The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I think one of the players we will really struggle without if he gets injured this season is Kiltie. Not sure who else we have that can play that kind of role he's playing right now where he's sort of covering the 11, 10 and 8 role depending on where the ball is. I think he's been excellent so far.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I've absolutely no issues with Killie's or Livi's plastic pitch in terms of our ability to play on it. We train on plastic for large parts of the week so should be able to transfer that to matchday.

Aesthetically though and in terms of match quality on these surfaces, I feel it's not as good as games that are played on grass. The ball seems to have bit too much zip, especially when the surface is wet and that invariably leads to a lot of games being played in the air to combat this. Just in my opinion of course.

On the contrary, that was definitely the case with the old “astroturf” pitches when they first came into being, but pitches like Livi’s have the opposite effect. The ball sticks on the surface and you often see the ball getting stuck under players’ feet or players tripping over the ball. 
The end effect is the same though. It encourages a long ball game. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

45 minutes ago, Torfason said:

It's funny how defensive fans become of their plastic pitch. 

Regardless of who the clubs are ..........I don't like watching games on an artificial surface. 

It feels like a bad cover version of the sport. 

It's a bit boring though, same stuff everytime we play a team with a plastic pitch, over and over. I don't like them either, but does it have to be the main talking point every single time we play these teams?

16 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

The talk of developing the stadoum to increase capacity is mental to me.

We are one managerial change, or one downturn in results away from the 25% attendance increase pissing off once again.

Think that trivialises a wee bit the work thats going in to try and secure a younger, sustained fanbase for the club in the community to be honest.

I'd actually say most of the increased fanbase will be U16s and/or people new to the area so 25% increase certainly won't equate to a 25% gate increase. At least not yet.

The focus on youth though, is more long term thinking than targetting people who'll show up as we're winning a few games. 

Edited by djchapsticks

37 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

The talk of developing the stadoum to increase capacity is mental to me.

We are one managerial change, or one downturn in results away from the 25% attendance increase pissing off once again.

I kind of get that. I always thought building a new ground with a capacity of ~8k showed a disappointing limit of our ambition.  Since we’ve never filled the place it shows the designers got it about right. 

However if we could find a cost effective way of enlarging the away stand, it would be worth exploring.  Always happy to take money from opposing teams. 

1 hour ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

I kind of get that. I always thought building a new ground with a capacity of ~8k showed a disappointing limit of our ambition.  Since we’ve never filled the place it shows the designers got it about right. 

However if we could find a cost effective way of enlarging the away stand, it would be worth exploring.  Always happy to take money from opposing teams. 

Why is everyone so desperate to increase away crowds. There seems to me a pretty clear correlation between the massive improvement in home form and giving away teams less of our stadium. We campaigned hard to stop the bigot brothers filling two stands so bollocks to giving them back a bigger allocation even if that was as part of an increased capacity. If we can't fill any increase with home fans then it's a firm no for me, it would be counter productive both in match day experience and the effect a crowd can have in performance. 

Edited by Billy Jean King

3 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

The size of the stadium wasn't based on any projection of potential attendances.  It was based on the requirement in the sale contract of Love Street that Tesco build an SPL compliant stadium.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Why is everyone so desperate to increase away crowds. There seems to me a pretty clear correlation between the massive improvement in home form and giving away teams less of our stadium. We campaigned hard to stop the bigot brothers filling two stands so bollocks to giving them back a bigger allocation even if that was as part of an increased capacity. If we can't fill any increase with home fans then it's a firm no for me, it would be counter productive both in match day experience and the effect a crowd can have in performance. 

Totally agree. In fact, I’d go further and not give the Old Firm any tickets at all. I’d rather take the financial hit and leave the away stand empty when they visit 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

48 minutes ago, Drooper said:

The size of the stadium wasn't based on any projection of potential attendances.  It was based on the requirement in the sale contract of Love Street that Tesco build an SPL compliant stadium.

Nonsense.  An 8000 capacity stadium would have been compliant, as would a 50,000 capacity stadium.  

34 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Nonsense.  An 8000 capacity stadium would have been compliant, as would a 50,000 capacity stadium.  

Read this SLOWLY....

All Tesco were obliged to do under the terms of the sale contract was to fund the build of an SPL compliant stadium.

Edited by Drooper

1 hour ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Totally agree. In fact, I’d go further and not give the Old Firm any tickets at all. I’d rather take the financial hit and leave the away stand empty when they visit 

Genuinely worry we're not far away from away crowd vanishing from a lot of games.

Given a chance Celtic, Hearts and Rangers would all jump at not offering away tickets, while all 12 are well on their way pricing away fans out.

4 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Does he have a sell on clause. I certainly hope so. 

Believe he has significant add-ons and a sell on.

Erhahon going down there and being a resounding success is the least surprising devopment of recent times. If he stays injury free, he'll play in the Premier League and get Scotland caps at some point. I'm certain of both and have been since day one with him.

Edited by djchapsticks

11 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Anyone hearing anything at all about any further incomings before the window SLAMS SHUT?

I still feel we are light at the back for the following reasons:

1. We only have one proper RWB. Aware that Bolton is mooted to be able to fill in there and we have used Flynn there (but does anyone want a repeat of the Ginnelly incident that chucked away points v Hearts?). But this isn't proper cover in my honest opinion, as this isn't their primary position.

2. While we now have adequate cover for the left side of central defence, I wouldn't say the same about the central position of the three, or the right hand side of the three because i) I still don't really want Gogic consigned to be a CB all season, it isn't his main role, ii) the only adequate cover for him and Fraser, in any case, seems to be Bolton. But what if either one of those two is hurt or suspended and Strain is at the same time? Bolton can't do both at once. People may say "well, Taylor or Dunne could do it" but that's square pegs in round holes stuff.

We don't need many injuries or suspensions in the wrong places to go from looking decent to the possibility that the defence becomes a bit of a disaster area imho. A bit of foresight will tell any fan we aren't going to get through the season unscathed as far as injuries and suspensions go.

I recognise that it's unlikely we solve all this but I would like to see at least one more CB come in tbh. As a fan, I don't always have to think of this in business terms, and I perceive that having proper players for cover for these positions rather than patchwork stuff where you are putting guys there that can't really do it is what might be the difference between an ok season and a brilliant one.

And I hope Robinson is currently putting a similar case to the board. 

OK, apart from the fact you have partly answered your own question regarding 1.: Thierry Small can also cover the right back position.  As for 2:  Bolton has been brought in specifically to fit into those defensive roles, as you will see over the coming weeks and months, but remember this is St Mirren, not Arsenal, we simply cannot afford two position-specific players as cover (unless of course you have won the Lotto and the board can expect a substantial donation soon). Taylor, Dunne, Gogic, and Flyn can and will on occasions cover where and when as required...... It's St Mirren, as I said. unlikely any more will arrive because finances are finite, unlike our fans' desire for more players.  I understand your reasoning and desire not to be undone for the lack of 'just one more signing', but it always seems to be ................just one more.