The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 hours ago, C_titz said:

We were dreadful today , probably because of the standard of opposition . Arbroath must have been horrendous 

I think maybe the Forfar manager just ended up overthinking things yesterday. Usually lower league teams cause us serious problems by keeping a solid back 4/5 and in front of them another solid 4/5 with a striker running the channels up front. They get the ball forward quickly, let us have the ball in our own half.and frustrate us. Forfar didn't really do that, they sort of tried to be defensive but without the midfeild and tried to play out from the back as well, which caused them problems.

I think you showed enough though in the other 3 games to suggest this was a bit of a one off and you can have a really good season.

6 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Interesting to read the Motherwell manager complaining that the referee blew up on 90 minutes in their game despite a 3 minute injury stoppage and multiple substitutions. Noticed the same thing happened with us. Glorified preseason friendlies right enough.

Happened in both halfs as well.

Overall I thought we were good. First half was strangely dull considering we scored four goals. A little nervy at first then settled after a straightforward goal from a corner. Forfar got no Joy from our back three with Taylor in particular looking very good. (might have pipped Strain for MoM for me). The midfield looked a bit flat with Baccus very quiet. Mandron totally bullying the Forfar defence. 

Still four goals is four goals.

Second half was a better watch, even if the only real question was if we would get a fifth (spoiler alert - we never). But We seemed to be able to conjure chances and played well with Baccus stepping up and looking the part. 

Up front we missed a number of good chances. Not quite sure what to make of the front three.  They were certainly good in parts. 

Credit to Forfar, second half they stuck with it and worked their socks off 

Just now, MenstrieSaint said:

Everyone looks wee next to Mandron .

Harsh. Thought the entire team played well. OK, the big guy scored two, but come on. No need for that.

Reported for being a boo boy. 😎

41 minutes ago, McG said:

Tanser was excellent yesterday, he gets a lot of stick but he’s a good footballer, really tidy on the ball and technically very good.

He improved vastly after Small came in on loan to give him a bit of competition/rest.

Wing backs the hardest shift on the pitch. Especially with the way we play. 

12 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

He improved vastly after Small came in on loan to give him a bit of competition/rest.

Wing backs the hardest shift on the pitch. Especially with the way we play. 

Absolutely mate, Wing back is an absolute shift, you are up and down constantly. His defending has got better and if we are on the front foot in games Tanser’s passing and crossing is generally excellent most of the time, I’m more than happy to have him start at wing back this season.

14 hours ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

I’ll watch it back on the highlights and my mind might change… just a bit deflated after that performance🤣

Offered little up top because of the gulf in class between the two sides today. Think against similar opposition in the league we’ll do just fine this season.

Okay I’ve changed my mind I have watched it back. The second goal was decent… it wasn’t the chance that I thought 🤣. (Give me a break there was that many we gifted you) 

18 minutes ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Okay I’ve changed my mind I have watched it back. The second goal was decent… it wasn’t the chance that I thought 🤣. (Give me a break there was that many we gifted you) 

I felt that Forfar gave us a lot of space yesterday. We played a lot of wee triangles, and a couple of passes seemed to allow us to break into acres of space.

I thought Forfar were decent on the ball without really threatening. The one that came off the bar in the second half, I couldn't work out if it was lucky or unlucky.