The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

27 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

O'Hara came out of the tunnel before the game then went to sit behind the dugout. Looked to be walking normally: no crutches or anything. 3 games then an international break so hopefully it's just those 3 he misses.

Chance for CBM or does he go with Gogic in there?

Thought it was an interesting point Robinson made about CBM after the game in that, despite his age, he's playing his first games in professional football. Was all U23 level until he came to us. Taylor also very inexperienced and that was just McMenamin's 2nd game in a professional league. All should improve.

Boys Munce doesn’t look like he has the engine but it might be the fact he’s only really getting games now. Strain I’d say too gives you a great hour but looks v tired after this. 

10 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

Bolton looks some way short of fitness 

He's not the quickest, but he improved our centre of defence quite markedly.

He got stuck right in and started organising the defence.

He'll start next week.

35 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

Boys Munce doesn’t look like he has the engine but it might be the fact he’s only really getting games now. Strain I’d say too gives you a great hour but looks v tired after this. 

His deliveries from corners were the best I’ve seen for a long time. 

18 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

His deliveries from corners were the best I’ve seen for a long time. 

Yes and his distribution.  There's a clever player in him. Just needs to get fitter, as does Bolton.

We're already seeing McMenamin improving each game too.

6 wins on the spin would be quite something.

Edited by medals

4 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I thought Hemming was good, seemed a bit hesitant at the goal, then there was a bit of a communication issue with Bolton at one point. But other than that he did well. He took a few tricky crosses in a crowded box and had a good stop with his feet. I didn't feel that Dundee tested him much though. 

Let’s not forget he also saved a penalty 😂

Thought we were very good first half today but second period we were pretty crap and got pressed back by Dundee.

Strain had a poor afternoon tbh and I cannot remember the last time I thought that.

Guess you can’t be good all the time and if you’re  going to have a bad one best make it in a game we win 😂😂

Hemming was alright, he did what he needed to do, although you could possibly say he should have imposed himself for the goal. The penalty save is less a penalty save and more him just standing still while Robinson (?) rolled the ball to him. It was a stunningly bad penalty, one of the worst I've ever seen! However... with that said, for the penalty, Hemming could have just gone for the corner, hoping to get it right, instead he watched the path of the ball and reacted. He put in a couple of decent reaction saves later on too. I have been critical of him because of his form at Killie. It's fair to say he is playing better than that, although I still see inexperience in certain situations, it all depends on whether he's a quick learner.

Not sure what the f**k was going on with the chat from Carson to Shaughnessy to the penalty taker, but it makes brilliant optics for us; "former players gang up to hit at their previous employer and get it terribly wrong" type of thing.

Bolton looked very short of fitness, either that or he's still carrying an injury. It's a tough one for the lad as he's only getting bit parts where he is thrown into the game late in order to bolster the defence. Perhaps a start might help him settle a bit better, but at this point he's well behind all our other defenders barring perhaps Kelly. Previous clubs' fans have given him big licks on social media and forums so I guess the gamble is just whether he can get back to that.

I can see why Boyd-Munce was given that extra year, he has a good range of passing. Is he mobile enough? That all depends on how Robinson wants to play. Can't remember the lad, but he played for Killie and looked like he was towing a caravan everywhere, yet pinged shots and passes with such accuracy that any negatives are evened out by his deliveries.

Bit of a shame about O'Hara, although as that tweet comes from The Herald, I would immediately dismiss it. Injured? Yeh. Timeline? Unsure. Hearld, shit? Obviously.

Overall, who can complain about being top of the league, eh? Robinson is getting a tune out of I side I thought looked a bit unbalanced. Being top of the league will hopefully also convince any "on the fence" players we have our eye on. You'll have a lot easier time convincing someone to join when we aren't sitting rooted to the bottom without a win to our name.

Mandaron doesn't look like the player they were at Motherwell. Fitness/opportunity/style of play/etc.. I presume are the reasons, but he looks a considerably more effective player than any time I saw him in claret and amber.
Nice to see Tanser put in a very effective shift. When he is injury free and is on form, he really adds to the team. It was really nice to see him and Strain working so well on the wings.
McMenamin has impressed me. I expected the sort of thing he does, just didn't expect him to be quite so effective. We've had to change the formation to get him into it, but it's worked out in our favour.

All, in all, while we did stumble at little in the second half in both games so far, that doesn't take away the 3 points, being top of the league for about 24 hours is a nice reward for the players' efforts.

The reason we drop off in the second half is mainly down to the intensity of the first half. Our pressing in the first half is fantastic. We hunt in packs and usually have three players on one opposition player and constantly win the ball back. Last week Boyle and Youan were anonymous as when for example Boyle had the ball Tanser, Kiltie and O'Hara crowded him out to get it back. Similar on right wing and all over the park. But keeping that up is exhausting. As fitness improves we should be able to maintain it for longer. But for now we probably need fresh legs at the 60 min mark to keep it going.

15 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Thanks to our friendly SLO for another addition to matchday entertainment today.

Early in the 2nd half, choosing not to throw the ball into Carson's outstretched arms but 10 yards away...... followed by Trev's 5 second square-go stare as Colin strided off..... superb. 

That was absolutely hilarious, Carson was seething.

I hadn’t realised at the time how important a part Mandron plays in our first goal.

The reason Shaughnessey has to go and head the ball is because Mandron runs in behind him and Joe has no idea where he is and feels he needs to get contact on the ball and proceeds to glance a pinpoint header past Carson.

He was forced into the mistake. 

With the switch to playing with wide forwards in McMenamin and Kiltie, we don’t really have any like for like cover for them

Jay Henderson would have been ideal. 

Ironically, he left to get more game time at Ross County but was an unused sub yesterday. If he’d stayed with us, I reckon he’d have more opportunities 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

1 hour ago, Captain_Sensible said:

With the switch to playing with wide forwards in McMenamin and Kiltie, we don’t really have any like for like cover for them

Jay Henderson would have been ideal. 

Ironically, he left to get more game time at Ross County but was an unused sub yesterday. If he’d stayed with us, I reckon he’d have more opportunities 

If we sign this mythical big, powerful and quick forward, couldn't Olusanya and Nahmani move out there? 

Edited by saintmurn

4 hours ago, NorthBank said:

The reason we drop off in the second half is mainly down to the intensity of the first half. Our pressing in the first half is fantastic. We hunt in packs and usually have three players on one opposition player and constantly win the ball back. Last week Boyle and Youan were anonymous as when for example Boyle had the ball Tanser, Kiltie and O'Hara crowded him out to get it back. Similar on right wing and all over the park. But keeping that up is exhausting. As fitness improves we should be able to maintain it for longer. But for now we probably need fresh legs at the 60 min mark to keep it going.

I thought second half we could have made the changes about  ten mins earlier, given the signs of fatigue in some players. 
As you say it all stems from the high energy press we do on teams and it certainly takes its toll. 

You can see game by game the likes of McMenamin begin to make inroads toward peak fitness levels and we definitely have more to come from this squad.

Happy days and long may it continue.

Is there a quicker player than Toyosi? His pace is electric. He is going to be a real asset. He looks really improved. 

Mandron is a player. Great touch and awareness. 

It was mentioned on here about our fitness. We do drop off considerably. It was not so much Dundee being better but we fell away. Dundee first half were miles off the pace and not in the game. 

McMenamin looks a player. Get his fitness up and he will be a star for us. 

Can't really ask for much more from the first two games of the season, aside from maybe a clean sheet. Good to have Olusanya, Greive and now Mandron off and running for us in the league and hopefully Hemming will take some confidence from his penalty save.

A nonsense we have VAR but don't have goal line technology. No doubt had that decision gone against one of the Old Firm there'd have been absolute meltdown and demands for it to be brought in immediately, but because it's us and ended up not costing us bugger all will be said about it.

One reason we can’t sustain the same intensity throughout a game is because, when the opposition is losing or even looking for a winner, the longer the game goes on, the more direct they will become.

The opposition thus bypass our pressing game and commit more bodies forward

It does give the opportunity to hit on the break though, as we did for the winner last week.