The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Robinson’s said there will be no more new players after the new mystery striker unless anyone leaves 

Robinson says a lot of things that don't quite pan out that way.

We certainly would not have wing backs on trial if there was no budget or opportunity to sign one.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We certainly would not have wing backs on trial if there was no budget or opportunity to sign one.

Indeed.

How many times have we heard this type of statement, only for a couple of new signings to rock up, because the "board have managed to extend the budget"?

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Indeed.

How many times have we heard this type of statement, only for a couple of new signings to rock up, because the "board have managed to extend the budget"?

Alex Gogic was a prime example of that last season.

1 minute ago, Torfason said:

At this rate we'll find the Loch Ness Monster before we announce the new striker 😛

If he is coming back from an injury then maybe he can't pass a medical yet?

More likely there will be some sort of international red tape issue.

41 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

As he said himself, they need to be able to react quickly if someone leaves

27 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Alex Gogic was a prime example of that last season.

I expect the BoD to have tighter control over spending this season.

I am expecting Carson to be mutual’d though and possibly Baccus to be sold which will lead to new signings. Just hoping Strain stays. 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

19 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

As he said himself, they need to be able to react quickly if someone leaves

I expect the BoD to have tighter control over spending this season.

I am expecting Carson to be mutual’d though and possibly Baccus to be sold which will lead to new signings. Just hoping Strain stays. 

Strain is the one player I would worry about leaving. He is a stand out and all our good play goes through him. 

Best player we have by a mile

3 minutes ago, Div said:

Profile pictures all updated on the website, big Trev looks like he’s loving life 🤷‍♂️

IMG_7216.jpeg

No wonder- he works a couple hours in the morning with weekends off on full salary. 

So what's the thinking with Carson?

I've written it off, he's not going to our rivals so he can pop off any time he wants if his heart is not set on staying. He is going to be off, right?

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

I've written it off, he's not going to our rivals so he can pop off any time he wants if his heart is not set on staying. He is going to be off, right?

Yeah I don't think there is any way back for TC. Imagine his agent is hawking him around whilst Saints are probably holding out for some sort of fee at the moment.

If it drags on another 2-3 weeks we'll probably cave and let him go on a free but for now it's entirely reasonable that we expect to recoup what we paid for him last Summer.

29 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Strain is the one player I would worry about leaving. He is a stand out and all our good play goes through him. 

Best player we have by a mile

I agree with this 100%. I was fortunate enough to be sitting very close to where he worked his magic to set up the first goal; he was brilliant.

23 minutes ago, Ric said:

I wonder if he is getting a reality check and not getting the interest he was expecting. 

From the outside, a player who signs a new deal and falls out with his manager and throws his toys out the pram is not a great look to a new employer......... now you might see past it if he was younger but as a journeyman keeper at his age with some previous injury challenges......... he really isn't that attractive a deal and certainly not at his current salary. 

Every year hundreds of young lads join the professional football world but the number of clubs doesn't change, so hundreds have to make way. 

2 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Robinson’s said there will be no more new players after the new mystery striker unless anyone leaves 

I simply don't believe that. I think we'll sign either Strapp or Marshall as competition at LB/LWB. Or get Small back in on loan.

3 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I get that feeling.  I still think it's the guy Presley as it refers to a deal done with his club . Still I think now that we have added Mandron , McMenamin and Nahmani we are not in a hurry . Think we need to sign a couple of defenders now . 

That would be ludicrous if we have reached a deal for Pressley and they then risk injury by playing him in a friendly before he joins us. If it is him that’s just disrespectful and the club would be within it’s rights to be pissed off.