The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 minute ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

I know. That’s why we need to get him signed on a permanent contract. 

He's got three years on his 'Boro contract, having just penned a new one in the summer, so it's unlikely we'd be able to sign him.

Zach Hemming is up there now

he isn’t just an upgrade on Carson, he’s an total upgrade

i never rated Carson so I’m biased, but really, Carson wouldn’t have done that today

even when hemming kicked it long and it went out, geat tactic! 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

I know the league's our bread and butter, but I think the next game is absolutely massive. The chance of a Hampden semi-final, with Celtic having been knocked out, and with us on form, it's got to be said that we have a real chance of winning a major trophy. 

Silverware has to be what any club ultimately aspires to achieve, and this is a cracking opportunity. 

Edited by Black_and_White_Stripes

Don't know how long this train will go but it's definitely worth riding it til the wheels fall off it.

Points at this stage are money in the bank for the long slog ahed and without being negative, it actually affords us the breathing room of the inevitable rubbish spell when it comes without losing ground and playing catchup so much. 

The exciting part is that I'm still relatively confident that the good start can carry on a couple more weeks yet. Killie away is a rough place for us but we can definitely get something and Ross County and St. Johnstone sandwiching a visit of Rangers means thst hopefully we can see the first round of games out by time we head to Parkhead, still being in the European places with more strong points on the board.

Definitely not, in even the most optimistic of St. Mirren supporters eyes, would anyone dare to suggest 14 points from first 18. Honestly one game at a time but it's almost like this isn't real. I've been going to games for 29 years and have only known in my formative years, lower league Saints sides that were always in crisis and in my adult years, top flight Saints sides fighting and struggling to stay above the water line.

You hear guys talking about the teams of the 70s and 80s and wish you could have experienced it but only knew shite, struggling St. Mirren. It's honestly bizarre and surreal to look at us in the upper reaches of the league and understand just how genuinely special it is to be in this position, regardless of how short term it is.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Love the new walk out music. Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street, though a song about London is for me, Paisley's greatest contribution to music.  One of the all time classics and definitely should have a lasting place as part of the matchday experience.

Not for me...very few things rile me more than someone from Paisley who supports a team from Glasgow.

7 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

I know the league's our bread and butter, but I think the next game is absolutely massive. The chance of a Hampden semi-final, with Celtic having been knocked out, and with us on form, it's got to be said that we have a real chance of winning a major trophy. 

Silverware has to be what any club ultimately aspires to achieve, and this is a cracking opportunity. 

I came away thinking Wednesday will be a free hit. There is some merit in what RandomGuy said though a few weeks back. 

We've not actually achieved anything yet. If it transpires that we get a couple of seasons of 5th/6th and drop back down again, will I be upset that was out whack? Nah...I've been chuffed at the cohesion of the squad, the relationship built between team and fans and the memories of this period, however long it lasts, will stick with me forever.

A trophy though, something to show for the efforts would be unreal. Losing on Wednesday won't define our season, but winning definitely would be a further step towards something that does.

39 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

Player of the season (so far)  had to be Gogic.

This guy is miles better than any other player in our team and that include Hemming who had only made 1 mistake in 6 games. 

I wll settle for that for the rest of the season. 

Gogic had already won my vote for player of the season 

An absolute legend 

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I came away thinking Wednesday will be a free hit. There is some merit in what RandomGuy said though a few weeks back. 

We've not actually achieved anything yet. If it transpires that we get a couple of seasons of 5th/6th and drop back down again, will I be upset that was out whack? Nah...I've been chuffed at the cohesion of the squad, the relationship built between team and fans and the memories of this period, however long it lasts, will stick with me forever.

A trophy though, something to show for the efforts would be unreal. Losing on Wednesday won't define our season, but winning definitely would be a further step towards something that does.

Whilst it's true we haven't achieved anything yet, it's always difficult for teams like us to pick up silverware or get into Europe.

Looking at where we were only a few seasons back, shows how far we've progressed. 

It's still September and we're currently on 14 points after 6 games (and should probably be 16 points). To give some context in 19/20 season it took us until December (and 17 games) to get to 14 points. 18/19 it was February and 27 games. And in 16/17 it took us 23 games - in the Championship!

So, I understand opposing fans hitting us with the "you haven't achieved anything yet" patter, we should absolutely be enjoying it. Let them say it, as it does have a whiff of bitter envy about it.

Edited by houston_bud