The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Also, Pay as you Play is the biggest myth in world football. I can't think of a single player in Scottish football in last 30 years who has agreed to a PAYP deal and that definitely wouldn't be the case for a loan.

I would imagine they are illegal as well. I'm sure most contracts contain appearance/win/goal bonuses etc, but no player is only picking up a wage when they play. It would be immoral. 

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Wouldn't that be the case regardless of who this mystery forward actually is. It's not who it proves to be it's the fact it's another forward when it looks like we require cover elsewhere, particularly RWB.

I am beginning to think that Robinson might rely less on 5 at the back this season, but I'd say most of us would be happy to see cover for both wingback positions.

15 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Do I think Ikpeazu though would be an asset? I do actually but I'd much rather it was permanent or a loan with realistic option to make it so.

I get that he'll be on decent wages, not 100% if it's a loan, but still decent. I also get he might fancy a fresh start as he seems he's getting little game time in Turkey. I also don't mind us paying money if we get a return (in goals), although our fingers are still a little burnt from the Brophy big spend.

Is Ikpeazu different from what we have? No not really. Is he better than what we have? Possibly. Comparing Ayunga's performances last season to Ikpeazu's ones at Hearts, they both offer a similar level of goal threat.

Is it just a case of bringing in one, to cover until the other is free from injury? If so, fair enough, but it seems a bit of a fanfare about what is a pretty average player and one who could be on a decent wage. Not sure a short term loan for an injury prone journeyman, that hardly set the heather alight the last time he graced these shores, is the solution. Who knows what our front line will finally end up being, Mandron and Nahmani?

If it happens, and that's still a question in itself, we'll just have to see. It's Robinson's call, he's earned the right to build the team he wants to. Holding onto Strain, and possibly Baccus, are the priorities now. The Carson situation will resolve itself soon enough, neither party are bad mouthing each other so I guess we just leave that on the back burner. It looks like we'll be adding cover for Tanser, which is needed no matter the formation he uses - I don't believe that Robinson has brought McMenamin in to idle about at LWB. Tanser, for his plusses, is at his weakest (imo) tracking back and defending, McMenamin would surely be the same.

As for Hemming? f**k it, it seems the decision has been made, if we can get a very settled defence that should help him. He gives me the fear tho.

On 23/07/2023 at 00:19, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

This post just about sums up my feelings after todays game. Only one contention. I’m still unconvinced about Mandron. Really not convinced he’s a player. Let’s see. 

I take your point especially as my thoughts were similar, but the one particular thing that encourages me that perhaps I might be wrong, is he was always there or thereabouts, never hiding, so let's give the lad a chance, he did well on Saturday.

43 minutes ago, rachel fiona said:

the same one yesterday tweeted that pressley was our mystery striker

If he keeps going he may get it eventually. 

Saying that I am beginning to wonder if our mystery striker exists

3 minutes ago, Mac28 said:

Did Robbo jinx it by mentioning it before the deal was done

I get that feeling.  I still think it's the guy Presley as it refers to a deal done with his club . Still I think now that we have added Mandron , McMenamin and Nahmani we are not in a hurry . Think we need to sign a couple of defenders now . 

11 hours ago, Widge said:

One of the only times I’ve ever laughed out loud at a football match, that was glorious. 

As for Ikpeazu, he’s a handful in the same mould as Nouble is. I’d say that he’d be a decent signing for most of the teams in the league, even if he does look like Bambi on ice half the time. He’s ironically, after that clip got decent feet from what I remember. I’m sure the Hearts fans will be along soon. 

He probably played shite against St Johnstone if you were left with that impression but Nouble is very different to Ikpeazu. Nouble is a second striker with impeccable ball control who often drops deep or wide to playmake. Ikpeazu is an aerial target man with errr, unconventional ball control who plays as the highest striker. 

43 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I get that feeling.  I still think it's the guy Presley as it refers to a deal done with his club . Still I think now that we have added Mandron , McMenamin and Nahmani we are not in a hurry . Think we need to sign a couple of defenders now . 

Robinson’s said there will be no more new players after the new mystery striker unless anyone leaves 

4 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

Will it be a full strength St Mirren team heading to Cowden tomorrow? Or an experimental one treating it as a pre season game? 

We need to win to have any chance of qualifying from the group.

It will be a full strength team. Whether they'll be any good or not remains to be seen.