The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

To be honest I expected to lose one or both of our Aussie lads this window. I have faith that Robbo is also prepared and that Martin and himself are ready to act quickly if they think it is necessary. Being a stepping stone will help us bring in more players like Baccus, and whether we like it or not Aberdeen can offer more financial rewards and regular European football than we can. Good luck to the lad if this is what he wants and it happens, as long as we get what we think he is worth.

I am not fussed if Baccus goes as long as we get at least 300k. CBM is a better player and would work well with O'Hara. Baccus drifts out of games and his concentration is poor. 

Plenty other players we could pick up to replace him. 

Saying all that I wont believe it till I see him raising a red scarf above his head. 

It's amusing reading folk value a player - having no say on it whatsoever.

Baccus is a much better player than many appear to think. Probably because he shuts folk and potential passes down much more than scoring or assists. Fans like goals. 

Aberdeen management clearly saw what he has to offer - so its no surprise that they want him. Only surprise is the deals not done already.

31 minutes ago, AW saint said:

I am not fussed if Baccus goes as long as we get at least 300k. CBM is a better player and would work well with O'Hara. Baccus drifts out of games and his concentration is poor. 

Plenty other players we could pick up to replace him. 

Saying all that I wont believe it till I see him raising a red scarf above his head. 

Aaah, the old “he’s not that good anyway” when a player is linked elsewhere. 

Not a dig. 
Happens all the time, with every fan base. 
Including Aberdeen.

I must be living in a parallel universe to some of the folk who think it’s good business to sell one of if not our best players, to a league rival hours before the window closes.

Look at how integral he is to how the team are currently playing. 

Baccus for me when he’s on his game is levels above this league.

He’s determined to go and show what he’s got south of the border. If that doesn’t happen then I’ll be pissed off tbh.

13 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Not a dig. 
Including Aberdeen.

I genuinely don’t think anyone is saying he’s not that good.

For me anyway, the reason he’d be my preferred of the 3 usual suspects to leave, is that he’s the most replaceable. 
I do think O’Hara is better though and you can’t really compare him to Strain as they are completely different types of player. 

15 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Not a dig. 
Including Aberdeen.

Picked me up wrong. I think he is a good player but I prefer Boyd Munce who I reckon is going to be a star. Baccus is quality but he can be a bit in and out of games. 

25 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I genuinely don’t think anyone is saying he’s not that good.

For me anyway, the reason he’d be my preferred of the 3 usual suspects to leave, is that he’s the most replaceable. 
I do think O’Hara is better though and you can’t really compare him to Strain as they are completely different types of player. 

Don’t disagree. 

From looking outside in, O’Hara is your best player. 
Strain 2nd.

4 hours ago, GAD said:

For a team in the same league maybe £3-400k. I think Baccus is a good player, but he's a fairly common player, a decent box to box engine, reasonable in possession and works hard but he doesn't score lots of goals, or make a lot of assists. He looks good when you watch him play but I'm sure @RandomGuy. "ran the numbers" recently and stats wise he's nothing spectacular. I think we wouldn't lose much with Gogic and O'Hara as the 2 midfielders instead, in my opinion anyway.

Still, the 48 hours for a replacement bit is an issue.

One of the Aberdeen fans who does the heat maps and charts etc has him as a bear match for Ramadani.

3 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Robinson is cotracted until 2026. It would take some offer from Hibs to get us to even bite. Can't see it happening.

The article says his buyout is £250k. So imagine you would be looking at £350k for him and O'Carroll. 

If that's it's true of course