The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

17 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Is Flynniesta not doing his badges? Supposedly has his heid’ screwed on too. Hopefully all bollocks though and Hibs appoint some foreign jobber that will be touted as the next Postecoglu.

If we do lose Robinson, Flynn could be an excellent appointment. He seems to be a sensible, likeable lad whose remit as our next boss would be to keep things going exactly as they are at present.

Flynn would know exactly what Robinson has put in place, and both he and the existing players are already well-versed in the tactics that are working so well for us. It's essential that we don't bring in a new manager from outside (experienced or not) who would wish to impose different tactics. Our success has been based on a counter-attacking style combined with excellent fitness training and bloody hard work from every player from the first whistle to the last.

Not that I expect Robinson to leave us, of course. 🤞

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If we do lose Robinson, Flynn could be an excellent appointment. He seems to be a sensible, likeable lad whose remit as our next boss would be to keep things going exactly as they are at present.

Flynn would know exactly what Robinson has put in place, and both he and the existing players are already well-versed in the tactics that are working so well for us. It's essential that we don't bring in a new manager from outside (experienced or not) who would wish to impose different tactics. Our success has been based on a counter-attacking style combined with excellent fitness training and bloody hard work from every player from the first whistle to the last.

Not that I expect Robinson to leave us, of course. 🤞

For me Flynn would be a good assistant manager if Dairmid OCarroll was promoted to manager . Would also make every effort to keep Martin Foyle involved .

Edited by MenstrieSaint

As of 2pm this afternoon there had been zero contact between Hibs and St.Mirren regarding Robinson.

That's not to say it won't come, if Hibs are doing their job properly then of course he has to be a serious contender.

If he goes it will be a major blow, I don't think there can be any debate about that.

Definitely think I'd be offering the gig to Darmuid as first choice if it did happen though, an absolute no brainer if he is interested in being a number 1.

10 minutes ago, Div said:

As of 2pm this afternoon there had been zero contact between Hibs and St.Mirren regarding Robinson.

That's not to say it won't come, if Hibs are doing their job properly then of course he has to be a serious contender.

If he goes it will be a major blow, I don't think there can be any debate about that.

Definitely think I'd be offering the gig to Darmuid as first choice if it did happen though, an absolute no brainer if he is interested in being a number 1.

Darmuid would surely go to Hibs as we well.

Giving up the small shornt of success and if that’s it, I give up 

Robbo is not even out the door and it's silly season. Flynn won't get the gig and O'Carroll will go with Robbo if it happens.

I don't believe Robbo has taken us as far as he can. He is building us to new levels with each transfer window. He could take us further with luck. 

He is however envious of bigger budgets and that is what could tempt him. Money talks but job satisfaction comes into play as well. 

If he goes he will be a hard act to follow. 

See just for once, I’d love to see a manager say..”I’ve started a job here and I want to finish it. I’m not going to be like snow aff a dyke because some slightly bigger basket case of a club has flashed their skants at me. I’ve loved it here and I’ll move on when the job is done”. Is that really too much to ask?

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

He might not go this time, but how about the next time a job comes up?  Only a matter of time.  

Enjoy the weekend. 

It's what happens when you have a brilliant manager mate. Not something Dundee have had to worry about for a long time.

7 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

See just for once, I’d love to see a manager say..”I’ve started a job here and I want to finish it. I’m not going to be like snow aff a dyke because some slightly bigger basket case of a club has flashed their skants at me. I’ve loved it here and I’ll move on when the job is done”. Is that really too much to ask?

Well, it is a bit actually, because if that same manager then goes on a six game losing run, no matter the circumstances, he'll have fans screaming for his head and at some clubs at least would probably get sacked.

7 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Fans should do the same then.  Manager signs 3 year contract.  Can't demand he's sacked ever... 

4 minutes ago, GAD said:

It's what happens when you have a brilliant manager mate. Not something Dundee have had to worry about for a long time.

Mate, we punted our last manager even after him getting us promotion. We have pretty high standards down Dens Park way these days.  

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

He might not go this time, but how about the next time a job comes up?  Only a matter of time.  

Enjoy the weekend. 

Something Dundee fans don’t need to worry about, the yoyo team.

9 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Darmuid would surely go to Hibs as we well.

Giving up the small shornt of success and if that’s it, I give up 

Which is why I don't think Hibs would go for Robbo . They have already paid off a manager and two assistants.  I think they would have to pay Gray off and pay Saints compo for OCarroll and Robbo if that were to happen.  That's another significant amount of money , which could be a decent transfer budget if say someone like Neil Lennon was appointed.  

That's what I'm telling myself .

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Well, it is a bit actually, because if that same manager then goes on a six game losing run, no matter the circumstances, he'll have fans screaming for his head and at some clubs at least would probably get sacked.

Yeah that’s not really what I meant. I more meant that I’d love to see a manager (when he’s at a club and in a job he clearly loves) to back himself and his team NOT to go on that 6 game losing run.