The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

7 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Outwith the old firm every team can beat each other. If you are not at it 100% you can easily be turned over. The first 35 minutes against St Johnstone could have seen us behind before we clicked into place. 

We lost poor goals yesterday. The first was a disaster for Taylor. Second goal we were unlucky when it hit Frasers arm. 3rd and 4th were breakaways when we over committed players up the park. 

We got done by our own poor play. 

It may turn out to be a good thing. It will remind players to get back to working hard and doing what we do best.  

Robinson is right in everything he said after the game. 

Lets beat Livi and get back on track

Aye, that'll be a biggie, I'm sensing the love affair between Martindale and the Livi fans is no longer universal.

Pity we've got to wait a fortnight - fuck international football.

26 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Outwith the old firm every team can beat each other. If you are not at it 100% you can easily be turned over. The first 35 minutes against St Johnstone could have seen us behind before we clicked into place. 

We lost poor goals yesterday. The first was a disaster for Taylor. Second goal we were unlucky when it hit Frasers arm. 3rd and 4th were breakaways when we over committed players up the park. 

We got done by our own poor play. 

It may turn out to be a good thing. It will remind players to get back to working hard and doing what we do best.  

Robinson is right in everything he said after the game. 

Lets beat Livi and get back on track

Think it's pretty  plain to see teams have sussed us out and are playing us at our own game and we dont have a clue how to counter act it I've noticed there's a few teams playing that way now and not just in Scotland. 

For the most part the reaction to yesterday seems to be fairly measured and reasonable, aside from a few fannies on Twitter as usual.

We didn't deserve to beat St Johnstone 4-0, it was a bit of a freak result, and I'm willing to put yesterday down to the same (although we definitely deserved the nil). I remember years ago we beat Ross County 4-0 one week then promptly lost at Dens by the same scoreline the following week. These things happen.

Robinson's interview on Wednesday about it being the best performance of the season struck me as one of those occasions where the manager says one thing in public and another in private - and after defending them once he wasn't doing it again yesterday, not even using the illness as an excuse.

Hopefully the break does us good and allows us to get some players back to fitness.

1 hour ago, elvis said:

Think it's pretty  plain to see teams have sussed us out and are playing us at our own game and we dont have a clue how to counter act it I've noticed there's a few teams playing that way now and not just in Scotland. 

Think you got it spot on. Hibs plated ys at our own game and so did Dundee. We had lots of the ball yesterday but did nothing with it. 

We looked better against Celtic as their game is based on attack on the front foot. We are a counter attacking side. 

A wee change of tactics wouldnt go a miss if its not working. 

The 4 subs was a bad move by Robbo but he admitted that. 

We have also seen a few errors creep into our game which can happen but we beed to cut out. 3 have cost us goals recently. Gogic and Taylor twice. 

55 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Think you got it spot on. Hibs plated ys at our own game and so did Dundee. We had lots of the ball yesterday but did nothing with it. 

We looked better against Celtic as their game is based on attack on the front foot. We are a counter attacking side. 

A wee change of tactics wouldnt go a miss if its not working. 

The 4 subs was a bad move by Robbo but he admitted that. 

We have also seen a few errors creep into our game which can happen but we beed to cut out. 3 have cost us goals recently. Gogic and Taylor twice. 

We've played the same tactics since Robinson switched formation at the start of last season.

Are we saying that teams have finally sussed out the way we play after 60 odd games of football?

For me, the main difference in the last two games is a lack of energy that affected our pressing game and also several players off form, rather than teams sussing out our tactics.

Given the players we have, I really doubt there will any major change in our tactics and rightly so, as they've worked well for us so far.

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

We've played the same tactics since Robinson switched formation at the start of last season.

Are we saying that teams have finally sussed out the way we play after 60 odd games of football?

For me, the main difference in the last two games is a lack of energy that affected our pressing game and also several players off form, rather than teams sussing out our tactics.

Given the players we have, I really doubt there will any major change in our tactics and rightly so, as they've worked well for us so far.

Not buying this to be honest but its all about opinions. We need a planB. Yes we lacked energy but we have not played to our formation etc. 

Strain never complemented McMenamin at all against Hibs. This wasn't down to energy it was down to not playing him in. 

We had enough of the ball yesterday but did nothing with it. Only Tanser played his natural game like he did in midweek. 

We have to try changing it if things don't come off. 

59 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Not buying this to be honest but its all about opinions. We need a planB. Yes we lacked energy but we have not played to our formation etc. 

Strain never complemented McMenamin at all against Hibs. This wasn't down to energy it was down to not playing him in. 

We had enough of the ball yesterday but did nothing with it. Only Tanser played his natural game like he did in midweek. 

We have to try changing it if things don't come off. 

It's as plain as day,.

Did Robbo change his tactics last season when we lost a game?

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

It's as plain as day,.

Did Robbo change his tactics last season when we lost a game?

I get you. However, i do feel we need to adapt and have a plan b or c. 

Every team has a system. Ours has been succesful to a large percentage. However Hibs cancelled our game out midweek and by and large our away form doesn't always lend to our system. 

I appreciate where you are coming from but there are times we could change it around to confuse the opposition. 

We may not have the players to change the system but we have enough quality to switch it if we are struggling. 

2 hours ago, AW saint said:

Strain never complemented McMenamin at all against Hibs. 

That is true. They were right in front of me second half, and all i could here was Ryan calling him shite. No wonder he didn't have a good game.

Most weeks he says he thinks he's brilliant and it seems to go much better.

14 hours ago, Hendo said:

That is true. They were right in front of me second half, and all i could here was Ryan calling him shite. No wonder he didn't have a good game.

Most weeks he says he thinks he's brilliant and it seems to go much better.

What happened to the Ryan Strain who would bomb up the wing and get crosses in ?  These days he reaches halfway and turns back to pass to Fraser .  🤷‍♂️

13 minutes ago, callum-g said:

What happened to the Ryan Strain who would bomb up the wing and get crosses in ?  These days he reaches halfway and turns back to pass to Fraser .  🤷‍♂️

Is he possibly seen as a thorn in the side to the opposition where a lot of good play comes through him getting high up the park. He was certainly cancelled out from doing this vs Hibs from what I seen. 

1 hour ago, smellthepaw said:

Is he possibly seen as a thorn in the side to the opposition where a lot of good play comes through him getting high up the park. He was certainly cancelled out from doing this vs Hibs from what I seen. 

Tanser ( a player I & many others criticised last season) gets doubled up on also but he seems to persevere and get more crosses in from the left as a result.  

4 hours ago, callum-g said:

Maybe because he has McMenemin in front of him and there is no space to run into? My complaint on Saturday (besides everyone being awful), was Kiltie and McMenemin were playing far too wide nullifying our own wing backs and leaving Mandron in the box on his own. And often he would go wide to get the ball leaving no-one in the box. The front players have to play a lot closer together and leave space for the wingbacks.

4 hours ago, Derryboy62 said:

And I like,  and I like , and I like , and I like, and I la-la-la like it, la-la-la like it ,here we goooooo, 

SUPER TREVOR CARSON IN GOAL

Loved him blowing kisses to the Saints fans on Saturday 😘 😘 😘

Wait to he goes to Ibrox, he'll be blowing the home fans there.