he started only 9 games and amassed less than 1000 minutes of football in his time there so 6 goals from less than 1000 minutes is quite impressive.

He's also fucking enormous and would fit the 'replace Curtis Main' remit more or less to a T.

Edited by djchapsticks

5 minutes ago, GAD said:

I like Ikpeazu, as a big battering ram forward he could do a job if we use him properly.

I liked him at Hearts. Had to look him up there to see where he's been since, can't believe he's only 28. I'd assumed he was about that age when he played for Hearts.

I'd be happy enough if we signed him.

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I liked him at Hearts. Had to look him up there to see where he's been since, can't believe he's only 28. I'd assumed he was about that age when he played for Hearts.

I'd be happy enough if we signed him.

Yeah, I honestly thought he'd be early/mid 30s by now as well!